Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

*ASM Cessna 182 (10ft) 30-50cc*

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

*ASM Cessna 182 (10ft) 30-50cc*

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 11:18 AM
Silvers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow Thanks again FJ, Only an 1/8 down elev on full flap!! That will help me out a lot, I already set it up with about 1/2-3/4 inch down so I will be changing that asap.
I know that things will have to be changed at the field but it is nice to be some what close.

And I do have the Flaps and Elev setup on my TX for a slow scale look + I set a delay on the elev so they don't beet the Flaps down, I Love this new Tecnology Stuff !!! It keeps me Broke LOL
The elec starter is very very easy to install, and Cheap!!
Right now they only fit a hand full of engines, but as nice as it is I would say in the next few years they will be available for most engines.
www.milehighrc.com
Old 02-07-2014, 03:20 PM
FJRrider
My Feedback: (2)

Your welcome, that's great news about the starter being easy to install and the price isn't crazy. I'm curious to know if you used a single receiver, a power box, or twin receivers like I did splitting the aircraft into two separate systems, it's probably old school but works well for me.

This will probably not happen to you but on the maiden flight two years ago the Cess took off right to left all normal, but soon after lift off had a little more than a mild tendency to go left a bit scary, trimmed it out inflight and the rest of the flight went well, readjusted things on the ground been fine ever since. I can't remember if I built in right thrust or not.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:41 AM
Silvers

FJ, I used one 11 channel RX on this Plane. And to be Honest, I don't know how to do a twin RX but I have heard of this setup. Can you tell me the benefit 2?

And a while back in this forum I did some asking about Thrust Angle on this plane, I Noticed while installing the engine that the Factory did not have the angle built in.
I think most people replied with theirs flies fine without Right Thrust Angle. So I just installed mine without any.
Thanks for the Scary Maiden take off story!!! I am always shaking like crazy on all my maiden's to begin with LOL

Getting back to the Wheels, Yes the CNC machined alum wheels LOOKED GREAT!!! Right up until I covered them up withe the wheel pants LMAO
I did mount the wheel pants as high as I could, trying to show off some of that money and also I fly from a not to smooth grass runway.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	securedownload[1].jpg
Views:	190
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	1967323  
Old 02-10-2014, 11:49 AM
Silvers

The after market Wing bolts I installed happen to fall within the Factory recominded CG.
So this gives me a Great place to use my hand held cord balancer that came with my Aero Works Cessna 195.
I taped a bubble level to the floor between the seats and this worked well for a CG starting point, yes it does seem nose heavy but I will take that over Tail Heavy for the Maiden!!
The wing bolts worked good for a place to weigh the plane as well. I use a Repala digital fish scale that I haved used for years, it is right on the money and has several memory points.
I was unable to hold the plane and snap the pic at the same time but my plane weighed in at just under 34 pounds.

Name:	CG.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1967333   Click image for larger version

Name:	Switch 2.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	1967334   Click image for larger version

Name:	bubble.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	1967335   Click image for larger version

Name:	Weigh 1.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	1967336  
Old 02-11-2014, 12:50 PM
rtigg
My Feedback: (7)

I have a G62 installed with a electric starter as well.
Very cool way to balance ,Thanks
Old 02-11-2014, 02:20 PM
Silvers

Hey Rtigg do you have that G-62 in a ASM Cessna?
If you have any pics please post a few.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:30 PM
FJRrider

Silvers, I installed the twin RX system on both the Cess and my 33% Super Cub, on the advice of Don from Dons hobbies, ( now retired) he's published a few books on giant RC, and nice enough to take time over the phone explaining to me how to install two receivers, I didn't have a clue before we talked.
As far as the benefit I really don't know, maybe a certain amount of redundancy, I just don't know enough to say for sure, but would happy to explain how to install it, it's really easy.

I checked my notes on the Cess and did not add any right thrust, so my exciting maiden flight was probably a shaking right thumb confusing the plane.

I would really like to have brakes on mine, if nothing else just to do a brakes on simulated mag check. Do you use an air system to actuate them?
Old 02-11-2014, 03:51 PM
FJRrider

Silvers, I'm still using the stock wing mount system, and as you know leaves a whole lot to be desired, I'd like to use the same mount system as you have, just need some info on the way you set it up, it's been kind of frustrating when I install the wings at the flying site it never goes that smooth.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:07 PM
Silvers

FJ, if you go back to page 17 I posted a pic of how I did the wing bolts. And for once I did something right LOL. With a small peice of fuel tube on the bolts in between the 2 panel ply frame, keeps the bolts in place ready to go!!
And of course Blind nuts or T nuts inside the wing rib, very easy to do check the pics out.

The two RX thing sounds cool but that will not only blow my mind, It will blow my wallet. The JR 11-channel RX is 185.00 LOL I better stick with one

The Brake system I was going to install would have worked just fine with the factory wheels. It is a cool drum brake system that comes with fish line 50# tes or so and just string it up to a heavy duty servo.
But I had a people tell me on here that they went with larger wheels, so I decided with our rough grass runways that they were right and now no brakes and larger wheels.
I got them at Hobby KIng, but now I see Hobby King has a real nice set of elec brakes that could maybe work.
I didn't want air brakes for the simple reason of having to bring a pump too the field, and maybe a bit lazy
Old 02-11-2014, 05:14 PM
Silvers

Oh Hey FJ,
The brake system I was going to use is on page 16, if you would like to take a look.
I have another Plane that I will be useing them on, along with the wheels that came with this ASM Cessna.
A lot of this stuff as we all know has to be reengineered.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:57 PM
FJRrider

Silvers, the wing bolts look great, that mod is at the top of my list of improvements, just got to decide on the bolt size, no more searching for the threaded hole in the wing tube.

I have no doubt you would have the RX setup dialed in just a few minutes of explanation, especially after seeing the other cool things you've installed on your Cess, but as I've told other people, I have no data to back up the benefit of dual RX, it just works for me so far.

I know what you mean concerning any kind of air system, I used air retracts on a mustang it was a big pain. The Hobby King fish line drum brakes might work the price is low enough to try them, guess I have to use their wheels, not sure if 2.75" is what I have on now, need to do some measurements.

The electric brakes would be perfect, but I'm running out of channels I'm using a JR 9503 and dual AR8000 Spectrum's, the channel is probably there but I don't know how to access it.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:08 PM
Captmicom

1/4x20 good stout bolt and easy to get at Ace Hardware.....
Old 02-12-2014, 04:40 PM
Silvers

FJ,
If I did mine over again, I would have used the same size bolts that are used in the wing struts and fuse to tail section. That way one size allen wrench is all you need out at the feild. I messed up and not only used a differant size, I used a standerd allen socket head

If you don't mind I would like to know how you set up the dual RXs, It might come in handy and when it comes too RC Planes I am all ears!!

Good to hear your a JR Man!!
Have you seen the new JR 28X soon to be on the market?
It is not only the best TX JR has ever made, it is so far ahead of all the others that it will more then likely be a few years before they all catch up.
The case is cast alum, Touch screen, voice telemetry and voice recongnition the list goes on an on!!
Check it out, here is a link http://www.modelflight.com.au/blog/n...-jr-28x-radio/

Oh yeah I am now working on the cowl Louvers!! Thanks FJ
Old 02-13-2014, 05:05 PM
FJRrider

Thanks Capt, I may have that size here. One reason I didn't do this mod was the gap between the inside fuse and outer wall seemed like a weak point to tighten bolts into, maybe a support block between them would help even out the pressure.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:21 PM
Captmicom

Yes I am sorry, I forgot to mention that you can close up the gap with about 5 or 6 pieces of 1/8 hight ply cut 1"x1.5" give or take a little. That is what I used when I did my first big 182. I did not like the way the wings were held on the plane. I will do the same thing to the next one once I can start it.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:16 PM
FJRrider

Silvers,
The duel RX was explained to me this way, I've used it twice now and has worked out well.
Think of your airplane as a right half and a left half, each half has it's own RX, Batt., regulator, and switch, so you have a #1 side and a #2 side. On the right side, #1 RX, I plug the RT aileron, throttle, rudder, and LT Elevator. On the left side, # 2 RX, I plug the left aileron into Aux 2, the right elevator into aux 3, the eng kill switch into the gear port (although the kill switch can be Y ed into both RX gear port) , the flaps I used both RX 1 & 2 but could be just Y harnessed into one RX. The reason for crossing over the left and right elevators is in the event of a single RX loss, you would have elevator on one side and aileron on the other. The engine of course has it's own switch reg and batt.
Hopefully I've written this so it makes sense to anyone that's never done this type of setup. Don't hesitate to ask.

I've pretty much have always used JR they do seem to always be a few years ahead of the competition. That 28X is just awesome, I'm almost afraid to see what the price is going to be.

By the way my wheels are 4" dia. so the Hobby King brakes are out.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:23 PM
FJRrider

Oh okay that sounds like a good way to do it, I'll use that same method. The wing bolt mod is # 1 on my to do list for the Cess.

Thanks!
Old 02-13-2014, 07:42 PM
Captmicom

We have also been binding two Spektrum receivers together to a single model from almost day one of the 2.4g radios. It works great!! By the way we are distributing for XPS products. The new 32 ch 2.4g radio will be hitting the market place very soon. I am waiting for my first one. The beta versions have been tested here in the states for over 4 years now. This is designed right here in the good old USA by an American.... It is slatted to cost you $259.95 with 2 receivers. If I remember correctly it will be flash-able to 64 ch sometime in the future. You will bind multi receivers to one model. Another cool product is the "X10+ channel expander" It takes the place of the main receiver for servo interface with 10 ch on it but the great thing is it has a Sick 80A power bus for the servos!! No more Brownouts!! You can power it with from 1.8v to 16v. You can daisy chain them together to run more servos and power each one stand-a-lone. I will be using this on my new 96" FW190. Let me know what you guys think about this. Thanks....
Old 02-15-2014, 06:27 AM
Silvers

Thanks FJ
I have read that over several times and I now have a better understanding of the dual RX setup. I also spent some time on the WEB reading about it.
The real benefit that most people say about this setup is that by having two RX and one should fail, you still have a good chance of landing your plane safe.
You did a great job explaining your setup to me and between that and my WEB searching, I have learned a lot!!
Now I am also learning about power box setup's and how to hook up dual battery's to one RX in case one dies or a switch fails or bad connection.
Here is a one of the youtube videos I found
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMbhBF052Xg
Old 02-15-2014, 03:29 PM
FJRrider

I'm glad my 2 RX info was useful to you, it's much easier than the guy from the UK made it look, he had me confused LOL.
The power box setup is something I'm going to look into, even if I never use it. I think most of the IMAC guys use the power box, so they must have some good reasons to use it. I do know that if you're running multiple servos on the ailerons, and elevators, some power box's have a match box type adjustment built into them, making it possible to tune each servo to run in perfect alignment.

Last edited by FJRrider; 02-16-2014 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:37 PM
Captmicom

Yes they do.. It is called Big hunking servos sucking the life out of your receiver. Just keep it simple.. What radio are you using?
Old 02-16-2014, 09:14 AM
FJRrider

Capt, I'm using a JR 9503 and 2 Spectrum 8000 RX's on each of my 33% Super cub, Cessna and Pitts.

I'm seriously thinking of buying A Pilot 40% Decathlon from Chief Aircraft, this is where I'm not sure if I should use the duel RX on this huge airplane, or install one of the better power distribution systems available. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 02-16-2014, 09:28 AM
FJRrider

Capt, 80A power bus! now that's some serious on tap power for the big planes, and 32 channels, that's an incredible price.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:57 PM
Silvers

Hey FJ, I checked out that 40% Pilot Decathlon from Cheif that you are thinking about. That is a nice plane and big!! I like the looks of that plane and I even watched a Maiden Video on youtube. Looks like a nice flying plane too.
I can't offer any advice on the power systems because you are already a head of me in that department. But looks like it would be a cool plane for an onboard starter system!!!
AJ Hobby has Fema Starters and Fema has been making starters for years so they should be a good starter. Heres a link to AJ Hobby http://www.ajhobby.com/product.asp?pid=2843

I think my next plane will be Horizan Hobby's new DHC-2 Beaver 110" wing span. http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...arf-HAN4545#t2
Check it out tell me what you think, if you click on Manuals & Support tab and open the pdf Manual you will be able to better see the construction. Looks to me like it is really put together nicely and the hardware looks like good stuff too.
Oh well that is the plane I am dreaming of now LOL yes I will go onboard starter again
Old 02-18-2014, 05:33 PM
FJRrider

Silvers, that Beaver on floats is one of my all time favorite bush planes, I'm sure you'll enjoy it, the manual looks good, and Horizon Hobby is really a good company to do business with. The fact they offer a very scale ARF set of floats just for that plane is a huge bonus, if you've never flown floats you have a big treat ahead, it's just plain fun, and how cool would it be self starting on the water.

Speaking of floats I'm in the process of building a set of 33% Balsa USA floats for my 1/3 Super Cub, they are very scale and a real pain to build, but about 70% done so I've got to stay with it.

I'll pop in an old photo of my 25% Sig Super Cub and a buddies 25% Sig J3 on floats at a lake in Northern CA 15 years ago, I sold mine but both of them are still alive.

Thanks for the starter link, unless I've missed something looks like they don't make one for a DLE 120, or a DA 120

Name:	Kurt and Daves Cubs.png
Views:	235
Size:	2.25 MB
ID:	1969871  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.