Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Picco 45 RC SE

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 10:28 AM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Picco 45 RC SE

I recently bought a used Picco 45 SE RC with a slide barrel carb. I like Italian engines so this more rare aero engine was hard to pass up.

It was in need of some care so I disassembled it and cleaned it. Even though the engine appears to have been run a fair bit, compression is still pretty good and bearings are silky smooth. The front bearing is a sealed type.

It came with a muffler that appears might be an original Picco but the exhaust cone was damaged or the tail "hammered" flat for some reason. It also has a fair bit of varnish/fuel build-up which seems to come off fairly easily with a little effort. I would like to use this engine with a pipe so I'm not overly concerned with the muffler.

Does anyone have any info and/or experience with this engine - manuals, leaflets from the manufacturer? What kind of performance can be expected (rpm, fuel, plug, prop)?

The exhaust is somewhat unusual in that it is round - akin to some of the older Rossi engines. One would need a custom header (I imagine) or an adapter made to use a standard Rossi 45 header say with a rectangular exhaust opening. I have some Macs headers of this kind so perhaps the adapter would be the way to go unless CMB, Picco or some other source might make the appropriate header for this engine.

Here are some pics of the engine. The first ones I took, the second ones I found here on RCU but there wasn't much info on that thread (it was a for sale thread).

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks in advance, David.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27319.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	513.0 KB
ID:	1607570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71045.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	506.2 KB
ID:	1607571   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99740.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	474.1 KB
ID:	1607572   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cw64580.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	480.8 KB
ID:	1607573   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eq87462.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	468.8 KB
ID:	1607574   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ct16488.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	465.1 KB
ID:	1607575   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rt32521.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	419.5 KB
ID:	1607576   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq58119.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	432.8 KB
ID:	1607577  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46373.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	1607578   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93862.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	1607579   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty66735.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	1607580   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cv61464.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	1607581  
Old 05-12-2011, 10:39 AM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Picco 45 RC SE

I've owned and flown a few of these strong engines. A Canadian distributor still offers pipes, parts, and mufflers for it. It's been discontinued since 1994 I believe. I have an old RCM magazine article, Clearance Lee wrote impressive testing on it. The rpm I maintained was 17,000 rpm with 9X6 prop. I used 5% Byrons fuel and a Rossi R4 plug. It's a little stronger than a Rossi. Skyward carried on the design but the carb and other configurations were mild compared to the original Picco you have. It's an ABC engine that tunes very easily.

I flew one on a Zen 50 from World models. These get on the pipe very nicely and that's an excellent choice for exhaust over the small mufflers they came with.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:01 AM
doxilia

Rambler,

thanks for your reply. From the thread I obtained the second set of photos, I take it you bought one of yours from SamoaFlyer?

Do you happen to know who the Canadian distributor is that carried the pipes and parts? Skyward is a brand that was (is) sold/marketed by a hobby shop which is around the corner from where I live. The shop (its more of a distributor is some respects) is called UDISCO. They still have a number of Skyward engines (and other stuff, they branded Ultracote as Skyward covering) but nothing like this engine that I know of - but I'll have to ask. Maybe the distributor you have in mind is a different one?

17K on a 9x6 and 5% is impressive. The prop is a little smaller than what I would want to use. Have you run it on a 10x6 or 10x7? Being a revver I imagine that going to an 11x6 would be too much prop for it to run at its best.

If you happen to have that RCM article, I'd be grateful for a copy of it. Are you able to scan and post it (PDF or JPG)?

I was just planning on using 5% or FAI fuel being an Italian brute and I have some R4 plugs so I'll have to bench it. Problem is, I still need that header. How did you setup your header and pipe on the Zen?

David.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:20 AM
rambler53

Write robair81 on E bay, that's the guy that sold me a few skywards over the years and he would email me an attachment of the article. The last RCM I had went with the last Picco I sold. I had 400 engines, I'm down to 10, leaving the hobby behind for awhile and I"ll just be an RCU forum hen posting my opinions, like so many before me. I'll have to dig up an old invoice to find the distributor, it's been 3 or 4 years back. This question came up a few times this year and I commented, so a RCU forum search will show the link as someone else had mentioned the same distributor, or wait for someone to catch this one as I did to have the info at the ready for you.

Like Rossi, they just don't like load from bigger props, they're tuned to scream. Bog it down like an OS, and it's going to disappoint you never reaching it's potential. Remove the back plate and marvel at the size of the connecting rod. It's made to run up there. Get a pylon prop with as much pitch as you can throw at it. These don't even warm up much running hard, it's a really strong engine for the rpm band it likes to be in. APC pylon 9X6.5 is decent. Match your low drag plane with this engine like a quickie 500, scat cat, delta wing, pylon racer, midget mustang, etc.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:45 AM
doxilia

Rambler,

I'll write to robair81. Last I tried I got no reply from him though.

400 engines sounds pretty serious! If you find the invoice/distributor the info would be much appreciated.

I looked for info on this engine but didn't land too many threads of real relevance. But I'm using "Picco" as a thread search parameter - maybe it's referenced to some other parameter? I also looked on RCG with similar results - there isn't much out there on this engine other than for marine applications.

I'll have to pick up some pylon props and see how it does compared to a 10x6, 10x7. I actually have some Scat Cat plans (pretty simple model) but was hoping to use it on a classic pattern design more along the lines of what you used it for (the Zen). A Dirty Birdy/UFO 40 or a Tiporare 40 come to mind.

David.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:58 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Udisco sold/sells Skyward Engines.

http://www.udisco.com/hobbies/
Old 05-12-2011, 01:13 PM
modeltronics
My Feedback: (27)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just looked at the Udisco site and unless I missed it I could not find a 40/45 size muffler. I would like to find one also. I do know they made two kinds. One is like the long cast Rossi muffler. The other looks like a big black hot dog, you don’t want this one.

I have a Picco 60 in a kit from the UK called a Wot4....it screams. If I remember right I tried a Picco 80 on a plane and could never get it to run right. From what I read above I think I was over loading it by over propping it. I put it back in the box and used a ST 75. I still have a NIB Picco 21 FIRE that I'm saving for something that should be right for it.

Pete
Old 05-12-2011, 01:21 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might be able to save the old muffler, albeit it won't look pristine. You can use a propane torch to heat up the aluminum tail part real good to anneal it or soften it, and then you should be able to work the sides apart to open it back up.
Sounds like the original owner had a oops and drove over the tail pipe or something before you got it. or one of his little kids discovered how a hammer works.

The Rossi mufflers look like they ought to fit. There is a Rossi dealer that sells them online and on Ebay as well.
http://shop.vendio.com/RossiEnginesU...246/index.html

Old 05-12-2011, 02:53 PM
maxtenet

I have a Picco .40 and a Skyward .40, both unrun. I was going to use the Picco on my Tsunami. My question: Other than the carb and black color, what is the difference between the two? Looking in the ports they look the same as is intake duration. I kinda like the Black color of the Skyward but if there is a significant power difference I'll use the Picco. Obviously, I can put the Picco carb on the Skyward if that is the only diff. Or I could get a black Perry pumper carb! Any input?

Max
Old 05-12-2011, 07:46 PM
doxilia

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll head over to Udisco and see what they have. Maybe they just might have a muffler that fits although what I'd really like is a header so I can run a pipe on it. We'll see.

Here's a picture of the muffler that came with. For some reason it was black from what seems like "soot". It's not varnish and I see no reason for so much fuel to deposit on the outside on to which, over the course of time, dirt would adhere and then burn on. I ran some acetone over it to see if it would come off and it seems to come right off (note the silver part). It wasn't quite flattened top to bottom as if a car drove over it, it is more like someone took a hammer and pounded the exhaust duct flat. Frankly, it doesn't look like a great piece of engineering but maybe the rear could be cut off and replaced with something like a Rossi or ST muffler. Then again, with an adapter, perhaps the Rossi headers and/or mufflers would work.

Pete, is this the one that you were recommending?

BTW, I have just the recommendation for a 21 sized FIRE engine. I have been drafting one of Dick Sarpolus' designs, the Hammer, into CAD. The original prototype flew well with a K&B 3.5 FIRE on a Macs muffled and/or regular tuned pipe.

I scaled the model up just a tad from 50" to 52" span to better accomodate the setup I have in mind - an OS 25 VF with a Hatori 200 pipe. This is going to be the test bed for another cool RE 25 sized model - Kato's Skymaster - a model with a fiberglass canopy with pipe under it. I am also working on bringing that model back to life in the form of CAD. If you are interested, drop me a PM. The Hammer is getting close to finished - just working on some little but important details.

David.

Name:	Jg14097.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	515.0 KB
ID:	1607831   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67458.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	501.2 KB
ID:	1607832  
Old 05-12-2011, 07:56 PM
doxilia

Max,

if you are talking about the Direct Connection (later Juno) Tsunami, the Picco 40 sounds like a great candidate! I did a build thread on mine but have yet to maiden it. Mine has an S40 blue head on a Macs pipe.

Are you building yours or is it done?

here's the thread if you are interested:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7951975/tm.htm

David.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:47 AM
modeltronics

David
Yes, that is the good one of the two types I have seen. To me it looks very much like one of the Rossi mufflers.

I would be very interested in a copy of you plans for the Hammer. I could work with almost any CAD format. It would be a good place to use my Picco 21.

Thanks,
Pete
Old 05-13-2011, 04:58 AM
rambler53

ORIGINAL: Broken Wings

Udisco sold/sells Skyward Engines.

http://www.udisco.com/hobbies/
http://www.udisco.com/hobbies/inv/SKYW10.HTM Parts listed under Balsawood? Silly Canadians.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:51 AM
modeltronics

Not bad for less than 20 bucks but I wish they would show what version of the muffler they are selling.

Pete
Old 05-13-2011, 07:53 AM
doxilia

I'll have to go over to Udisco to check what they actually do have in stock. That web site is highly unreliable from what I've discovered.

Pete,

the Hammer plans are being finished up but I have been building a little lately. The design is such that it would be best to laser cut this kit. I added a little bit of structure where i felt it was needed but removed material in other places so it should hopefully still come in at 56 oz max. I'm hoping 50 oz dry, 56 wet.

When I'm finished and have the plans at the cutters, I'll drop you a PM as I could have a second kit cut. Usually I have all material cut except for what I call "longware"; sticks and sheeting that are longer than 24". Otherwise all wood would be there and a printed copy of the plans. I lay the plans out on two sheets (fuse/formers and wing/stab).

I think it will be a pretty cool model with a RE engine and pipe under the hood. I also bet a Picco 21 FIRE will make it ballistic - maybe even faster than the OS 25 VF. Here's a snap of where I'm at with the fuse plan. Wing plan is being finalized which will require slight mods to the fuse saddle and other minor details.

David.

Name:	Yw68894.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	1607983  
Old 05-15-2011, 05:00 AM
maxtenet

Hey Doxilia,

I actually posted on that thread myself. I am about halfway through on the Tsunami. It is an original Direct connections kit that I saw on the shelf at the hobby store 10 years age and when I went back the guy still had it. got it for 70 bucks.

When are you going to fly yours? I'm anxious to hear how well it flies.

I still haven' heard any info on the Picco vs. Skyward engines.

Max
Old 12-09-2023, 07:41 AM
pjwright

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a new, unused Picco muffler for the .45RC SE engine. Verify 13.7mm exhaust port and 30mm bolt spacing.
[email protected]