Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

UMS Evolution Radial Care and Operation

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

UMS Evolution Radial Care and Operation

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 08:30 AM
BeasleyBunch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: UMS Evolution Radial Care and Operation

Steve,

If you do go w/ Solo Prop it might be a good idea to order an extra blade or two at the time of purchase. They are custom made and if, down the road,you dobreak oneyou will have an extra made from the same batch...ready to go.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:42 PM
radial1951

Yikes! 23x14 x4 blades!! That is some serious pitch. The EVO book only suggests a 24x12 x2 blade...

Steve, I think Tom is on the right track. The 22x10 x4 you already have seems a bit small, so the next best thing is the 24x10 x4.

Your Corsair's performance with the 22x8 3 blade @ 6500rpm is the benchmark. The EVO99 with the 24x10 4 blade might only see 5500rpm. That should / might / could equate to better performance...

(EEEK This is a tough one!)

Regards RossG
radial1951

ORIGINAL: Maxam

Steve, My vote is the 24x10 4 blade, next what you have.. EEEK This is a tough one! -Tom
Old 03-09-2012, 11:26 AM
slskn
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well I talked to Troy built models again, and another guy says the 23 x14 is too much, and the 24x10 will only push the plane at 50 mph when you calculate the Pitch x`s the rpm, for example 5000 rpm x 10 pitch= 50 mph, so now they say at least a 12 pitch and maybe 22 or 23 in. dia. should pull it 20 or so mph faster, or 5500 x 12 = 6600, but I think I may keep this 22x10x4 just to get the end result for the info and go from there! thanks guys I will report the findings when I get the correct fuel and give it a try, now fuel selection uuuummmmmm?...................Steve
Old 03-09-2012, 05:31 PM
gregquin

ORIGINAL: radial1951

ORIGINAL: Maxam

Ross, I am confident you will be pleased with a 7-77..... Anyway, as I have said, I have had great enjoyment with these engines. Please read my essays and Pete Bergstroms comments earlier in the thread to help insure your success. Press that Buy Button!!! -Tom
Tom, IT'S DONE ! ! ! No idea what I'll do with it. I just like engines... :-) Will be here early next week. I wonder if it is man enough to power a 97'' Gee Bee Y. A mate has one with a G62 and 23x8. Goes great, sounds lousy! Needs a radial!

Anyway, no hurry, will play with it and just admire it for quite a while. After 2 years, my Saito 325 is finally getting closer to it's new home, the big CMPro Zero. An ideal combination.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Regards, RossG
radial1951

Hey Ross.

I have one of the UMS Seidels 7-70. I have that in a 97" Gee Bee Y from Austar Models. You will have no problems at all with the 7-77.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56620.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	1736870  
Old 03-10-2012, 04:25 PM
radial1951

Hi Greg

That's exactly the GeeBee I was refering to. Looks great, love the telescopic wheel pants. Didn't you originally plan to put the 7-70 in a Peashooter? I looked up some of your previous posts (big brother is watching!) and downloaded your video of the first run of your 7-70. Well done. And lots of good info on fuel, glow setup etc.

Do you have a vid of the GeeBee flying? That would be good.

Thanks for your input.

Regards RossG
radial1951

ORIGINAL: gregquin

Hey Ross.

I have one of the UMS Seidels 7-70. I have that in a 97" Gee Bee Y from Austar Models. You will have no problems at all with the 7-77.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:25 AM
gregquin

Peashooter is still underway. But the 7-70 is not looking good for it. The cowl ring on the peashooter is considerably larger than the engine, and it just wouldn't look right. (The Peashooter has a large blanking plate covering the crankcase, with just the cylinders poking out on the full-size. The 7-70 would be hidden by this plate) and lets face it...the main reason for putting these radials into a model is for the bling, both visual and aural.
So I would need to go for a radial with almost twice the diameter of the 7-70, or a big single. and use a dummy.

I haven't got a video yet of the Gee Bee, but I am working on it.

Word of warning regards those lovely telescopic wheel pants. The wheels they supply are......ordinary...... One collapsed on me (to be fair I had modified it to take bearings), the resultant wheel wobble tore the leg out of the wing. Do as I eventually did, and buy a pair of good wheels.

Greg
Old 03-11-2012, 10:06 AM
cymaz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maidened my plane with the 7-77 and Mcdaniels on board glow...that has really transformed an already great engine. The idle is supreme and transition is good. You won't be disappionted with the Mcdaniels.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:47 PM
radial1951

Greg

Thanks for the info, ARFs often have low cost wheels. Plastic hubs running on plated wire axles....

Careful if you restrict airflow over the cam drive housing. The Saitos get quite hot in the nose. Because I don't like the blue painted engraving on the EVOs, looks a bit tacky to me, sorry Pete, I was going to turn up an alloy cover ring for the EVO77 until I checked the possibility of heat buildup....

Regards, RossG
radial1951

ORIGINAL: gregquin

Peashooter is still underway. But the 7-70 is not looking good for it. The cowl ring on the peashooter is considerably larger than the engine, and it just wouldn't look right. (The Peashooter has a large blanking plate covering the crankcase, with just the cylinders poking out on the full-size. The 7-70 would be hidden by this plate) and lets face it...the main reason for putting these radials into a model is for the bling, both visual and aural.

Word of warning regards those lovely telescopic wheel pants. The wheels they supply are......ordinary...... One collapsed on me (to be fair I had modified it to take bearings), the resultant wheel wobble tore the leg out of the wing. Do as I eventually did, and buy a pair of good wheels.

Greg
Old 03-11-2012, 02:39 PM
radial1951

Well donecymaz!We need pictures and avideo asap!

BTW,
did you make the exhaust ring in the pic below? Are they the original EVO header pipes, if so how are they fixed to the main ring? What is the "container" fixed near the exhaust outlet?

Thanks.

Regards, RossG
radial1951

ORIGINAL: cymaz

Maidened my plane with the 7-77 and Mcdaniels on board glow...that has really transformed an already great engine. The idle is supreme and transition is good. You won't be disappionted with the Mcdaniels.

Name:	Ec88416.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	294.7 KB
ID:	1737660  
Old 03-11-2012, 02:51 PM
cymaz

The ring is fixed to the collector ring with nuts and olives the "container" is detail from the original crop duster picture I worked off

Name:	Ig11059.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	1737668  
Old 03-11-2012, 03:04 PM
Maxam
My Feedback: (62)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Soooooooooo, Did it fly nice?? Look good in the air? -Tom
Old 03-12-2012, 04:07 AM
cymaz

Flew very well....The wing ribs,spars and fuselage formers I had laser cut off plan. This ensured that everything was square straight and true. It does fly better at speed, my first ( maiden) flight I flew it too slow, understandable I suppose. The landing was too slow.

Second flight was much better. Riched the top end by 2clicks increased the glow run time and of course flew it faster. This made the control crisper and the plane respoded better. Landing was better....flew it in under power all the way, its a 24lbs plane and draggy. So she lives to fly another day.

Oh, and it hates to take off x wind and will protest by swinging about a bit, landing very x wind is a bit of a no -no as well. The parasol wing will get alot of wind under it
Old 03-12-2012, 04:34 AM
Maxam

Great, glad to hear it! These are fun engines! -Tom
Old 03-12-2012, 05:11 AM
cymaz

Here is the Video [link=http://youtu.be/FBnhp7x3WWQ]link[/link]
Old 03-15-2012, 05:47 PM
slskn

well I got my Keleo exhaust ring in for my 999 and what a job it was to install!!! some of the exhaust nuts did not line up with the cylinders and about 4 hours later, finally decided to call the manufacturer up and complain, but after talking to the guy, it turns out I had to loosen the cylinder flange allen heads and the intake at the top of the head, turn the cylinder jugs a degree or two to get the threads to line up, start a few threads and then realign the cylinder jugs and tighten them back down, made me a little nervous but it seemed to work! the ring itself at the joints (three piece ring) were off about a millimeter, another words not inline, but the clamps they give you brought them together with some heat resistent silicone, but once it is on it is solid. had to cut the length of the bottom tail pipe about 1/2in. below the corsair cowl, pheeeuuuwww more work than I expected but turned out nice! hoping to learn how to post pics of the Corsair.........Steve
Old 03-15-2012, 05:48 PM
slskn

well I got my Keleo exhaust ring in for my 999 and what a job it was to install!!! some of the exhaust nuts did not line up with the cylinders and about 4 hours later, finally decided to call the manufacturer up and complain, but after talking to the guy, it turns out I had to loosen the cylinder flange allen heads and the intake at the top of the head, turn the cylinder jugs a degree or two to get the threads to line up, start a few threads and then realign the cylinder jugs and tighten them back down, made me a little nervous but it seemed to work! the ring itself at the joints (three piece ring) were off about a millimeter, another words not inline, but the clamps they give you brought them together with some heat resistent silicone, but once it is on it is solid. had to cut the length of the bottom tail pipe about 1/2in. below the corsair cowl, pheeeuuuwww more work than I expected but turned out nice! hoping to learn how to post pics of the Corsair.........Steve
Old 03-15-2012, 06:26 PM
BeasleyBunch

Interesting... I received my 9-99 a few days ago, but haven't tried to mount it yet. The metal ring clamps they provide are bare metal inside and out... What heat resistent silicone are you speaking about? There were no instructions...just the 3 zip lock bags with the ring sections...so thanks for the heads-up on installation "procedures"!

Name:	Zx72393.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	1739184   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm35754.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	1739185   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr42278.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	1739186  
Old 03-15-2012, 08:23 PM
slskn

I tried to assemble the exhaust ring as per the instructions, (which were simple and vaque), and it did not go as he stated, however, the 3 piece ring do not go into each other, rather they butt up to each other, and the clamp fits equally over the 3 sections and he recommends putting sillicone where the ring butts up to each other to help seal any exhaust leak, I used a automotive heat sillicone gasket type sealer, which he said will work great, so good luck setting it up!
Old 03-16-2012, 03:28 AM
Maxam

I have one of these 3 piece exhausts myself and it has many flights on it. When installing I did press internal 1/2 inch long tubes on the inside. It was a near miracle that I had brass tubing that its outside diameter was a good fit to the rings inside diameter. This ring is on my Robin Hood 99 shown elsewhere in this thread. -Tom
Old 03-16-2012, 03:47 AM
cymaz

Thought of trying a different prop on me evo/ums 7-77. Currently on a 24x10 but would like some more thrust , any thoughts or suggestions??

My exhaust ring came from Horizon. I loosened everthing up but it still took along time to wrestle on.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:24 AM
slskn

Great Idea Tom, I was thinking of the same thing but could not find the right dia. of tubing, but once all together it seems pretty strong.

Name:	Jg14000.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	1739299  
Old 03-16-2012, 04:27 AM
slskn

just figured out how to up load pics, thus my T-28, trying to find the Corsair pics.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:02 PM
DamBo

Question
If I were to use oil and methanol mix without nitro.
What oil can be used?
Old 03-17-2012, 03:36 PM
Maxam

Dambo, You can just buy no nitro fuel like usual and just dilute with methanol to the correct oil%. Easy to do. -Tom
Old 03-17-2012, 04:40 PM
DamBo

Yes i have been doing that but why waste nitro on an engine that does mot require nitro?
I figured since it is a special mix anyway and needs to be its own seperate container.
And a quart of oil mixed with methanol would go a long way why not try it.
So, back to my question, any synthetic oil or a castor would work. How about mobil lite?
I mix it in my turbine fuel, handles heat and burns clean ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.