Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

UMS Evolution Radial Care and Operation

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

UMS Evolution Radial Care and Operation

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 08:48 AM
RichardGee
My Feedback: (156)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: UMS Evolution Radial Care and Operation

NOPE. Just have a GOOD NiCad 4.8v pack. The McD "pulses" the plugs and "fools" them into thinking they are seeing 1.5v... this has to do with the "duty cycle" and is not something you need to worry about with ONE EXCEPTION:: This pulsing DOES induce RF! I NEVER had a problem even on 72 Mhz, but 2.4 Ghz equipment will be completely bulletproof. I would recommend you use 2.4 radio equipment for this reason (and no less than a dozen other reasons)...
Old 02-23-2012, 10:48 AM
Maxam
My Feedback: (62)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I am not sure how to interpret the "nope". The pulses of 4.8 volts are spaced to average 1.5 v thus the average of the duty cycle. The plug actually gets 4.8 volts but the pulse is off before it overheats and starts to cool waiting for the next pulse. Kinda like the old pulsing speed controls for brushed motors which was hell on the commutators. This is how all this was explained to me many years ago. If I have the concept wrong maybe McDaniel RC could chime in and straighten me out! Anyway my goal and certainly everyone elses it to exchange ideas and thus enjoy our wonderful radials. I was getting kinda bored with the hobby before these engines came along. Five years ago I would never have dreamed to have planes and matching engines like these. The Saito and UMS radials from Horizon have been for me pure joy. I would love to have the new OS 7 cylinder but $3500.00 is just too much. I am sure it is a great engine!

Joel, What are you going to put your new 7-35 on?? I do not have a project in mind yet for mine. -Tom
Old 02-23-2012, 05:12 PM
Joel_L

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Tom,

I'm going to try it on a Top Flite Staggerwing.

http://dabbles-n-doodads.com/RC/Staggerwing.html

Joel
Old 02-23-2012, 05:33 PM
Maxam

Oh Yeah I remember! Sorry. Thank you for your pictures. That would sure look good in the air. -Tom
Old 02-23-2012, 11:24 PM
cymaz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great tips and advice thankyou, its on 2.4 as all my planes are. Just swapped all the fleet using [link=http://www.giantcod.co.uk/frsky-tfr6-p-406505.html]these [/link] . Most club members use them and at this price - what's not to like. Easy to bind and set up cheap reliable, perfect for the average flier.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89096.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	1731026   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76208.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	1731027  
Old 02-28-2012, 09:05 AM
Maxam

Good news!! The 7-77's are back in stock!! Great engine. I need another one! -Tom
Old 02-28-2012, 11:57 PM
radial1951

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Tom

This past week I have been SO close to hitting the BUY button on a 7-77... Not sure why I haven't done it. Probably tomorrow!

Do you know why the Evo radials only need 6-8% oil? And no nitro... Do they have roller bearings on the crankpin? Is there an excess oil drain like on the Saitos? Has anyone taken one apart and photographed the inside parts?

So many questions...

Regards, RossG
radial1951

ORIGINAL: Maxam

Good news!! The 7-77's are back in stock!! Great engine. I need another one! -Tom
Old 02-29-2012, 04:09 AM
Maxam

Ross, I am confident you will be pleased with a 7-77. To answer your questions; Yes there is a roller bearing on the master rod. I am not sure about the low nitro question. Many people use on-board glow assist, I do not. A bit of nitro gives a more reliable idle and a bit more power. I run around 7% nitro. There is not a crankcase drain as it is the fuel/air distribution chamber unlike the Saito radials. A drain would cause a lean condition. You can drain it by removing a lower cam follower. Earlier in the thread lars took his 7-35 apart to show (or was it Linkan?). Anyway, as I have said, I have had great enjoyment with these engines. Please read my essays and Pete Bergstroms comments earlier in the thread to help insure your success. Press that Buy Button!!! -Tom
Old 02-29-2012, 06:40 AM
slskn
My Feedback: (4)

Maxam, when you say you don`t use on board glo How do you start your engine? or do you mean you use it to start it but not keep it on during flight? they say that the radials don`t like the nitro, but yet the manufacturer say 0 to 10% is ok so would using 10% be be harmful in any way?................just wondering?
Old 02-29-2012, 06:57 AM
cymaz

I ran my 7-77 in with 5% nitro. once run in for 3 hours and warmed up it would flick over twice by hand and start. I have found that you need to let the engine ingest plenty of fuel and get it quite "wet" to start. The fuel has a long way to travel before reaching the cylinders. I am fitting a Sonic Tronics glow to mine as I found the bottom cylinders went out on idle on a cold day.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:57 AM
Maxam

I have a wiring harness to all the plugs and the other end is simply a hidden plug that I plug my battery to. I keep it attached until the engine has been warmed and run up to 1/2 throttle. After returning the engine to idle I unplug the battery. Thats it.
As said earlier nitro improves the idle and power BUT after oiling becomes an even more critical operation with nitro use. I use airtool oil (15-20 ml) followed by about 5ml of blueblock turning the engine several times. When at home I check the engine the next day to see if it is still "silky" when turned. If not oil is drained from a bottom follower and more is added. In the oold days before instructions and before Horizon distributed the engines I broke mine in with plain old 16 % oil 15% nitro fuel and the engine ran great! -Tom

Cymaz, colder days I have found make them a bit harder to run. These engines in my experence love hot days!
Old 02-29-2012, 07:16 AM
Maxam

All; Evolution Engines will be soon be offering onboard glow drivers for the radials. For those interested I am not sure of the release date. Perhaps Pete could bring us up to date on this product. It is supposed to draw less current and use 2C lipo's directly! -Tom
Old 02-29-2012, 01:52 PM
BeasleyBunch

Well, Horizon has no information on the ETA of their exhaust rings…so I took the advice of an anonymous source, and spent an extra $60 and purchased the Keleo 9-99 exhaust ring. It was in stock and should be here in a few days. Probably will be worth the extra $$ in the long run…<o></o>Thanks anonymous!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16948.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	1733754  
Old 02-29-2012, 02:03 PM
RichardGee
My Feedback: (156)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The two-piece Keleo will make installing the collector ring INFINITELY EASIER!

On the Evolution glow drivers: I would be wary about using LiPo's for a glow driver only because LiPos should only be charged when removed from the aircraft. I have found that my glow driver battery is often difficult to get to, which is why the NiCad packs used by the McD are so convenient.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:47 AM
radial1951

Ross, I am confident you will be pleased with a 7-77..... Anyway, as I have said, I have had great enjoyment with these engines. Please read my essays and Pete Bergstroms comments earlier in the thread to help insure your success. Press that Buy Button!!! -Tom
Tom, IT'SDONE ! ! ! No idea what I'll do with it. I just like engines... :-) Will be here early next week. I wonder if it is man enough to power a 97" Gee Bee Y. A mate has one with a G62 and 23x8. Goes great, sounds lousy! Needs a radial!

Anyway, no hurry, will play with it and just admire it for quite a while. After 2 years, my Saito 325 is finally getting closer to it's new home, the big CMPro Zero. An ideal combination.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Regards, RossG
radial1951

Old 03-01-2012, 05:36 AM
cymaz

As you know, run it in as per book. Three hours is tedious but mine did just that and it is still getting freer. Compression is good
Old 03-01-2012, 06:26 AM
Maxam

Congrats Ross! Yes Cymaz is correct. Run it on the bench, learn its traits and because it is such a cool engine it is just fun to run in its own right. Like the saito 325 it will not let you down. -Tom
Old 03-01-2012, 07:20 AM
cymaz

News just in.......my Mcdaniels glow is now at USPS mail facility NY. Soon to be in the UK, can't wait
Old 03-01-2012, 01:12 PM
radial1951

Thanks guys, I'm really looking forward to it! I run the Saito 325 every few weeks on a timber mount in the vice. It was maidened in an 80" Yak-50 but we don't talk about that... The 200R3 is in a 68" SU-31. Both are great running engines but very different in character. As you know, the 5cyl sounds magnificent.

Enough Saito stuff, this is about Seidel-UMS-EVO radials. The first thing is to come up with a shorter name!!

Regards RossG
radial1951

Congrats Ross! Yes Cymaz is correct. Run it on the bench, learn its traits and because it is such a cool engine it is just fun to run in its own right. Like the saito 325 it will not let you down. -Tom
Old 03-02-2012, 12:44 AM
cymaz

How about S.U.M.O.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:52 AM
Maxam

Or UMS evo's???
Old 03-02-2012, 07:59 AM
Pete Bergstrom

How about Evolution Radial Engines - That would be really simple.

Pete
Old 03-03-2012, 07:12 AM
radial1951

ORIGINAL: cymaz

How about S.U.M.O.
That's clever... :-) would be great if they were made in Japan!

Quote: How about Evolution Radial Engines - That would be really simple.
Pete

The correct name. I just knew HH would drop the UMS bit asap ;-)

I think an abbreviated name will evolve(!) on the forum.

Anyhow, my new Evo77 will be here by Tues. There will be an official unboxing ceremony...

Regards RossG
radial1951

Old 03-03-2012, 07:18 AM
cymaz

Can I have a front row seat
Old 03-03-2012, 02:02 PM
radial1951

ORIGINAL: cymaz

Can I have a front row seat
You bet. Owners of EVO Radials get priority seating! Wow, unveiling the first EVO Radial sold in Australia.

There will be a photo op (with refreshments lol) afterwards...

For those unable to attend, pictures will be posted.

radial1951
_________

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.