Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

OS 75 Break In Prop Size And General Issues

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS 75 Break In Prop Size And General Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 04:57 AM
Maxdog.vf213
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 75 Break In Prop Size And General Issues

Hey Guys,

Ihave just completed My Very First build and need some prop knowledge as I amgetting tired of so many people sayin so much differ stuff, bottom line Ibuilt an Extra 300S .75 Size and Iput in a New OS 75 AX in her. What Iam asking is what is the best size prop for the break-in? Seems everywhere Igo I read 15 differ things from 15 differ people...

Also Iam interested in hearing about any issues anyone has had with this set-up as It was My VERYFIRST Build and My Very First Aerobatic Plane.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Everyone.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27872.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1696028   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19154.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	1696029  
Old 12-06-2011, 05:34 AM
controlliner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: OS 75 Break In Prop Size And General Issues

OS give very good instruction on the prop range you can sucessfully use on the engine. You can't go wrong with their recommendations.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:11 AM
Maxdog.vf213

Thanks but the range is very large in the book and I am trying to get ideas from people who have done this set up before. Just prefer to hear of what others have done and go from there, is why Iposted in a forum, others try differ things with sometimes great results, other times not so much. Just want to hear other peoples experiences.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:56 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Use a 14 x 6 to start out. It will allow the engine to turn up a bit. Then you can choose other propellers as needed to get the desired performance out of your airplane. You can go as low as 12 x 7 or 8 if you want more RPM and horsepower...won't necessarily fly your airplane better, though. You have to try different props to "tune" the airframe/engine combination.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:07 AM
Maxdog.vf213

Awesome, Thanks so much for the info, Iactually put a 14x6 on Her lastnight hoping it was the right call as Iam just going to be regular flying for the first few weeks just to get comfortable with the plane, I am not one of those who rush into crazy flying as I prefer My planes come home in the same great shape they showed up at the field and is also My first plane that isnt an "Easy Flyer" My reg plane ifly every day is a 70 inch Stylus with a Thunder Tiger 91s and Her iCan fly with My eyes closed. I am really hoping My new Extra is easyish to fly and landas just a stressless fly day kinda thing,no aerobatics or anything. Just want to fly her normal for the first few weeks as I am breaking in the engine and breaking in My flying of this type of plane.

Is She an "easy, normal day flying" plane? (Not sure if that makes any sense) LOL.

Wish Ihad really greatPilots around Me that I know to help Me Maiden Her..lol. Unfortunatly 90% of the people in My club that aregreat PilotsthatIwould trust with My Baby are all very much Older and dont go out if the temp is under 50 degrees,or They are at work all day. Im lucky as Ilive 3 min from our field and work mostly from home but unlucky cause Iam still newish to flying and wont maiden a new Plane. as Imentioned before, Iwont risk destroying a plane cause I am "Impatient"..lol.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:39 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You'll find that the Extra will be a bit faster than the Stylus and a lot more aerobatic (once you get around to trying that)

As for, "Just flying around", it will be similar, just a little faster and a little less forgiving.

Be careful when turning to final that you don't let her get too slow or the inside wing could stall and she'll drop out of the sky like a rock.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:26 AM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
14x6 is a .90 size prop so it might be a little to big for a OS.75...But try it out andf see if it works! 13x8, 13x7 and 13x6 is also worth trying.
Best propellers are APC , RAM and Graupner! Avoid MA!
Old 12-06-2011, 08:40 AM
Maxdog.vf213

Great, Thanks so much guys, I was trying to email you 2, (Minn and Jaka) but it seems My email isnt set up to just click on it and get to send a message. Iuse yahoo as My email service but it keeps telling Me something about windows live, but anyways if there is a way you can contact Me as Ihave some further questions on the subject of My new Extra and OSEngine, Iam still rather new to this hobby. Been flying for 3 months but all the Instructors in My club say that Iahve a natural skill but I am still very Cautious when flying new planes.

Again Iappreciate the help everyone..
Old 12-06-2011, 08:41 AM
MinnFlyer

jaka, Bax is the rep from OS Engines. If he says a 14x6, you can take that to the bank

I turn a Graupner 14x7 on my OS 75AX which is the same prop I used for break-in. And believe me, with the RPM I'm getting, that prop id NOT too big!
Old 12-06-2011, 09:13 AM
Maxdog.vf213

Thanks for the info Bax, Tried to PM you as Ihad a few questions for you but it wouldnt work. Im rather new to the forums so not sure if Idid it right or if you have your PMs disabled but was wondering if the size you stated was ok for just regular, non Aerobatic flight and if the size is ok for the breakin period.

Thanks again.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:59 AM
Kaos Rulz

Maxdog,

First off - That's a very good building job on your plane.
Second - I think your dog might be possessed [X(]
Third - Go with either the 14x6, or 14x7 for at least the first gallon
Last - Don't try to float this one in for a landing. It doesn't have to be real hot, just keep the nose slightly down until time to flair.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:15 AM
Maxdog.vf213

Well thanks on the compliment, feels good tohear I did well from othersonMy build, being its My very first.

As far as the props go, 14x6 is what Ihave on there now as Ihad a few already around for My Stylus so that works out.

As far as the landing goes, thank you for that info as that was one of My concerns, air speed for landing. Iam a rather good Pilot Iam told, especially for the short time Ihave been flying so Taking off is usually pretty basic for most planes unless its a warbird as they seem to have some MAJOR Prop Pull In My opinion and Ihave issues with em big time since Ihavent really practiced alot of Rudder use aside from small adjustments on landing, if Iam high enough, just not comfortable using it low to the ground. I have a big worry about damaging My planes as most do Im sure but Me more so cause Idont have a place to repair as Ilive in a condo so Ihave to hang My planes in the spare bedroom, plus Idont really know to much about plane repair.

Also, How does My dog look possesed?? lol.

(Just looked at pic and get it now.. The flash in the eyes..lol.)

Max.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:31 PM
MetallicaJunkie

my friend has a 75 ax.... its crazy powerful.... it rips a 14x6 mas on a 60 sized trainer....
Old 12-06-2011, 05:05 PM
Maxdog.vf213

Cool deal, Iam using a 14x6 XOARProp and Ihave heard alot of bad things about the Master Air Screws. Heard the APC props are the best but they are SOOOOUgly and Plain..lol.

Now the 14x6 is that good for all flying or best for after break in? And if so what is the best size for break in process?
Old 12-06-2011, 05:12 PM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: Maxdog.vf213

Cool deal, I am using a 14x6 XOAR Prop and I have heard alot of bad things about the Master Air Screws. Heard the APC props are the best but they are SOOOO Ugly and Plain..lol.

Now the 14x6 is that good for all flying or best for after break in? And if so what is the best size for break in process?
it depends on what kind of flying you want to do...there are speed props(12x10 then there are 3d14x4 props and sport 13x6 scale cub type prop 14x6... something like that
Old 12-06-2011, 05:18 PM
Maxdog.vf213

ll for a while Iwill just be doing regular patern flying and landing practicling, nothing major, so Ican get comfortable with her. Iam a patient Pilot. Iwould rather take My time and ALWAYScome home with a beautiful plane rather then trying to run before Ican walk, muchless crawl if ya catch My drift. So for some time Iwill be just playing the "Getting used to Her" game.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:29 PM
MinnFlyer

There is no "best" prop for break in. The 14x6 will do fine, and Xoar is an excellent prop for anything.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:43 PM
Maxdog.vf213

Great Deal, Thanks so much for all the help, now Ijust need to have someone actually around (Easier said then done) who is a greatpilotto Maiden Her for Me and take Me up a few times so I can get comfortable with Her. Is nothing worse to Me then not being able to fly cause you dont have anyone around but once a week if your lucky to help you our for an hour or so. Lol.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:44 PM
MinnFlyer

I'd be happy to help you... but it's too $%&# cold!
Old 12-06-2011, 08:30 PM
Maxdog.vf213

Cold I dont mind, Wind Ihate butIbought Ski's for Snow Flying with My Stylus..lol. Plus Your about 10 hours + from Me.. The thought is appreciated though. Very Much.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:37 PM
MinnFlyer

Something to keep in mind is that you're only about a 4 hr drive to Toledo. Every April there is a HUGE trade show there. Put it on your calendar. It's worth the trip.

Ken Isaac, Geoff barber and I cover it each year for RCU Magazine. Here's a link to last year's coverage

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1338
Old 12-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Maxdog.vf213

Oh very nice.. Love trade shows, will forsure be there, need some help let Me know, would gladly help out just for the knowledge if nothing else.. But really,How great is that, you work in something that you love to do also, how Ienvy you.. We have a hobby store here that has people who have knowledge in EVERYTHING aside from RCplanes yet they wont hire anyone who knows stuff about it even though so many go in there and shop and have questions no onetherecan answer, gets old real fast. Been trying to get a job there part time for the discount or something, for years now with no luck, winter is My very slow time of the year..lol.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:53 AM
Kaos Rulz

ORIGINAL: Maxdog.vf213

Well thanks on the compliment, feels good to hear I did well from others on My build, being its My very first.

As far as the props go, 14x6 is what I have on there now as I had a few already around for My Stylus so that works out.

As far as the landing goes, thank you for that info as that was one of My concerns, air speed for landing. I am a rather good Pilot I am told, especially for the short time I have been flying so Taking off is usually pretty basic for most planes unless its a warbird as they seem to have some MAJOR Prop Pull In My opinion and I have issues with em big time since I havent really practiced alot of Rudder use aside from small adjustments on landing, if I am high enough, just not comfortable using it low to the ground. I have a big worry about damaging My planes as most do Im sure but Me more so cause I dont have a place to repair as I live in a condo so I have to hang My planes in the spare bedroom, plus I dont really know to much about plane repair.

Also, How does My dog look possesed?? lol.

(Just looked at pic and get it now.. The flash in the eyes..lol.)

Max.

Max,

I was just funnin' with ya about your dog. I'd never insult a man's dog unlesssssss it was a three legged, one eye, one ear, broken tail, one nut, and fully shaved dog named "Lucky"
Old 12-07-2011, 05:32 AM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

Hi Max,

I have the same plane and fly it with a 90 size gas engine, so it's a little on the heavy side.
This is a great plane, just keep the speed in there. She sure likes to drop a wing quickly if she too slow.
Since mine is somewhat heavy, I snapped the landing gear off a few times and finally replaced it with a one piece main gear.
Other then that it is build very well and takes some beating.
It'll have plenty of power with an OS 75
Old 12-07-2011, 06:10 AM
Maxdog.vf213

[/quote]

Max,

I was just funnin' with ya about your dog. I'd never insult a man's dog unlesssssss it was a three legged, one eye, one ear, broken tail, one nut, and fully shaved dog named "Lucky"
[/quote]

Oh Iknow Bro, I was trying to figure out why you thought that but then after Iposted how whas he possesed I realized it was cause of the glowing eyes, then Iedited, that ISeen what ya meant..

No smartdude ever makes fun of a mans dog in serious, some women do but no one everclaimed they were as smart as us.(Just kidding ladies)But anyways,I figured you wereplayin aroundsoIs all good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.