Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

How to rejuvenate a long stored OS 1.08 ?

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

How to rejuvenate a long stored OS 1.08 ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 08:38 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How to rejuvenate a long stored OS 1.08 ?

Yes it will do a good job of protecting metal, but the problem is gumming up and feezing the engine. Castor oil also does a very good job of protecting the metal, and has the same problem with gumming. However the castor doesn't freeze up as hard, and disolves in fuel or methanol and is easy to clean out as a result. Note the test report you cited mentions the problem with gumming up.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:04 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For starters, the metal was soaked in water. It was only a 72 hour test. If a model airplane engine crankshaft and bearings get that treatment they deserve the rust, imo. But, 72 hours isn't very long in crankshaft years.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:31 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Heat will free the engine the fastest and safest. I have used a MonoKote heat gun to free stuck carbs. Pull the carb off, heat it and unstick it and put the rest of the engine in the oven at the lowest setting for a bit. It will free up and then you can flush with fuel, oil, etc and then decide if you need bearings and such.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:22 AM
spinner
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all who replied to my request for info. I ended up soaking the engine (carb included) in denatured alcohol for 1 day. That got everything loose again so I then filled the engine with a super penetrating oil and let that soak for half a day. The bearings looked OK so I put it all back together and mounted it on my test stand. It fired on the first flip and ran well at low RPM but died due to overheating when I ran it at high RPM for about 30 seconds. I let the engine cool and restarted but alternated between high and low RPM for the rest of the 12 oz fuel tank. The engine seems OK now but I will probably bench test a little more. The bearings seem OK but may still be a little tight from congealed castor which would explain the overheating. Thanks again
Old 09-11-2012, 10:21 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Junk/varnish stuck to the sleeve will cause overheating too. Varnish can build up on the sleeve and when the motor gets hot, the varnish gets sticky causing the engine to overheat. I had OS .46 that did this every 2-3 gallons of fuel. If it doesnt burn out, take a piece of 400 wet-or-dry wrapped around your finger and oil the sleeve up. Then while twisting your finger, run the sleeve up and down until you can see faint sanding marks. Some guys have used brake cylinder hones, but I was always afraid that it would remove too much material too quickly.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:17 PM
pe reivers

ORIGINAL: spinner

Thanks to all who replied to my request for info. I ended up soaking the engine (carb included) in denatured alcohol for 1 day. That got everything loose again so I then filled the engine with a super penetrating oil and let that soak for half a day. The bearings looked OK so I put it all back together and mounted it on my test stand. It fired on the first flip and ran well at low RPM but died due to overheating when I ran it at high RPM for about 30 seconds. I let the engine cool and restarted but alternated between high and low RPM for the rest of the 12 oz fuel tank. The engine seems OK now but I will probably bench test a little more. The bearings seem OK but may still be a little tight from congealed castor which would explain the overheating. Thanks again
Pay special attention to the carb fuel flow passages. They need a thorough cleaning before the engine will run well.