Old 04-09-2015, 08:42 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

So do I!
Old 04-09-2015, 08:45 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by fritzke
ASP's are being sold by Hobby King. They sell OS and Cox too. They claim to have all models listed in stock. Nitroplanes lists many many ASP's, but only 3 are NOT tagged "Out of Stock". Many of those are gone for good (the .09 for example...). I have not seen SuperTigre mentioned yet...but "Order Pending" on all.... Dave
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...w_Engines.html
http://www.nitroplanes.com/asp.html?...FQaLaQodmBsA-w
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...SM&C=GCE&V=SUP
Yup, the only aero engine nitroplanes has is the .32 and 2 heli's; I've seen those Super Tigres pending order from Tower for a long long time, which tells me that there is a good likelihood they may be dropped. Only engine on Hobby King back ordered is a heli engine.

Yesterday a friend brought over an ASP .15 Hornet that we ran up on my test stand in my back yard. It's got a very small chambered muffler, but seems to put out decent thrust. I was very impressed, seems to be a sweet running little sport engine. He's putting it in a Sterling 54 inch wingspan Piper Cub kit plane, originally single channel with auxiliary throttle converted to full house. Being light weight, it should fly fine on its 4 oz. fuel tank, may be even snag a thermal or two.

I've already got enough .15's, 2 - Enya .15-III TV's, an OS Max .15R/C, an OS Max .15FP-S, a Fox .15-X and a TT .15GP, which is a really sweet running engine, that as intriguing as that ASP is, I'm satisfied for now.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:57 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you unscrew the stinger on the muffler it will go a bit better. It is an .09 based muffler and crank, so it is a bit small for a .15. (.135 really)
Old 04-10-2015, 06:48 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by aspeed
If you unscrew the stinger on the muffler it will go a bit better. It is an .09 based muffler and crank, so it is a bit small for a .15. (.135 really)
Going by their numbers of 15.5mm bore and 12mm stroke, PI()/4*1.55^2*1.2*0.061024 = .138 say .14 cubic inch displacement. Not having mic'd it may be that is more approximate and your numbers closer to actual. In this case my friend wants to extend the exhaust to get it away from the plane with about a 2 inch tubing extension through bottom of plane, so stinger is required for that.

Regarding exaggerated manufacturer displacement classification figures, my Enya .09-III TV has a bore of 0.512 inch and 0.480 stroke, which calculated out comes to 0.099 cubic inch. It is more like a .10. My OS Max .15FP-S OTOH comes out to .151 which is closer to actual.

In this case use is strictly sport use and not speed, so even with the slight rpm loss it will still do fine. One thing I did notice is that the muffler is screwed in place with 3 aluminum gasket washers. To change angle from straight down to another orientation, one removes washers until desired orientation is achieved.

Last edited by GallopingGhostler; 04-10-2015 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Math correction.