Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Super Tigre 90 identification

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 03:21 AM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Tigre 90 identification

I have picked up three Super Tigre 90 engines. One "G" and two "S". All three say "made in Italy" on the case. I read one article where someone said that some of the ones made in China may still have said "made in Italy" ?

Did the engines from China have a Chinese designation on them?

Just trying to figure out what I have.

Thanks

Tom
Old 02-14-2015, 04:25 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

If it says made in Italy on the side of the crankcase and no markings on the backplate, AFAIK it's Italian made. If it's made in China, it would have 'China' cast into the bqckplate recess. The G series was manufactured in Italy and China, the S series was only manufactured in Italy. I've been keeping my eyes open for a barstock head from an S90 for awhile, I have an S90K which has the square cast head and I think it's ugly.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:33 PM
tacx

Thanks, By the way what does "AFAIK" mean ?
Old 02-14-2015, 09:18 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

AFAIK means As Far As I Know.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:35 PM
CLBetten
My Feedback: (16)

I've read a lot of conversations involving the Italian engines versus Chinese. I've owned many of both (22 currently) and like the nostalgia of the engines made in their homeland. To be honest the only quality issues I've ever had were with very late Italian production engines with rough machine work on the guide for the throttle barrel. The partial spiral groove was so course it effected mixture and made the throttle sticky. The cure was a simple polishing to finish the work. When I see sale ads making a point that the engine is Made in Italy it makes no reflection upon the value for me. I love 'em all. I'm quite sure only G versions were made in China. The G having replaced the SK. The SK having replaced the S.

Last edited by CLBetten; 02-14-2015 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:27 AM
tacx

The "G" version I have says "made in Italy" on the case. I have not yet looked at the backplate as the engine is mounted in a plane.

Could this still be a Chinese version?
Old 02-15-2015, 06:20 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by tacx
The "G" version I have says "made in Italy" on the case. I have not yet looked at the backplate as the engine is mounted in a plane.

Could this still be a Chinese version?
Not real likely.

The G series was initially made in Italy and later China. It is the latest series of engines for ST. The S series came before the G series. The only differences between an S series and the SK series was the cylinder head. The S has a barstock machined head, the SK and later G series heads are square and sand cast. There were some carbs that had a oddly machined "dog-leg" guide channel that was easily repaired. I have several engines of that vintage and they all throttle well. I had a G2300 which was made in China and it ran fine. I got it from. Buddy and tuned it myself for him - it started well and throttled nice. I just didn't want any of the Chinese made engines. Just to remove any chance for one of the Chinese' quality off-days, I only wanted Italian made engines personally. I'd take a flawed-carb'd ST from Italy any day over a Chinese made ST. NOT hating or bashing, I just got preferences.