Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Glow Plug Departed engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 08:09 AM
warhwk
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Glow Plug Departed engine

Second flight with a used (Ebay) Magnum two-stroke 91. Engine lost power then dead sticked. Back on the bench I noticed the glow plug was pointing a bit off-center. I took the glow plug off, but could not find any issue with it. When I tried to start the engine on the bench, the glow plug ignitor shot off with the glow plug still attached.
When I looked closer, the glow plug thread insert had come out of the head!!

I first thought it was a defective heli-coil repair, but I could see the insert is press fit into the head and is shaped like a Torx socket. It may have been spot welded as well.
I don't have anything to lose by trying JB weld, but I don't want anyone standing next to the engine when it is started.

Has anyone seen something similar?
Old 04-25-2016, 10:01 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by warhwk
Second flight with a used (Ebay) Magnum two-stroke 91. Engine lost power then dead sticked. Back on the bench I noticed the glow plug was pointing a bit off-center. I took the glow plug off, but could not find any issue with it. When I tried to start the engine on the bench, the glow plug ignitor shot off with the glow plug still attached.
When I looked closer, the glow plug thread insert had come out of the head!!

I first thought it was a defective heli-coil repair, but I could see the insert is press fit into the head and is shaped like a Torx socket. It may have been spot welded as well.
I don't have anything to lose by trying JB weld, but I don't want anyone standing next to the engine when it is started.

Has anyone seen something similar?
Yes cracked carb collar, broken idle needle valve. Both broke very easily and both on Magnum engines. Poor CQ on metal process.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:41 AM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Magnum is not my favorite. I have had more problems with them than any other brand. Not that I havent had troubles with other name brand engines like my OS52Surpass that refuses to run right . A new cyl head should be in the works as JB weld breaks down at high temps.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:57 AM
warhwk
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have already ordered a replacement head. Even if a JB weld repair worked initially, I am concerned about having a "loaded" weapon on the flight line. LOL!

Question more out of curiosity....what are the nominal head temps on a glow engine? I would guess somewhere between 250 and 300?