Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS MAX 120 No Compression

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 02:26 AM
Propslapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS MAX 120 No Compression

Hi
I've got an OS MAX 120 AX that ran in total 40 minutes since new out of box on 20% oil and 10% nitro. It ran perfectly - no issues at all.
It was then standing for a year or so in my plane and when trying to start it, there is no compression.
Replacing the glow plug with a new one made no difference. The head 5 bolts are still factory tight - have checked it. The engine was not in any crash.

I've taken it off the plane - looking through the exhaust port I can see the piston go up and down as I turn the prop - cannot see any damage to the piston or ring, the engine turns freely, except there is no compression to start it.
It appears to have some compression turning the crank clockwise than turning it counter clockwise.
I have never came across this in any of my other 13 OS engines - I thought I knew engines well after 45 years of flying, but this one got me clueless.

Have somebody experienced this as well, or can give me some advice before stripping the engine down?
I'm really surprised as my other OS engines never gave me any trouble whatsover.

Cheers

Last edited by Propslapper; 09-26-2018 at 03:10 AM.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:45 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Sounds like you need to lube the piston, if you used fuel with castor, then the piston ring is stuck, spuz it up with a starter, it should limber up.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:30 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

You can soak the innards in acetone for 10 minutes and that will do a pretty good job of dissolving old oil and free up the ring a little bit. Once it frees up enough to get a little compression pop, fuel it up and hit it with a starter and it should run and fight itself with some running.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:51 PM
Propslapper

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
You can soak the innards in acetone for 10 minutes and that will do a pretty good job of dissolving old oil and free up the ring a little bit. Once it frees up enough to get a little compression pop, fuel it up and hit it with a starter and it should run and fight itself with some running.
Thanks guys, I will try it.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:52 PM
Propslapper

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
Sounds like you need to lube the piston, if you used fuel with castor, then the piston ring is stuck, spuz it up with a starter, it should limber up.
Thanks, will do.
Cheers
Old 09-27-2018, 09:41 AM
Jesse Open

Received 91 Likes on 83 Posts

A little added heat, along with that shot of solvent. Let the solvent soak a bit and heat moderately with a hair dryer while rotating the crank can also help free things up a bit. Even non-castor oiled engines get sticky at times. In that case, it is usually from the moisture that synthetics readily absorb.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:00 PM
MrMotor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing many people forget is to open the carb on a 4 cycle engine to feel compression. If the carb is not open the engine can get no air to compress. If there is compression turning the engine backwards, it gets air through the exhaust giving the engine something to compress even with the carb closed.
Old 10-05-2018, 03:51 AM
Propslapper

The OS 120AX is a 2 stroke engine.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:58 AM
MrMotor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I missed the AX part when I read the title.