Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

why are OS Type F glow plugs so expensive?

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

why are OS Type F glow plugs so expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 02:21 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default why are OS Type F glow plugs so expensive?

I've had a bad gallon of fuel throw me into the most incredible tizzy of changing plugs, adjusting valves, removing the fuel tank...
Change the plug first, then change the fuel. One of the most easily overlooked things.
And it does not matter if the fuel is old or not, not one bit. It could be bad at the factory.
Just had an episode with the new Kamdax ducted fan unit. Had been running 30%, bought some Odonnell 40%. Had less revs and my first dead stick. Concluded that the Kamdax will not run well on 40%.
Wrong. Coulple of weeks later, tried the same 40% in a Tokifan, and it would not run either. Son of a gun, the fuel was bad right out of the bottle. It happens.
By the way, on my Saitos, I have been running 30% heli fuel with a little extra castor thrown in...they LOVE it. Tons of power, long life, great idle. OS F plug...
Old 09-02-2003, 02:29 AM
RCDevote
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, when I have been able to afford it, all my Saitos love The Juice!
30% nitro baby!
Old 09-02-2003, 02:25 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Yup! The Saitos eat that stuff up! And it does not hurt plug life, either. That is, if you use an OS type F plug, har, har. The Saitos come with an Enya plug...I doubt they will be putting OS plugs in anytime soon!
I have been using the 30% in my Saitos for maybe three seasons now, with no ill effects. Mind you, I run my engines nice and rich, if I don't see a smoke trail, I land and fatten the needle.
I have not run 30% in any OS four strokes, don't know if it works as well.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:25 PM
Selftaught
Banned

I thought all Saitos came with McCoy plugs recently.
Fine for break-in but otherwise I just toss em'.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:39 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Could be. Last time I bought a new one, over a year ago, it was an Enya. I remember, because some glow drivers do not hold well on them. Like you, I was canny enough to use it for the break in, like somebody pointed out, liddle metal particles are not good for plug life...
Old 09-02-2003, 05:48 PM
Sport_Pilot

Hot plugs have a THINNER element.

Opps, stated it backwards. But this is not always true, making the same thickness longer, i.e. larger and more loops in the coil can also make the plug hotter, as well as the alloy content.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:40 PM
msupervee27

Default RE: why are OS Type F glow plugs so expensive?

that not even that much i have to pay $12 for my glow plugs
Old 07-20-2008, 08:37 PM
linkadrip

Isn't amazing how much prices change over the years. glow plugs prices sure do tell the story of a crappy economy. I need some glow plugs and have been searching for cheap plugs that will work. but it looks like i'm going to have to pay for them at the prices they are now. or just not fly anymore.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:39 PM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: msupervee27
that not even that much i have to pay $12 for my glow plugs
Original post 5/12/2003. OS F price 7.50

July 2008. OS F price 9.99

Many things have gone up a lot more in 5 years
Old 07-21-2008, 07:10 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just buy them at central hobbies, they are only $6.00.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:05 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Saitos haven't come with McCoys in them for about 5 years unless you got a really old stock one.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:12 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

The post about the McCoy plugs is dated 9/2/2003 6:25:59 PM.

I honestly thought this was a new thread until I saw carrellh's post a couple back. I always forget to look at post dates, too.

David
Old 07-21-2008, 10:21 PM
linkadrip

Yep that is a big leap from 2003 LOL..
Old 07-22-2008, 05:39 PM
Flyer95
My Feedback: (1)

A good glowplug is just a very very small investment compared to everything else needed to fly an airplane and they usually last forever. Well almost but 2-3years on the same plug is not unusuall.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:25 AM
xcellair

well guys i been reading all this,, the short life plugs most likely run too hot,lean run,or out of heat range,, wrong choice,,
I have cards of fox miricles and OS plugs, Enya 3,, guys,, standard fule,,OS8/Enya3's.. miracle,, a bit of nitro helps,, and once u go some nitroll its only covering ass on tuning and HP,, any plug runs better on 5% nitro,,
but nothing goes better than a well tuned enging,,even on standard 80/20 mix, its the fine tuning the right plug allows,,

ya cant generalise,, altho having said that,,i have OS 4 and 2 strokes,, OS plugs run so well,,in an overall range of engines, I run ASP,,SC, Enya , Magnums,, but all have to be tuned,, I only run NON nitro/standard mix, and I run against a lot of people using nitro to cover tuning inability,,

engines with bad idle transition or mid range,, smooth run,, are just chewing fuel ,, i havent seen anyone mention efficency,, you can fly longer and better on correct choices,,and dead stick is uncommon on my models,, this is what I think its bout,, always landing where you took off from,,not lost in the boondocks from flame out,,

if you do that you limit model life/crashed,, so this glow plug and application of knowledge counts a lot,, as you roll the throtel stick to full,, smooth transitions and crisp performance,,and an engine in harmony,, is when You know,, its all GOOOOOOOOO,, catch ya lal later guys,, I couldnt help commenting,,i usually just read,, not here to bag anyone,,

but i couldnt resist adding my ,, OS#8 worth,, my fav plug,, ha ha ha bloody typos,, glad i fly better than i type
Old 03-09-2009, 10:29 AM
controlliner

Order them from here.

http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...rod_id=FOX4702

The fox miracle plug is just like the type F and it is only $7.99 canadian. They are a bit hot but the idle is fine, I use them in my FS engines.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:48 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There are times that the Fox Miracle Plug acts cold natured for some people in four strokes
Old 03-09-2009, 02:22 PM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: controlliner

Order them from here.

http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...rod_id=FOX4702

The fox miracle plug is just like the type F and it is only $7.99 canadian. They are a bit hot but the idle is fine, I use them in my FS engines.
I've used the Fox Miracle plug and found it to be a false economy. An OS-F (and in 2-strokes an OS#8) will last quite literally for years of flying. The Fox plugs only lasted about six months before the catalytic effect dropped off noticeably (RPM drop when removing plug-lead).

They're okay for a cheap standby but if you want a plug that works *and lasts* then the OS (as expensive as they might be) are more economical in the long run.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:06 PM
djlyon

ditto
Old 03-10-2009, 08:06 AM
Sport_Pilot

The Fox Miricle plug is a colder plug, works worse than the OS F if you use low nitro fuel, and better if you use high nitro fuel. And yes if you are using low nitro fuel it will dirty up the plug so that it only lasts several months. Should work fine if you clean the plug and use higher nitro fuel.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:26 AM
mike early

http://www.centralhobbies.com/glow/glowplug.html

Cheapest OS "F" that I've found. $8.99

But what's with the YS glow plugs? I've never heard of anyone trying them in a Saito.....

Old 03-10-2009, 08:28 AM
xcellair

a Question,, has anyone got a plug cleaning system,, thats reliable and not degrade the plugs,, sometimes they are dirty,,so to speak,, buildup,, do we have a reliable method of cleaning, , seeing the question is why are they so expensive,, i know soaking them in glycol (antifreze) will work, left a day or 2 at room temp,, and flushed,,you can actually clean the whole engine ,if you want to,,,,,,,,,,,, any other ideas,, ,, lets hear what you guys do thats worked,,Phill
Old 03-10-2009, 08:29 AM
xcellair

a Question,, has anyone got a plug cleaning system,, thats reliable and not degrade the plugs,, sometimes they are dirty,,so to speak,, buildup,, do we have a reliable method of cleaning, , seeing the question is why are they so expensive,, i know soaking them in glycol (antifreze) will work, left a day or 2 at room temp,, and flushed,,you can actually clean the whole engine ,if you want to,,,,,,,,,,,, any other ideas,, ,, lets hear what you guys do thats worked,,Phill
Old 03-10-2009, 08:50 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

w8ye and I have discussed the Fox Miracle at length on the phone and here on these pages. My experience has been virtually the opposite of XJs. Some have lasted 5 years or more. I even used them in my LASER 1.80 Vee twin even though Neil Tidey says not to and currently have one in my LASER .70.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:50 PM
xcellair

what fuel mixx are you running hobbsy, to get such good running from the miracle,, I am not knocking any plugs,,

much can be th fuel mix ,i use standard,, methanol 80%/ coolpower/castor 20%,, some of the larger engines,, 90/ 10% castor,, but never nitro or other additives,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.