Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Magnum .91 Four Stroke --- Buy It?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 07:25 AM
bakes65

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum .91 Four Stroke --- Buy It?

The subject line says it all. I'm considering a Magnum .91 for a Sig "Pig" bipe. I'm looking for some feedback. Yes I've skimmed through the threads for information and I'm hearing two schools of thought: 1: Great Engine, and 2: Garbage. But on the same note, I've heard the same said for just about any product one does a search for.

How about some detailed feedback. If you like it, WHY? If you hate it, WHY?

Thanks in advance. It's almost flying season in upstate NY! Woo Woo!
Old 04-13-2004, 07:47 AM
Mighty Mouse-RCU
My Feedback: (145)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Magnum .91 Four Stroke --- Buy It?

I have many different 4 stroke engine including Saito, YS, Magnum, OS, TT. All of them run well. I have a Mag91 RFS on my Sig Hawg Bipe and it performs flawlessly. They are inexpensive engines, that run very well for the money. Put out good power and are very reliable. On the other hand, other engines "look" better and can be lighter and make a bit more power.
You wont go wrong with the engine. It is a good purchase. Hobby People has them on sale I believe.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:07 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A very good engine, best buy for the buck. As with any brand of 4 stroke, do check the valve settings before running it and again after about an hour of run time as all valves wear in a bit when new. After the first hour of running, you only need to check for valve clearance about once or twice a year.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:07 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good engine. I have one and a couple of Saitos and the only difference I can tell is the Saitos are a few ounces lighter. Get yourself a half gallon of fuel and add 6 more ounces of castor. Run this through the Mag .91 slobbering rich to seat the ring well. I initially run mine so rich I have to leave the battery connected to keep it running. I basically use the Saito break-in procedures. Don't exceed 4-5000 rpm for the first couple of tanks. After the half gallon, set the valves and fly.

I find most people don't give the ring enough rich running time to wear to a good close fit to the cylinder. If you do, the compression will come up like you wouldn't believe. Then you are ready for some regular 10-15% and some serious flying.

If you ever need it, Global Servoce is excellent.