Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Update on FOX 29

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 07:36 PM
BoneHead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on FOX 29

Hey All,

I finally got my Fox 29 from my parents place and took it apart to clean and make sure everything was working ok. Well it looks like this engine is toast! The top of the piston has a small barrier...not sure how to explain it. The top is flat with a small wall on top of it. Looks like it may be to keep the exhaust from going back down the intake side of the cylinder. The sleeve is in good condition, the carb is in fair condition but everything moves - -no friction - the exhaust baffle moves freely as well. If I can ever get a hold of a digital camera I will post some pics of it. I guess the only thing I would need to get this thing running is a new piston (and sleeve?) and a long plug....the one in it is a short plug and it just doesn't quite reach the end of the head!!

If anyone possibly has parts for this old engine please PM me!

Thanks all
Old 05-25-2004, 08:03 PM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Update on FOX 29

The thing on top of the piston is called a baffle. If you look at the inlet port in the liner you'll see it's just a machined hole with no angles on it like you see in modern engines. This means the fresh mixture tries to just blow through it and straight out the exhaust so the baffle is there to deflect the mixture upwards. If you can remember what it's used for then you won't fit the piston backwards as happens sometimes. There's a matching slot in the cylinder head so it can only fit one way too. If the glow plug is offset over this baffle slot then you have to be very careful that the plug isn't so long that it can protrude into the slot and foul the baffle. This particularly holds if you use an idle bar plug.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:31 PM
BoneHead

Thanks for the Info Downunder.

What side should the baffle be on? The intake side or the exhaust side. It is currently on the intake side. And there is a mstching slot in the cylinder head. From the info my father told me....he bought it at a show (probably mid to early 70's) and I don't think he had ever run it. So chances are that it may have been like this since he bought it. Hope it can be salvaged!
Old 05-26-2004, 05:55 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BoneHead,

Why do you think the engine is toast? It is normal for castor oil to cause a varnish buildup on top of the piston. This is easily removed. I would reassemble it and try it before replacing parts.

One item to remember is to use fuel with castor-only lube if the engine has a lot of time on it. On an iron/steel setup, as the piston wears, castor varnish replaces some of the tolerances and adds compression. If you use synthetic, it will clean out this varnish and you MAY have a compression problem. Not to worry, switching to all-castor will restore it through running. The castor content on that engine should be 25% to 28% for best service.

Good luck with it.

George
Old 05-26-2004, 06:22 AM
BoneHead

Hey GCB,

I just read my original post and forgot to add the one important piece of information. There is about 1/3 - 1/2 a piece missing off of the baffle on the cylinder. Guess that makes a big difference! LOL. So that's why I think it's toast! Without the full baffle I don't think it will run or run right. Guess I should be at least half awake before I post next time!
Old 05-26-2004, 10:21 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fox has one of the best repair/replacement policies in the business. Befor junking it, return it to Fox for an estimate or advice.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:17 AM
Doug D.

You don't need a baffle to run it. Any strap on muffler from Jtec or Davis Diesel would work fine. You may have to call them to get one to fit.
[&:]
Old 05-26-2004, 12:24 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Doug:

If you are saying a piston baffle is not needed to run this engine you are in error. It is "Loop scavenged," without the baffle on the piston it will run poorly, if at all.

Bonehead's engine, with a chunk of the baffle missing will probably run, but it would run better if it were complete.

Now if you are referring to a muffler baffle, you are right. It will also run with no muffler at all.

Bill.
Old 05-26-2004, 01:22 PM
BoneHead

Hey Bill,

You are right, it's the baffle on the piston. It also has an exhaust baffle, but is in great shape. Just the piston is damaged.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:54 PM
ZB50

Call FOX!

Good folks and they want to help.

ZB
Old 05-26-2004, 03:32 PM
BoneHead

BIG PROBLEM!!!

I HAVE NO PHONE! That and the # is in the US and I live in Canada. I have already email them and they said to give them a call, and that the person resposible for the info that I need does not have an email address. Here is the response I got:

"You will need to give Sharon a call at 1-479-646-1656. She can help you with the older motors.

Thanks Tonaya"

I replied back saying that I have no Phone and they replied back again:

"I'm sorry she does not have an e-mail. The phone is the only way to get a hold of her.

Thanks Tonaya"

So, that's my story. I'm very surprised that with todays technology they would not be using email as well. Customer service has email......why can't Sharron?

Thanks for all your help!!
Old 05-26-2004, 04:02 PM
ZB50

Well Bone,

I guess you do have a problem. No phone?

My wife is a Canadian and altho it is not free to call, It is not very expensive ethier. We regularly call her parents and they call us. Perhaps one of those pre paid phone cards will be the answer. IMO under your current situation and if you want to revive your engine. I suggest you find a way to phone them. I have delt with the two ladies in the email and they will I'm sure, do their best to help.

I sometimes wish I had no phone! or Pager, or Cell phone.

Wishing you success.

ZB
Old 05-27-2004, 07:47 AM
Sport_Pilot

They don't have pay phones in Canada?
Old 05-27-2004, 10:59 AM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, just fire that sucker up and see how it runs--put an end to all this speculation.

Jim
Old 05-27-2004, 11:39 AM
Doug D.

Mail it to them. Tell them to advise you of any cost via email. They have done it that way with me. [&:]
Old 05-27-2004, 11:43 AM
Ed Smith

They don't have pay phones in Canada
?

"Pay phones"??....What do you mean exactly?

Ed s
Old 05-27-2004, 07:21 PM
ZB50

I think Sport is refering to the phones you drop your coins into or swipe your credit card/phone card.

ZB