Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Everything Radial Engines

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 08:06 AM
chasrb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Everything Radial Engines

The reviews say they are not German, but India made. At 1199.00 I owuld think so. I paid over 3k for mine straight from Germany. Radials have only gone up in price so this lends itself to believe the reviewer.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:09 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's not a secret Chas. It has been common knowledge for a while now that Seidel has made arrangements to have his engines manufactured by UMS Tech in India.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:30 AM
dragonbuilder
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Godflesh

ORIGINAL: 62dave37

Has anyone heard anything more on the OS FR-7?

Not much, only that it costs an arm and leg! 3k+? Insane. Thats the price of a Moki 150[>:]
Quality costs money.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:06 AM
chasrb

ORIGINAL: Kmot

That's not a secret Chas. It has been common knowledge for a while now that Seidel has made arrangements to have his engines manufactured by UMS Tech in India.
Glad I got mine when I did!
Old 06-03-2010, 03:31 PM
Cybertom

I'd like to give UMS the benefit of the doubt. Mr. Seidel says that the material, tolerances, and heat treating are the same as what was made in Germany. I also remember some posts from others who had sticking valves and other such issues with the Seidels made in Germany. I'm sure Hobby King is going to sell a lot of them at that low price and over time we will know just how good they really are.

Until proven otherwise, inexpensive Seidels are something we should all be excited about!
Old 06-03-2010, 03:42 PM
Dad_Roman

ORIGINAL: Cybertom

I'd like to give UMS the benefit of the doubt.

inexpensive Seidels are something we should all be excited about!
I know I do...

...and I know I am
Old 06-03-2010, 07:32 PM
77chickenhawk

Ditto on thet.

.UMS has more than cool engines.. they have some sweet hydrologic setups for landing gear and breaks too. the Euro ppl have nothing but good to say from them.. dont see why these engines would be any different they are mostly CNC machined parts. does it matter who works the tool? im sure enough about the quality to want one
Old 06-03-2010, 07:43 PM
chasrb

It's a matter of perspective, whether you bought one that was almost three times as much as the one being sold now. That is the way of commerce however and something none of us can escape. If its build is outsourced then state that, do not cover it up to make folks think it is the true orginal.

An example, my GL450 is a German car, but they clearly state it was built in the USA, in Alabama. Nothing hidden.

If these off-shored engines are as good or better, then I'd be putting two of them in my F7F instead of Saitos.

Cheers

Old 06-04-2010, 02:07 AM
Godflesh

ORIGINAL: Godflesh

Has anyone heard anything more on the OS FR-7?

Not much, only that it costs an arm and leg! 3k+? Insane. Thats the price of a Moki 150[>:]
Quality costs money.
Heard shuld be out in Sep/Aug. Quality or otherwise, seem to me pretty steep for glow. Seidel already has 70/90 cc class for 1k+. Would like to see how many oS sells.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:20 AM
wheels

Heard shuld be out in Sep/Aug. Quality or otherwise, seem to me pretty steep for glow. Seidel already has 70/90 cc class for 1k+. Would like to see how many oS sells.

Maybe more than you think....... this hobby is funny. There are OS fanatics, DA fanatics, Futaba fanatics......... and on.......... and on. The debates never end and no one company ever competely dominates the market. Perhaps OS plans to fill the nitch in the market reserved for those who want to pay through the nose so that they can feel like they have a superior product.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:30 AM
wheels

I didn't get an answer to my last question so I'm not holding my breath here but............................. on another topic...

Has anyone tried a smoke system on a saito with an exhaust ring? Does it work ok or just blow a bunch of half burnt oil into your fuel tank through the pressure tap?
Old 06-05-2010, 01:09 AM
kochj

ORIGINAL: wheels

Hey guys,

Question for those of you with saito 450s and Keleo exhaust rings, do you all put a check valve and a ''t'' on the pressure line for venting while fueling? Or just let overflow fuel run into the ring and out the bottom? Any issues flooding the bottom cylinders that way?
I would hook it up the way the manual shows you...
Do it the same way you would on a single 4-stroke...
When I ran my saito 325 I just folllowed the manual (nice think about Saitos) and it ran great....
Old 06-05-2010, 01:12 AM
kochj

ORIGINAL: chasrb

The reviews say they are not German, but India made. At 1199.00 I owuld think so. I paid over 3k for mine straight from Germany. Radials have only gone up in price so this lends itself to believe the reviewer.
I found it funny to hear that the quality was what comes out the other end of a cows butt.

Seriously, though...I had purchased one....but I couldn't see leaving my full payment to them for 3-months just to
save 100$ on shipping??? It runs fine in the online vids, but only time will tell how they hold up....

I though that saydel, said that no way in Heff, that hobby tronics would sell UMS engines?
Old 06-05-2010, 01:37 AM
kochj

What if all the workers were PO'ed when they made these engines with all the conflict surronding
the deal with HObbytronic, and they goofed them up...?
Old 06-05-2010, 01:40 AM
wheels

ORIGINAL: kochj

I would hook it up the way the manual shows you...
Do it the same way you would on a single 4-stroke...
When I ran my saito 325 I just folllowed the manual (nice think about Saitos) and it ran great....
Thanks for the response kochj, I appretiate it. Maybe I missed some instructions on the keleo packaging? The literature I have from saito doesn't say anything about an exhaust ring?

At any rate, I contacted Kelvin and he assures me that there will be no problem.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:46 PM
radial1951

Wheels,
No offence intended, but from my engineering perspective, the only area in which Indian / Chinese engines are the equal of Japanese, Euro or maybe US engines is in the General Arrangement Drawing! As far as manufacturing processes, precision and metallurgy are concerned, there is simply no comparison.

I own ASP, Evolution, FPE and Saito engines. I could bore you with a couple of pages of technical comparisons, but you can hear the air hissing past the exhaust valve and feel the slack fit of a crankshaft bearing in my new ASP. After only 9 months flying nearly every Sunday, you can now hear the big end rattle of the Evo 46 as it flies past on part throttle. Etc, etc...

If you want to manufacture a precision item in quantities you don't throw more people at it. You throw money, in the form of top-end machine tools, production gauges and measuring equipment. Not just just little gold "QC" stickers...

As you say, there are OS, DA, Futaba fanatics, but no mention of ASP, Turnigy, or UMS fanatics. I don't think OS and Saito have survived this long just on snob appeal as there have always been cheaper engines in the market. This situation is not unique to small IC engines, and whether it's cars, computers or tools, you usually get what you pay for. Trouble is, 2x quality = 3x price !!

Regards, radial1951.

Maybe more than you think....... this hobby is funny. There are OS fanatics, DA fanatics, Futaba fanatics......... and on.......... and on. The debates never end and no one company ever competely dominates the market. Perhaps OS plans to fill the nitch in the market reserved for those who want to pay through the nose so that they can feel like they have a superior product.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:06 AM
wheels

ORIGINAL: radial1951

Wheels,
No offence intended, but from my engineering perspective, the only area in which Indian / Chinese engines are the equal of Japanese, Euro or maybe US engines is in the General Arrangement Drawing! As far as manufacturing processes, precision and metallurgy are concerned, there is simply no comparison.

I own ASP, Evolution, FPE and Saito engines. I could bore you with a couple of pages of technical comparisons, but you can hear the air hissing past the exhaust valve and feel the slack fit of a crankshaft bearing in my new ASP. After only 9 months flying nearly every Sunday, you can now hear the big end rattle of the Evo 46 as it flies past on part throttle. Etc, etc...

If you want to manufacture a precision item in quantities you don't throw more people at it. You throw money, in the form of top-end machine tools, production gauges and measuring equipment. Not just just little gold ''QC'' stickers...

As you say, there are OS, DA, Futaba fanatics, but no mention of ASP, Turnigy, or UMS fanatics. I don't think OS and Saito have survived this long just on snob appeal as there have always been cheaper engines in the market. This situation is not unique to small IC engines, and whether it's cars, computers or tools, you usually get what you pay for. Trouble is, 2x quality = 3x price !!

Regards, radial1951.
First, sweeping statements about the quality of materials and manufacturing from any part of the world are at best temporarily accurate and at worst propaganda. As proof take the fact that you hold up Japanese manufacturing as one of the measuring sticks.

Second, I`m sorry to hear that you`ve had bad experiences with some of your engines. Unfortunatley, as you know, the fact that you have in hand bad examples of a certain brand of engine means little to nothing about the quality of those engines in general. No matter what manufacturer you care to name, there ARE duds that come out of their factories. It just so happens I'm an engineer too. I own Evolution GMS and FPE engines, all of wich have been very reliable and performed extremely well for me, but that doesn't mean everyone will have the same results or even that most will, it just means I did.

Lastly, nope no Hobby King fanatics, they are a distributor not a manufacturer so there's nothing to be fanatical about. However given some time there will, without a doubt, be people who are ridiculously loyal to some of their product lines. I'm sure you can remember when HITEC was an unproven and suspect company, but do they have a group of customers who now don't even bother to look at other brands before purchasing radio equipment? You bet, I'm one of them.

I wasn't kidding about being an engineer, if you have some real, objective test data about some of these Chinese/Indian hobby products, lay it on me. It won't bore me a bit.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:56 AM
Wulf
My Feedback: (5)

The motor box must be mounted quite far back.

The only way I could come up with for mounting a choke servo was to put it on the side of the motor box then remove some of the fiberglass on the fuse front to let the box slide into place, not the sexiest solution but with the cowl on only I will know.

I think that it's going to come out a little nose heavy even moving the batteries as far back as possible but I cannot imagine this model flying heavy just because of a few added oz on the tail, that's a huge wing underneath it.

Should be LOTS of power and the motor is a sweet runner as long as it's got glow on at low RPM. (some say that the glow becomes unneccesary after break in, my motor is still fresh)

Seems like a great combination so far to me.
Hey Wheels, did you use the motor box as provided? I find that mine is way over board on down thrust and side thrust angles-I`m going to make to an angled plate to negate the d-thrust and s-thrust-It was pointed out to me by someone that this type of hi angled mount would be mainly used for electric power.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:41 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The engineering and metallurgy bickering should be done via Private Messaging.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:10 PM
wheels

I used it as is, although it seemed like a lot to me too. We'll see how it flies, then add spacers if I have to.

More side and negative thrust for electrics? That's a new one to me, but I still only own two electrics so I have lots to learn.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:24 PM
Wulf
My Feedback: (5)

I just heard this recently(more s-d thrust for electrics-) I have no electrics so what do I know LOL!I changed my engine box to square-that is no down-or side thrust then `ill add shims if needed-Seems way outta line the way it came.I epoxied a 1/4" ply plate to front then milled off square-I like it better and engine is much easier to line up with center of cowl-I`ll let you know how mine flies also-Probably have to kick on some right rudder on takeoff- :-)
Old 06-08-2010, 06:26 PM
Godflesh

ORIGINAL: blw

The engineering and metallurgy bickering should be done via Private Messaging.
Don't see why it should. If ppl have fair points and good info it should be discussed on the forum. I wouldn't simply dismiss such discussions as bickering.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:53 PM
purepetrol

Was on HK and they had seidel 70 listed as 5 in stock ordered and day later received an email that it is being shipped! Fingers crossed!!!
Now to find a good warbird to put it into, any sugestions?
Old 06-08-2010, 08:06 PM
kivisto

Hello everyone, curious to know what glow plugs are being used on saito radials???
Old 06-08-2010, 09:56 PM
77chickenhawk

yuppp!!!

the CMP 50cc zero. I already know it will fit.. because im wanting one in mine

[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95910.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	1450385   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67993.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	399.3 KB
ID:	1450386  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.