Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Clanrence Lee K&B61/pumped

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 11:44 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Clanrence Lee K&B61/pumped

To illustrate the difference, here's a shot looking straight into the two different carbs. These engines are 40 size, but the 61 difference was similar. Yes, the pump version ios on the left.

Bill.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36443.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	421303  
Old 08-12-2016, 12:42 PM
Dash7ATP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My two K & B .61 pumpers.

I sure hope I can find an expert here on setting up my engines. To begin with, I have had these two engines for maybe twenty years. They had been stored and I want to use one in a new plane I have. I had one on a Killer Kaos and it was a perfect match. I could fill it up, flip the prop, and go fly. I almost never touched the needle.

When I tried to start one up on a test stand, I could not adjust it. Thinking the pump diaphragm was bad, I called Gary Conley who repairs the Perry pumps. I paid $50.00 plus shipping to have both pumps "fixed". Now, I'm getting so much pressure at the carb, it's almost impossible to adjust. The pressure regulator screw on the pump is almost all the way out (lower pressure) and the Needle valve is 1/4 turn from being all the way in. At this point, they are still not where I want them. These engines were a snap to adjust when I first used them, but now, nothing I have done seems to work.
I even called Clarence Lee. He suggested I put a "T" IN the line between the pump and the carb to route extra fuel back into the tank. I gave up on that. High end was super, but low end died as soon as the throttle was reduced. I am considering covering one of the four small holes in the crankcase side of the pump with JB Weld to try to reduce the pump output. Any thoughts on this?

TIA,

Joe
Old 09-02-2016, 04:34 PM
Dash7ATP

I'm not getting much help here. Doesn't anyone have any ideas on how I can reduce the output on these pumps and still have a little control of the pump pressure
Old 09-05-2016, 07:11 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would try and add a restrictor between the pump and the carb like a piece brass tube say 1/2A fuel line size to see if it is controllable. That it is pumping so much almost sounds impossible unless there was some flow restrictor that was left out.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:14 PM
TFF

Although not what you want to necessarily buy, If you have an external Perry pump you could troubleshoot with and leave out the cover pump to see it it will adjust.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:50 AM
Dash7ATP

[QUOTE=TFF;12254708]I would try and add a restrictor between the pump and the carb like a piece brass tube say 1/2A fuel line size to see if it is controllable. That it is pumping so much almost sounds impossible unless there was some flow restrictor that was left out.[/QUOT

Thanks for your suggestion. I did try something similar to that. I ran t fuel line thru a wheel collar and used the set screw to close off the fuel. I was able to restrict the flow at high speed, but then I could not adjust the idle. I may try that again. I'm still considering blocking a hole in the crankcase side of the pump Do you know how to remove the pump from the .backlate?
Old 09-10-2016, 09:14 AM
TFF

I dont know how to take it apart; I would circumvent it if trying an external. For years two new pumps sat at my local hobby shop. I never bought them for age and price; I should have taken the chance. You probably found this http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clas...ulators-3.html Have not been through it; you might mine something out of it.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:48 PM
706jim

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, this is an engine from 1976! I elected to get the OS 60 FSR with the pump and Perry carb instead of the Lee 61. It worked great and was very strong. I ran it in a Dumas CF40 Deep V hull. It performed better than the K&B 6.5 marine I also used with great throttle response and the torque to drive all sorts of props.

As to the Lee engine, I'm sure its power was in the same league as the FSR.