Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS 180 AX 2 cycle ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 06:55 PM
jaybenson5
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 180 AX 2 cycle ?

Are the rumors true? when will we see this engine?
Old 07-24-2007, 07:17 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: OS 180 AX 2 cycle ?

Oh goody, I can imagine the cost on this
Old 07-24-2007, 07:17 PM
F.Imbriaco
My Feedback: (56)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please tell us where you read about this "rumor".
Old 07-24-2007, 07:23 PM
jaybenson5
My Feedback: (4)

Heard a guy in my club talkin about it this weekend. Then when I sterted lookin for it and called him he said he thought he saw something about it at Toledo or RAMS show so I don't know if it's real or not.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:26 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There's no mention of it on the OS of Japan web site

http://www.os-engines.co.jp/english/index.htm
Old 07-25-2007, 10:30 AM
F.Imbriaco

Alas, then it isn't available if the OS Japan site doesn't list it , but who is to know what's in the pipeline ? At this point , it's purely conjecture and anyone's guess is as good as the next. Conventional wisdom tells us an increase in displacement , new head design, and AX designation ( ala the .55AX and 1.20 AX ) is a good bet, though.

Nope OS , you see, is too busy designing /producing $2,000.00 OS200 EFI engines for a half dozen world level pattern flyers who potentially get one free or heavily discounted. The pattern fraternity, albeit a small SIG, would love OS to incorporate an integral (backplate) pump for the OS 160FX , but they aren't listening -even though we've been shouting at them to do so for years. IMAC and sport flyers would love this one ,too, and an educated guess would put a street price on it somewhere around $499.00.

OS, IMO, is carried away with image and often forgets the little guy who wants a large displacement engine that'll run without a Perry or Cline pump to prevent flameouts during heavy aerobatics. . Think I'm all wet ? Then ask yourself why the Surpass 91 EFI , the 140 RX EFI , and 160FX EFI were all sales flops and are now discontinued.

Just my .02.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:23 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Well it could be possible. They gave us the 120ax which replaced the infamous and reliable and popular 1.08. Why not another boner we don't need to take over the 1.60.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:11 PM
lucien

ORIGINAL: F.Imbriaco

Alas, then it isn't available if the OS Japan site doesn't list it , but who is to know what's in the pipeline ? At this point , it's purely conjecture and anyone's guess is as good as the next. Conventional wisdom tells us an increase in displacement , new head design, and AX designation ( ala the .55AX and 1.20 AX ) is a good bet, though.

Nope OS , you see, is too busy designing /producing $2,000.00 OS200 EFI engines for a half dozen world level pattern flyers who potentially get one free or heavily discounted. The pattern fraternity, albeit a small SIG, would love OS to incorporate an integral (backplate) pump for the OS 160FX , but they aren't listening -even though we've been shouting at them to do so for years. IMAC and sport flyers would love this one ,too, and an educated guess would put a street price on it somewhere around $499.00.

OS, IMO, is carried away with image and often forgets the little guy who wants a large displacement engine that'll run without a Perry or Cline pump to prevent flameouts during heavy aerobatics. . Think I'm all wet ? Then ask yourself why the Surpass 91 EFI , the 140 RX EFI , and 160FX EFI were all sales flops and are now discontinued.

Just my .02.
Well they already sell a motor like that, the 1.40RX....
I had one of these back when they first came out and, of all the OS's I've ever owned, it was the easiest handling, starting and running motor of theirs I'd ever used. Smooth as silk too, I was amazed.

The pump/carb they have on it works perfectly, or at least it should now (it had a rich midrange problem when it first came out, apparently fixed with an updated spraybar). But it never sagged or went lean or anything, always ran great. No extra pumps or other stuff needed, just crank it up and go fly...

It's also 3 oz. lighter than the 160FX, so it has a slight weight advantage at least with just the engine. And it makes about the same power with the pipe and probably still with just a regular muffler.

The onlyl drooper is the rear exhaust, which is an installation pain in the neck on a lot of regular sport planes. I made mine fit, though, on the plane I had it on (don't remember what it was, it was like a Stik) with a modified firewall and some grinding with the Dremel tool...

Mine got some bad fuel that rusted out the bearings and it chewed itself up pretty early. So I had to retire it.

It's a little pricey too, tho for what you get it's still a fairly decent deal...

LS
Old 07-25-2007, 08:20 PM
F.Imbriaco

The OS 140RX is a fine engine- I have one in my latest 2 meter pattern ship. It produces very respectable power, but definitely needs a displacement/ horsepower boost to fly the newer , "wide bodied " pattern aircraft and 25% IMAC models. After all , it's been around in the same basic configuration for 10 years now and it's overdue for a makeover. Properly tuned and pumped , the "less radical" OS 160FX produces more umph for those longer vertical climbs and other manuvers associated with the higher level pattern classes. Not to mention that YS continues to upgrade nearly every other year and their latest iteration , the 170 , is Godzilla-like in power. It will be rather expensive when released in the Fall, but still only HALF the price of the OS 200 EFI !
Old 07-25-2007, 09:54 PM
BankYank
My Feedback: (63)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Os 1.80 AX. I would buy one with a smile. I like OS engine's and a 1.80 would be great!
Pat
Old 07-27-2007, 11:42 PM
kochj

perhaps it was confused with the 2.o 4-stroke release>?
justin
Old 07-28-2007, 10:26 AM
RaceCity

Why not?

The 1.20AX is an awesome engine, and a 1.80 that had the same "character" as the 1.20 would be a fine engine indeed!

I'd buy one, and I don't even have a plane big enough to put it in!
Old 07-28-2007, 11:57 AM
lucien

ORIGINAL: F.Imbriaco

The OS 140RX is a fine engine- I have one in my latest 2 meter pattern ship. It produces very respectable power, but definitely needs a displacement/ horsepower boost to fly the newer , "wide bodied " pattern aircraft and 25% IMAC models. After all , it's been around in the same basic configuration for 10 years now and it's overdue for a makeover. Properly tuned and pumped , the "less radical" OS 160FX produces more umph for those longer vertical climbs and other manuvers associated with the higher level pattern classes. Not to mention that YS continues to upgrade nearly every other year and their latest iteration , the 170 , is Godzilla-like in power. It will be rather expensive when released in the Fall, but still only HALF the price of the OS 200 EFI !
Well.. all true.....

I still have my OS pipe from my 1.40, I've often wondered how it'd perform on a 1.60FX, assuming I could find a header pipe that'd fit the motor (Macs makes one or something?).....

LS