Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Lincoln 61 ??????

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 10:25 PM
Tcat1000
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lincoln 61 ??????

Ok.............I have the question of the day! At the Toledo show, I got weak kneed, stupid & downright probably out of my mind & bought for $50.00 a NIB "Lincoln 61" two stroke. It wasn't much loot so I am not out much if it blows up the first time I fire it up! Can anybody tell me who makes it & if it runs at all? They had several of them there, so somebody should have an opinion by now. Don't be afraid to hurt my feelings either! As I said, it was CHEEEEEEP! Most of my engines are either OS or Saito, but it looked kinda neat as it is all black, so I sprung for one. By the way.......The supplied muffler don't line up as far as the inside exhaust slot, but the OS 61 FX muffler fits it like a glove. Anyone?

Tcat1000
Barry
[email protected]
Old 07-27-2007, 10:36 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Lincoln 61 ??????

Think of it as an SK engine?
Old 07-27-2007, 10:53 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't that the one that's the same as the Megatech...or made in the same factory? It has a red head, and it's made in Taiwan, correct? (I don't recall right off hand )

There was a guy on epay selling them for quite a while...sold a bunch of 'em.

I looked at one some time ago at our LHS and it reminded me (style wise ) of the r/c car engines that come out of the Kingstar factory...and I believe they are Megatech, HPi, Hyper and Axial. (might be a few others?)
Old 07-27-2007, 11:04 PM
w8ye

The Lincolns were commissioned by someone in the Carolina's but the lot were eventually sold to Uncle Bob in Nebraska. I don't think there were but 50 of them? Bob was at Toledo. I saw him there and reviewed his wares.

The 46 Megatech's were made by LEO? I don't know about the 61's?

The Lincolns look more like a Blue J Arrow or an SK? Another possibility is CS or China Shang or maybe Kange? I had the opinion that they were made in Shanghai ?

To my knowledge the only manufacturer actually in Taiwan is Thunder Tiger? Though LEO is family tied to Thunder Tiger, they are made in the Hong Kong area?
Old 07-27-2007, 11:12 PM
proptop

I think the guy on e*ay was named Bob? I don't know if he's still there though, because he said "this is my last one" (Lincoln .61 ) and that was a few months ago.

Jim...you're probably right...I was just speculating from something I had heard or read...but I did look at one in our LHS and it looked like an o.k. engine. (nothing special, but not a real POS either )
Old 07-27-2007, 11:16 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Don't feel bad, I bought one too. I figure it is a good conversation piece, if nothing else. I doubt that it will be worth less in the future than the $50 we paid for them, if they are kept clean. Some collector will want them. I did.

Others have indicated that they might be Leo manufactured. Truthfully, I don't know, but the engine feels acceptable when turned over and it certainly isn't the worst finished engine I have ever seen. It is a bit heavy, but the weight wouldn't be noticed on the nose of an Ugly Stik type of model, or the Hobbico 60 high winged model.

I haven't ran mine yet and I probably won't run it. I have a ton of .61 sized engines to work my way through, so I'll leave this one pretty much as it is - pristine.

Ed Cregger
Old 07-28-2007, 01:39 AM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob said they were made by Megatech. And he had one heck of a lot more then 50 made i would bet over a thousand. I kicked around the idea of buying his lot at one time for 12000 dollars. Until i did the math and just could'nt sit on that many engines for as long as needed to sell them.

Anyways in the grand scheme of things they are supposed to be pretty strong running engines. The red paint chips off the cylinder head real quick. And sometimes the carb is a pain. But they supposedly put out good power a little on the heavy side perhaps.

Dennis
Old 07-28-2007, 02:12 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Uncle Bob has a website that he sells vintage engines and parts from:

http://www.bobsengines.com

You can also contact him by e-mail at [email protected]

Bob is a fellow [link=http://www.omahawks.org]Omahawks[/link] member and the local folklore is that these are indeed Megatech engines that are good solid runners so long as you can get the carburator tuned properly.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:57 AM
sowega flyer

I have one thats been flying my .60 size Seagull Extra 300. Its basically a Megatech M-61 as far as I can tell. It is a great running engine, and has been since the day I initially fired it up. The carb is a breeze to adjust and provides a great range, from slow idle to WOT. I was a bit skeptical myself, but after flying this engine, I would say that anyone who has bought one should be very satisfied with it given the price. I can't comment on longevity however, I have run only about a gallon of fuel through it- not because I don't like the engine, its the plane I don't care for.

I highly recommend it for a sport flyer looking for cheap power.

Jason
Old 07-28-2007, 02:12 PM
proptop

How 'bout that...I didn't think my memory was that bad... (Thought they had something to do with Megatech!)
Old 07-28-2007, 02:13 PM
w8ye

I was looking at the Just Engines site a few minutes ago and noticed how much the Jen'n engines looked like the Lincoln

Old 07-29-2007, 08:14 PM
fiery

I think the J'en engine's are associated with TigerShark / TSI / SK engine manufacturing ... LEO are a separate concern.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:12 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: proptop

How 'bout that...I didn't think my memory was that bad... (Thought they had something to do with Megatech!)

---------------

Yes, but isn't Megatech just another brand name like Kangke or Magnum?

Who is the real manufacturer?

Ed Cregger
Old 07-29-2007, 10:20 PM
fiery

Megatech are re-branded Leo's ...

The Lincoln mystery should be solveable. Can someone post a photo or link to a photo of these engines?

If we can see it, we should be able to identify it!
Old 07-29-2007, 10:33 PM
brazil1

2 guys in our club have them and they actually run great. Resist the urge to under prop for RPM's because they don't seem to like it (i.e., flameouts). One member bought them because they were cheap, and later, sold one to another member.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:54 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Gents, here is a link to a break in and test I did on a Lincoln .61 for fuelman.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_40...tm.htm#4042940
Old 08-04-2007, 12:58 AM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

I bought several of these engines without any problems. Resold them on RCU a few times in fact. He states in his Ebay listing he's ordered these from Megatech, and he is the only supplier of that special order. They run good. No complaints. Great OS alternative for any 60 trainer that might take a dive.

Moderator removed a link in this post to a competitive site. It only related to what Bob Boumstein had for sale. Here's Bob's address . . . .

Model Airplane Engines- Antique to current, to use, to get out of production parts off of, or general purpose. 1200 Engines on My list - Buy- sell-Trade! send 37 cent stamp to get free list or
E-mail : [email protected]
Fax 24hours : 402-334-4173
Phone: No calls before 9AM CST or after 9PM CST
http://members.cox.net/bobsengines/

Bob Boumstein
10970 Marcy Plaza
Omaha, NE 68154
>> 402 334 0122 <<