Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Fuel tubing of choice

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 09:10 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel tubing of choice

Hi all. I'm getting ready to buy a new spool of fuel tubing. With the disappearance of Prather, I guess my second choice is Aerotrend Blue Line.

What is your first choice from the currently available brands? I was thinking about buying some 3/32" ID surgical tubing from Campbell's Custom Kits, but it's so soft and flexible that it can get kinked very easily (it's really intended for bladders).

Thanks,
David
Old 08-03-2007, 10:09 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Fuel tubing of choice

David, not recomendation, but I'll share what happened monday. I was trying some Cool Power fuel in my Magnum 91 four stroke. The second day using this fuel and engine was low on power and not idleing well. I decided to go back to the Omega that I had been using. When I unscrewed the top from the gallon, the pickup tube broke off and dropped into the jug. I was fishing it out and and when I got an end up to grab onto, it snapped off again. I finally got the tube out, and it was distroyed all the way down to the fuel level in the Cool Power jug. Below fuel level, it still was as new. I don't know what line I was using, clear blue color and a bit stiff. I sure hope I don't have any of it in my fuel tanks. because of it's stifness, I'm kind of sure I didn't use it internal to the tank. Quite a shock. By the way, going back to the omega, and a couple clicks on the needle along with a fresh plug and life was good again.

One of the guys at the field used to be tech support for Norvel and he had not seen that kind of failure. I had been using that tubing in the tank for close to a year now and have pumped four or five gallons through it. It sure was a susprise.

Don
Old 08-03-2007, 10:26 PM
Clark L

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first choice... Aerotrend.

[8D]
Old 08-03-2007, 11:31 PM
Turk1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you mean what I understand as surgical tube, dont use it.Glow fuel makes it very stiff in time and no flexibility.Then risk.I used a lot of them but all got stiff.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:12 AM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I'll go with the Aerotrend. There's still one semi-LHS that I need to check for leftover Prather, though.

Turk1, I'm pretty sure we're thinking about two different things. I use surgical tubing almost exclusively for my 1/2A stuff. I've never seen it get hard, but it will get dark and gummy (soft) where it's stretched around fittings. Maybe you're thinking of IV tubing?

Thanks,
David