Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

ASP/MAGNUM FS400AR Rebuild/Overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 11:21 AM
Eulboyington

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ASP/MAGNUM FS400AR Rebuild/Overhaul

The new RCEXL ignition for 3 cylinders radial ( 13XX series) dedicated to SAITO's are now and the market, ans LiPo 2S compatible.
However, it will take a time before to get ignitions for 5 cylinders Radial as ASP F400, but RCEXL Team is hard working on this way !

Old 03-17-2013, 12:23 PM
tim750r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Carosel43

No you are wrong, because the pistons move up and down opposite to eachother (in effect) there is no pressure in the crankcase. Also the idea of blowby is not exactly correct, yes there is oil forced past the ringson the power strokebut its not like a jet of pressure as the term 'blow by' implies.And anyway, those instructions i put up are from the current OS300 which for sure only has the one nipple, the new OS 420 also has only 1 nipple and it clearly states that it must be blocked off while running. The 320 flat 4 is different for sure as it has the 2 nipples, the radials however should be plugged

Also in the past i have (in error) forgotten to remove the drain plug i fit to my Laser 300v (to prevent it making a mess when i hang the model up) and have flown a whole day of flying with the engine without any drama. In the 300v the movement of the pistons puts the crankcase under pressure so blocking the drain plug would cause a pressure buildup in the case. But as i said the engine didnt complain at all and there were no leaks or anything.
I cannot see in the OS420 manual where it says that. In fact it seems to imply the opposite in the section on lubrication. Then it goes on to mention injecting corrosion inhibiting oil after which it shows a picture of the engine with the drain plug in - presumably to keep that oil in :-)

Consider a four cylinder car petrol engine where the pistons go up & down in pairs - in your reckoning, like the radial there would be no crankcase pressure, yet if you block off the crankcase breather, you run the risk of blowing the crankshaft seal and ruining your clutch.

And lastly, quoting from the current ASP400 manual in the lubrication section:

During the running of the engine, as well as while the engine is sitting properly mounted with the drain nipple pointed down, the excess oil will leave through the drain nipple. To protect your airplane, connect silicontubing to the drain nipple and have itrelease the oil outside of your aircraft.

I don't mean to bang on about this, but keeping the engine operating reliably seem to be hard enough for most of us so its important we all try to operate it the right way. :-)

Hope this helps.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:37 PM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Only one thing to do.... test it, and report what works best in the long run here on this forum
Old 03-17-2013, 12:47 PM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Eulboyington

The new RCEXL ignition for 3 cylinders radial ( 13XX series) dedicated to SAITO's are now and the market, ans LiPo 2S compatible.
However, it will take a time before to get ignitions for 5 cylinders Radial as ASP F400, but RCEXL Team is hard working on this way !

C&H has a far better sytem as far as set-up of the magnets/hall sensor. I've been doing CDI conversions on Saitos for over 15 years & putting the magnets in the prop drive washer is a poor design. Especially when one wants to run methanol fuels that require @ least 6° more ignition timing advance to get maximum performance. They are working on a "modular" module board that can be cut when fabricating to relect the number of cylinders.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:38 PM
Carosel43

Page 18 of the OS420 manual clearly shows the plug installed. While i accept your comments about car engines the displacements of air involved and the type of engine that they are is quite different.

As for the latest copy of the ASP instructions i do not have a set to look at, and even if i did it is quite likely that this has been written down incorrectly by the person who wrote the manual due to the slightly contradictory info written by OS. Logically i left mine open when my engine was running as i have on all my 4 strokes, but since i read the line on the instructions saying not to i have lef *** plugged as a test. so far i have had no problems and my model is cleaner than before.

And before we can all operate the engine the right way we need to work out what that is and from what i have seen leaving the plug in place seems to be right, especialy if low oil in the crankcase is a problem. Frankly though i think the engine would be find on 7% oil at any rate. I have done experiments with another engine and have run for over an hour on 2.5% oil without issues
Old 03-17-2013, 02:15 PM
SAMCPAKISTAN

Dear Kmot,
You have started the thread, for which we are looking a long time ago. Thanks for this.
Although Rebuild is time taking job, but very interesting too & some time, we have no idea about how much hours are passed.

******** is also like a disease & working with engines is more than that. we think it is a kind of & .
Old 03-17-2013, 06:42 PM
BJ64

ORIGINAL: SrTelemaster150

I'm thinking the extra $507 might be worth it. Hardly 4X as much.
Sorry - but Moki 150, Price per item € 2.369,00 = AU$2961.00 ~ 4 times as much.

Ok, so this one is 66cc and Moki is a 150 - couldn't find anything smaller to compare when I bought my ASP.

BJ

Old 03-17-2013, 09:51 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sam C., yes it is a love/hate relationship at times. Just like men and their women.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:52 AM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: BJ64

I'm thinking the extra $507 might be worth it. Hardly 4X as much.
Sorry - but Moki 150, Price per item € 2.369,00 = AU$2961.00 ~ 4 times as much.

Ok, so this one is 66cc and Moki is a 150 - couldn't find anything smaller to compare when I bought my ASP.

BJ

Did you actually read my entire post?

You referenced to both Saito and Moki.

Sure, it's no Saito or Moki - and doesn't come in at 4 times that asking price either...
BJ
I merely pointed out that the Saito, which is only slightly larger in diameter & will fit in many or the airframes/cowls that will house an ASP FS400AR, is only abot 60% more. From the looks of all these posts about problems W/the ASP though, it does seem like it's 4X the engine as far as quality.

I made no mention of Moki in the text I posted.

I was seriously considerinmg the ASP hoping that QC had inproved over the early versions.

After all of these posts about problems W/the current batch, I'll save up another $500 & buy an engine that I can depend on. It would be foolish to risk a $1500 airframe on an unreliable engine.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:01 AM
Kmot

Yes, we all know that Saito and OS engines are much higher quality than Sanye. What's new?

But this thread is basically about the Sanye (ASP, Magnum, SC, PH) FS400 radial engine and it's care and feeding.

It is a celebration of this engine and it's quirks, idiosyncrasies, faults, and as well its joys.

If you only wish to denigrate this engine, and by association its users, perhaps it's time to move on.........
Old 03-18-2013, 10:29 AM
Carosel43

My radial is bipolar i am sure. Its either brilliant or awful. lol

Old 03-18-2013, 12:42 PM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: Kmot

Yes, we all know that Saito and OS engines are much higher quality than Sanye. What's new?

But this thread is basically about the Sanye (ASP, Magnum, SC, PH) FS400 radial engine and it's care and feeding.

It is a celebration of this engine and it's quirks, idiosyncrasies, faults, and as well its joys.

If you only wish to denigrate this engine, and by association its users, perhaps it's time to move on.........
Merely correcting a falsehood. The Saito FA450R3 is not 4X as much. As a matter of fact, the FA450R3 price just dropped to $1099 so it's less than 30% more than the ASP.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:43 PM
retransit
My Feedback: (18)

So far mine works just fine. My wife gave it to me as a Christmas present in 2009.

If they all worked great with no problems, there would be no need for this thread.

Bob
Old 03-18-2013, 02:17 PM
Heli-NuBee

I was working with my 400 today trying to figure out how I will mount this motor on the CMP Zero. I have to say that the engine is a work of mechanical art. I just can't help but love it. Mine looks great and I checked the bolts, all were tight. Maybe I will get lucky and get a good one.

Best wishes and good safe flying.

Heli-NuBee (AKA Roger the radial rabbit)
Old 03-18-2013, 05:21 PM
BJ64

Did you actually read my entire post?...
No - I do not read your posts any more.

This is an ASP FS400AR thread - you do not own one, and have gone out of your way to tell us that you will never own one.

One wonders why you post in this thread at all.

From my observations so far, I see you bang on about other radials, CDI ignitions blah blah blah... and you seem to take enjoyment out of bagging the ASP 400.

Anywhere else, that sort of behaviour would be considered "trolling".

BJ
Old 03-18-2013, 06:31 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Let's just be honest and not dance around the facts. Everybody needs to change their outlooks a bit, and everyone needs to be more tolerant and friendly.

Yes, someone new did bring fresh opinions and some of them were about comparing engines. But, I'm making the judgement call that he was also trying to be helpful. Present members began to think this thread belonged to only a few, select members and they were't exactly the friendliest bunch.

This thread doesn't belong to anyone or any group. Every member should feel free ask or post. And, we should remain generally on topic.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:50 PM
BJ64

Yes - this thread does not "belong" to anyone. Nor does any other thread.

Having said that, there are specialized threads that try to deal with a specific topic/product.

I would think an "ASP/MAGNUM FS400AR Rebuild/Overhaul" thread would fit that category.

Constructive criticism is usually welcome anywhere - but I feel that blatant product-bashing could best be served elsewhere.

Perhaps a "Don't buy an ASP 400" thread would be more fitting for that - and the ensuing bun-fight and rhetoric spared from this thread.

We had the same problem over in the JetJoe Owners thread for years - hundreds of heated posts and bagging of the product. Until we had a Mod that said 'enough is enough', and cleaned-up all the pointedly deliberate negative posts that continually tried to derail the thread.

It would be nice to know that enthusiasts of the ASP 400 have a place to share their trial and tribulations, as well as their enjoyment of this particular product.

Please respect those that have a genuine interest in the engine.

BJ
Old 03-18-2013, 07:04 PM
blw

Let's all just get over it and not repeat past gripes from this point on.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:07 PM
BJ64

Sounds good to me

BJ
Old 03-18-2013, 07:12 PM
retransit
My Feedback: (18)

Thanks, that was needed.

Bob
Old 03-18-2013, 07:47 PM
blw

Ok, I'll admit that I'm being a hypocrite for the moment and getting off topic. I vaguely remember a gigantic problem with JetJoe engines years ago. What happened? Were the engines worth the price?
Old 03-18-2013, 08:01 PM
BJ64

O/T - at the time, yes - the were worth the price IMHO.

If nothing else, they put the squeeze on other manufacturers to stop being so silly and asking ridiculous prices for what is in realitly pretty basic technology and helped gradually bring the prices down in general. If I were to go down that road again right now, I would probably choose a KingTech. Equiv power (31lb) in a kero-starter is currently only about 200 bucks more than what I paid for my JJ's (which are propane ignition) - but that was a few years ago now.

Back to my 400 - I'm not sure how to go about ordering the bits I need for my rebuild of the front end. I may as well get a full set of bearings while I'm at it now that it's apart - and I'm not sure how much any of them may have been lube-deprived or for how long. So I might as spend a few extra bob now and do the lot (and I'll pre-lube them too ).

While I can see a few of the more popular parts like head, piston, and piston sleeve on the HK website, I haven't been able to locate any of the other parts yet.

Any suggestions?

BJ
Old 03-18-2013, 11:21 PM
Kmot

You can order all the spares from [link=http://www.justengines.co.uk/]Just Engines[/link] in the UK.

If you don't have a bearing supply in OZ, you can order from [link=http://www.bocabearings.com/]Boca Bearing[/link] , [link=http://www.rcbearings.com/]RC Bearings[/link], or [link=http://www.vxb.com/]VXB[/link] in the good 'ol USA. I have used all of these companies in the past.

Reverend alerted me to a German supplier,[link=http://stores.ebay.com/Tusneldas-Kugellager-Shop?_rdc=1]Tusneldas[/link], and I recently ordered my bearings from them. Including shipping the prices were quite good and the bearings are all quality, if not exactly German made.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:51 PM
BJ64

Thanks Tom.

How would they know what bearings to sell me? My exploded view lists ASP 400 part numbers, and in a couple of cases what look like a bearing serial number, but Google doesn't return anything for these bearing part numbers i.e. the numbers on the bearings must be some sort of general "chinese" bearing with no SKF etc. equivalent.

Same goes for the timing gears - would Just Engines know which part/s I need by the ASP part number?

BJ
Old 03-19-2013, 12:13 AM
tim750r

Thanks Tom.

How would they know what bearings to sell me? My exploded view lists ASP 400 part numbers, and in a couple of cases what look like a bearing serial number, but Google doesn't return anything for these bearing part numbers i.e. the numbers on the bearings must be some sort of general "chinese" bearing with no SKF etc. equivalent.

Same goes for the timing gears - would Just Engines know which part/s I need by the ASP part number?

BJ
Just Engines are the UK main (maybe only?) distributor for ASP. They will have parts stock or be able to get it if anyone can. Friendly helpful bunch too in my experience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.