ASP/MAGNUM FS400AR Rebuild/Overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 08:41 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: ASP/MAGNUM FS400AR Rebuild/Overhaul

ORIGINAL: Carosel43

Ouch, 25mpg? I get annoyed if my car gives me less than 45mpg!
What the he!! do you drive to get 45 mpg?? That is phenomenal.

My truck gets an average of 11 MPG. Yes, it is killing me.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:48 AM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you have got to be kidding Tom.
My 1.6 liter 90 hp citroen also gets around 45 mpg.

11mpg sounds crazy

Fuel cost 10 USD pr gallon here at the moment.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:14 PM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jaav

ORIGINAL: BJ64

ORIGINAL: SrTelemaster150

Here are my 2 current Chrysler products...
I used to have an AP6 'ute' (I think you guys call them ''pickups'').

225ci slant 6 - 25mpg, 75mph all day. Couldn't kill it with a stick...

BJ

The old Vals!! most were killed by the dreaded electrolysis (rust) around the steering box.. the 265 in the Centura was a real fun car if you didnt want to turn or stop..
I bought that car from an individual that purchased the car on e-bay when he lived in Texas. It was shipped from Burbank California to Houston Texas, driven to Northern NY state & parked.

It has never been driven in snow. There is virtually no rust in the car.

http://s76.photobucket.com/user/Powe...Video.mp4.html
Old 05-06-2013, 10:03 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In the next year I am going to try to buy a small car that gets 40 MPG, and just use my truck for hauling large models or cargo.

Here's a Slant 6 for you!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRzk9jSl3II[/youtube]
Old 05-07-2013, 02:23 AM
Carosel43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am with SJN on this one. My 1.5L Nissan kicks out 90 odd HP and gives me 48mpg on a long run at about 60-65 mph (im cheap, running at that speed saves me money!). I have a friend who just moved to Phoenix AZ and he cannot afford a 'car' (I say car, the cars you guys have need their own postal codes they are so big ) and is going for a bike instead. In any event cars are a lot more fuel efficient over here in Europe!

Also, for a laugh, if we assume that a 400 radial runs at about 7000rpm at 75% power while in flight and uses 20oz of fuel in 8 mins (these are my own figures) we can work out the mpg of the engine.. so, 20oz is almost 592ml (0.59L) and at 7000rpm with 8'' pitch we have a speed of 53mph (approx., this is a max pitch speed). so..now for my maths to fail..

4.55 Litres to a gallon (uk gallon not us)

4.55/.59 = 7.71 (how many 8 min flights you get to a gallon)

8x7.71= 61.68 (minutes running)

so if you are moving at about 53mph for just over an hour and use a gallon of fuel that's.... oh look, about 55mpg not bad huh?

Given the capacity of the engine 55mpg is awful, but who cares!
Old 05-07-2013, 02:53 AM
BJ64

Yes - 55mpg for a 65cc engine scaled up to a 225 ci motor (3.7lt) = ~1mpg

And yes, European cars get great economy these days - and with reasonable power/weight. Technology has come a long way.

Don't forget my old Valiant AP6 was a 1965-design clunker. Distributor, carby, 6 cylinders, 2 valves/cylinder. No bells and whistles back then. And that 25mpg was sitting on 75mph (120kmh) all day - with 3 adults across the front bench seat and a uteload of camping gear.

And I could still pass other cars on the road... LoL

BJ
Old 05-07-2013, 03:09 AM
BJ64

Say... what are the odds of getting 2 FAG 60003 bearings - one in a 'blister pack', the other in a single cardboard box (with internal wrapper) - and both are stuffed?

I checked the first one with my finger, and it felt "clicky". Against my better judgment, I intsalled it into the main-bearing backing plate. The motor just didn't feel good turning it over by hand once it was all back together again.

So I ordered the other one. It felt fine turning the centre with my finger - until I got home, and hung the bearing off my finger and gave it a decent spin by hand. Felt those tell-tale 'clicks' again. But I thought meh, it's my imagination...and pressed the other one out and installed the second new one. Poked my finger through the centre and gently spun the backing plate. C-L-I-C-KY!

S**t!

I was super-careful not to ingest any dirt along the way with this one, but it still felt that teensy-weensy bit rough. Gave it the benefit of the doubt re picking up any kind of debris during handling/installation...so I washed it out with some decent sprays of WD40 (with thin delivery tube). Yep... clicky as all hell now.

Feels like one or more balls are chipped. Cleaning it with low viscosity WD40 exposed it even more.

That's 2 out of 2 bearings that I wouldn't trust spinning at 7,000 rpm.

All my other bearings in the rebuild are smooth as silk.

I'm not game running the 2nd replacement bearing just the same as I wouldn't run the first replacement one - a brand new bearing shouldn't have any knock or click to it whatsoever, IMHO.

Poo-bum...

BJ
Old 05-07-2013, 04:24 AM
SrTelemaster150

Yes - 55mpg for a 65cc engine scaled up to a 225 ci motor (3.7lt) = ~1mpg

And yes, European cars get great economy these days - and with reasonable power/weight. Technology has come a long way.

Don't forget my old Valiant AP6 was a 1965-design clunker. Distributor, carby, 6 cylinders, 2 valves/cylinder. No bells and whistles back then. And that 25mpg was sitting on 75mph (120kmh) all day - with 3 adults across the front bench seat and a uteload of camping gear.

And I could still pass other cars on the road... LoL

BJ
My 350 HP '06 Charger get 24 MPG on the hi-way.

When it was modified & making a bit over 500 crank HP it got 26 MPG @ 70 MPH on the interstate, 28 MPG on rural hi-ways @ 60 MPH.\

The lower 3.23 gearing of the 8.8 Ford conversion I had at the time allowed the car to pull grades in 4 cylinder mode. With the stock 2.82s it kicks into 8 cylinder mode on the slightest grade.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:48 AM
BJ64

My poor ole '65 Valiant ran on all 6 cylinders... all day.

Prolly lucky to pull 200bhp in the slanty 225 six here.

Such is the difference of 40+ years technology.

ECU/M... multi-valve DOHC... digital this...digital that. Still - loved me old hay-burner.

Now... them really big radials like the Pratt & W's... sure stonked some power...and sound.

Our lil fellas are a long way off that sound - but hell, there's just something about a radial.

Used to be a pure Jet bloke (and I still love the sound, smell, and ground-shaking shrill of a big afterburner going off)... but I now miss the magnificent sound of our old Caribou's and other 'old world' radials.

I guess I'd love my tiny HobbyKing (Magnum... OS... whatever) to sound as ballsy as a 400 Moki. *sigh*

Still, it's got that neat lumpy sound down low.

Viva la Radial

BJ
Old 05-07-2013, 05:13 AM
Carosel43

BJ I am surprised by your bearing issues but I did experience something similar here at work only to find the bearings were fine. We changed brands on our rear bearings a few years ago and I found the new ones clicky if spun by hand. as you say giving them the WD40 treatment didn't help any and in fact made it worse. as I was curious I assembled a bearing housing and fitted a crank. It ran smooth with no problems. I then built an engine round it and ran it. everything sounded fine so I took it to bits and pressed it all apart. my once clicky bearing was smooth and silk....until I washed out all the oil. then it went back to being clicky. As it turns out the new bearings were a slightly higher clearance version of the bearings we have been using for years and so were slightly clicky when dry. As they were not as draggy we got a little more performance (its fractional, but when you run as many engines as i do you notice these things ) from the engine and so (after I thrashed an engine to within an inch of its life for 8 months with no ill effects) we made them standard.

Clearly I cant say for sure if this is the case with your bearings, but I find it hard to believe that a 2branded bearings bought from different batches and different packaging would both be faulty. to test my theory put a few drops of SAE30 or similar oil on it and spin it around, thenput the whole thing together without the cams, so just thefront housing with the crank supported on both of its bearings, andsee how it feels then.

Oh, and if you want a beefy sound from the 400 use the largest dia exhaust tubing you can find. makeit like a5 pottuba!
Old 05-07-2013, 05:24 AM
SrTelemaster150

My poor ole '65 Valiant ran on all 6 cylinders... all day.

Prolly lucky to pull 200bhp in the slanty 225 six here.

Such is the difference of 40+ years technology.

ECU/M... multi-valve DOHC... digital this...digital that. Still - loved me old hay-burner.

Now... them really big radials like the Pratt & W's... sure stonked some power...and sound.

Our lil fellas are a long way off that sound - but hell, there's just something about a radial.

Used to be a pure Jet bloke (and I still love the sound, smell, and ground-shaking shrill of a big afterburner going off)... but I now miss the magnificent sound of our old Caribou's and other 'old world' radials.

I guess I'd love my tiny HobbyKing (Magnum... OS... whatever) to sound as ballsy as a 400 Moki. *sigh*

Still, it's got that neat lumpy sound down low.

Viva la Radial

BJ
Slant sixes of '60s origine made 145 HP in 225 form.

Lots of torque though.

4 1/8" stroke! Longer stroke than a 454.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:03 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

just buy a new engine a >> os engine
Old 05-07-2013, 06:31 AM
jaav

Viva la Radial

BJ

Hey BJ this was a vid I made some time ago..love the sound..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTULWOfbXwQ
Old 05-07-2013, 06:37 AM
BJ64

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

just buy a new engine a >> os engine
Well thanks, OneAew...

But you see, I have this thing called an ASP FS400AR, not an OS.

Soooo... I'm determined to make my slack ole ASP work for me.

Here's a notion for you - next time I you have a problem with an OS, how 'bout I go visit the OS Forum and tell them all to buy an ASP?

You reckon that would pan out well?

No.

Of course not.

Maybe OS people should stick to their threads, and maybe ASP people should be able to discuss their issues in their own rebuild thread?

How does that sound?

BJ
Old 05-07-2013, 06:47 AM
jaav

yep!!
Old 05-07-2013, 06:57 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

sorry did not meant to upset you i do have 2 asp 60 engines and 5 os engines but thats life
Old 05-07-2013, 07:02 AM
BJ64

Viva la Radial

BJ

Hey BJ this was a vid I made some time ago..love the sound..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTULWOfbXwQ
Heya Jaav - long time, no hear/speak.

Sheesh... I know your name from one of the (many) threads... just can't pick it right now.

Broome - WA - right?

You did some great vids from our Top End...

How ya been mate?

Long loooong time since I worked on Koolan with BHP.

And equally as long since I've been over West... or North West, for that matter.

Our old CAC at Fishermans Bend sure turned out some fine Aircraft.

The Avon F86 Sabre and Snecma Mirage III spring to mind (correct me if I'm wrong). And...of course... our own ABBA Boomer Boomerang

Hell, that big Radial sure sounded good firing up - as do so many of them all.

"Big collector" sounds the go - that's why I asked a few posts ago if Carbon Fibre would work. A 1 to 1 1/2" exhaust ring might deepen the sound of an ASP 400. Just to be different like. I'm guessing it's not all that easy to bend any tubing bigger than 1" diam - copper or otherwise - into a custom exhaust ring for one of these donks.

Dare to be different - way to go

BJ
Old 05-07-2013, 07:04 AM
BJ64

Duplicated post - sowwy

BJ
Old 05-07-2013, 07:13 AM
jaav

Oh Ive been following this forum since my 1st problems...

Now your really have me thinking who the hell are you[]

Ill keep on thinking...
regards Captain Blinky
Old 05-07-2013, 07:43 AM
BJ64

Oh Ive been following this forum since my 1st problems...

Now your really have me thinking who the hell are you[]

Ill keep on thinking...
regards Captain Blinky
Prolly here on RCU...or the "other place" (RCG).

I seem to remember a foamie FA/18 and a few other goodies thumping up and down Cable Beach (?) in vids.

And a bit of fishing-talk on the side

Either way, hope you blokes have the odd RC Radial doing some laps up your way.

You mentioned "1st problems"... what be they?

BJ

Old 05-07-2013, 07:45 AM
BJ64

Yah, Caro - me and you both surprised with the bearing situation.

Reckon if I had that luck in the Lottery, I'd be home and hosed.

Meh - it is what it is.

Hopefully, I'll get a good-un yet.

Just don't want to go through all that 'adventure' and end up regretting noy paying 10 bucks more for a decent main bearing...

BJ
Old 05-07-2013, 07:48 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

I am with SJN on this one. My 1.5L Nissan kicks out 90 odd HP and gives me 48mpg on a long run at about 60-65 mph (im cheap, running at that speed saves me money!). I have a friend who just moved to Phoenix AZ and he cannot afford a 'car' (I say car, the cars you guys have need their own postal codes they are so big ) and is going for a bike instead. In any event cars are a lot more fuel efficient over here in Europe!
I moved to Germany and back to the U.S. after a 3 year stay twice. It was always a culture shock going either way. If you are open minded you can have lots of fun driving on both continents. Big block muscle cars on open roads over here and 911's drafting down the Munich autobahn at 150 mph over there. It's all a blast to me.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:55 AM
BJ64

You speed-freak you, BLW

Lot's of 'dream cars' in my BJ's-best book.

But... 69 or 70 Mach1 'Stang is still pretty hard to beat as the all-time 'Merican Muscle Car for me.

Chargers... SS & RS Comaro's... Pinto's... Cougars... Barracuda's... yadda yadda yadda...

But... IMHO, the ole Mach1 was balls on wheels...

And... to try to bring this even remotely on-topic again - this ain't no ASP Radial.... but jeez... pretty impressive (follow the links to see the rest of his amazing story - EVIL thing that it is...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEKyu5xN6ik

BJ
Old 05-07-2013, 08:18 AM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: blw

I moved to Germany and back to the U.S. after a 3 year stay twice. It was always a culture shock going either way. If you are open minded you can have lots of fun driving on both continents. Big block muscle cars on open roads over here and 911's drafting down the Munich autobahn at 150 mph over there. It's all a blast to me.
The days of the "big block" are over. Modern small block engines can blow away the old school big blocks while getting acceptable fuel economy.

Further developemnt of big blocks will not occur as anything over 4" bore is hard to make to meet emission standars.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:05 PM
BJ64

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

sorry did not meant to upset you i do have 2 asp 60 engines and 5 os engines but thats life
No probs - I get a bit antsy when people come into threads and suggest that the owners of the product being discussed should buy something else - goes back to huge problems we had in another thread where it all turned to crap and there was nothing but arguments going on all around us.

Those that wanted to discuss their purchase couldn't get a word in edgewise, and got humiliated by a lot of rude comments. It really did get quite nasty.

I guess I'm a bit over-sensitive to that sort of thing these days, so please forgive my rather curt response earlier on.

Good to hear you're in the "ASP Club", though it sounds like you may like your OS's a lot more. Fair enough....

BJ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.