Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Sterling Models

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 06:48 AM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Sterling Models

I have the Sterling Diamant and Cirrus sailplane kits. I grew up where hobby shops were very far to find, and seen one as a kid built up hanging from the ceiling. I was only into building the rubber powered kits at the time, and was convinced it was "too big of a kit for me to handle" by my parents. I did my best job of begging for one with no results. I went home that day with the PA-18 Crop Duster kit, and savored over that one instead.

Years went by, and Sterling Models vanished, and had lost the dream until I got a computer and found "eBay". My dream came alive again and if it weren't for so many powerboat kits in the way, I would build them. I have them safely tucked away for that nice quiet winter build, and so glad there are micro-servos around now also.

I will enjoy the early post of the vintage Sterling website.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:45 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

As a kid, our local variety store, our closest version of a hobbyshop, also had an old tissue covered glider suspended from the ceiling. I'm not sure of the manufacturer, but it had an inverted gull shaped wing and the entire model had been covered with silkspan and painted silver. The model was virtually all sticks, except for the fuselage formers. There were many, many panels where the silkspan had popped over time, so it was probably built in the Thirties.

Yes, eBay has made it possible to experience, or reexperience, our beloved models from the past. Other than a Falcon 56, a Sterling Lancer, a Trainermaster and some old ARFs, I have managed to collect new/servicable renditions of all of the R/C models I have ever owned, that weren't built from plans or designed by myself. My house looks like a model distributor's warehouse. I love it.

Ed Cregger
Old 04-10-2007, 08:07 AM
Brazilnut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I"m rebuilding a F4U Corsair that was started about 15year ago and never finished.
Termites did an awful job and ate part of it.
I had the plans and made the missing parts. It will be RC. Anyone have one?
I have no idea of what engine to use.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:13 AM
jetpack

Can you look on the plans and see what kit number it is? Maybe we can find a picture of the box that calls for what motor.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:20 AM
Brazilnut

Thanks
The kit number is FS36.
I need a canopy and a cowl. If anyone have it and is willing to sell for a reasonable price, I buy it.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:31 AM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ed, that old glider almost sounds like the Cleveland Models Albatross. Had a couple of those when I was younger.

A couple LHS have had some of those old Cleveland kits as decorations for years, and started selling them off over the last couple years. Been getting prices that would make sellers on the Bay jealous. Like an old B-17 kit that was $1.98 new in the late forties/early fifties going for $275.00.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:31 AM
sledge_78
My Feedback: (24)

Brazilnut,

I have a sterling Corsair kit or what is left of it. Probably have the canopy & Cowl. However, What I remember of this is that mine was a controline corsair. Is that the Sterling Corsair you are refrrring to? If so, maybe we hae a match for your parts. I will have to check and see, The kit is very old probably from the 1960's.

Gerry
Old 04-12-2007, 10:23 AM
oldsterling

Sterling produced 3 Corsairs. The earliest one was the control line version (Kit# C-9) manufactured from the early 1960s until the mid 1970s. This was a very popular model for carrier events back in the 60s. The engine recommended for this model was .19 to .35 with some competitors going all out with a .60

The "FS" series Corsair (Kit# FS-36) was designed for R/C with a wingspan of 36" and a recommended engine of .09 to .10 - however unless you were a very skilled builder and knew how to build a very light model that would fly with the stability of a 1 - 3 channel model (rudder, aileron, engine), this was not an easy success story. A better way to go with today's technology is to build it out with Monokote or similar covering materials and with a .15 to .19 engine. Still this will be a very hands-on model during flight and requires above average flying skills.

The construction of the C/L version and the R/C version are very different - parts are not compatible as the “C†series models were designed to be much stronger (heavier). However, with both being the same scale it may be possible to retrofit the cowl and canopy with light reworking.

Sterling also produced a "A" series rubber band model of the Corsair.

Old Sterling
Old 04-12-2007, 10:39 AM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Although the C-9 was of the F4U-1, while the others were of the F4U-1A and later, which looked a bit different.

My C-9 with a Fox 45 would either roll up on the lines, or during a 3.2 second lap would fold an outer wing panel.

I know a couple guys in the area built the FS-36 with Max .15s, and did find them to be fast but flyable, as long as you were awake. I never saw anyone with the rubber powered model, but if it were like any of the Sterling rubber powered models I had, the best thing was to use the parts for patterns and use either regular or contest balsa. The sterling kits frequently seemed to have the hardest, heaviest balsa they could find.

Never did see a Sterling design that couldn't fly pretty well, though. They had good designers.

I still have about 12 or 14 NIB pre-Estes Sterling kits in my collection, and even though my son is bugging me to put them up for sale on *Bay, I intend to enjoy myself building and flying them, and after I'm gone, if any are left unbuilt, he can do what he wants with them.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:39 PM
Brazilnut

ORIGINAL: sledge_78

Brazilnut,

I have a sterling Corsair kit or what is left of it. Probably have the canopy & Cowl. However, What I remember of this is that mine was a controline corsair. Is that the Sterling Corsair you are refrrring to? If so, maybe we hae a match for your parts. I will have to check and see, The kit is very old probably from the 1960's.

Gerry
Please check. According to Oldsterling it may fit. Thanks.
Plans shows R/C and C/L instalation.
I intend to go electric using a motor that will deliver at least 100 W/lb.
I love the Corsair and this would not be the first one I own.
Even the bigger ones are a handful, full time job, to control, and the smaller it gets worst it is.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:17 PM
sledge_78

Brazilnut,

Ok, I will take a look tonight when I get home. It has been a long, long time since I have seen any of this airplane. So, I really don't know what remains. I will let you know shortly.

Sledge_78
Old 04-12-2007, 06:55 PM
sledge_78

Brazilnut,

We may be in luck. I found the cowl - it's perfect, it is aluminum. I found the canopy also. The canopy is very slightly misshaped. I truly believe it can be heated or boiled to comeback to the correct shape. It is not brittle. The cowl measures 3 7/8" wide at back, front opening is 2 5/8", the length from front to back is 2 1/2". The canopy measures 4 7/8" front to back and is 1 1/2" tall, 2 3/4" wide. I believe this is the Corsair canopy.

See if thess measure up to what you need.

Sledge_78
Old 04-13-2007, 06:36 AM
Brazilnut

Thanks so much
I'll meassure it and come back to you.
Thanks again
Old 04-13-2007, 08:01 PM
jwfly
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: jwfly

maiden flight will occurr on the next calm evening...

Sterling Fokker DVII takes to the air! The take-off is posted in member videos...
[link=http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/WNRYGKVS2XQYD84D]fokker take off[/link]

she's a little pitch sensitive...she needs more lead in the nose...otherwise uneventful test flight...Hangar 9 sopwiths beware![>:]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64347.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	663570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zf87645.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	663572  
Attached Images  
Old 06-19-2007, 12:29 PM
borgie

does anyone know the correct c of g of a pt 17 stearman 1970"s sterling kit
Old 06-20-2007, 11:14 PM
flysrc

Does anyone know the CG for the sterling spitfire as well, RC version.
TIA Dave
Old 08-09-2007, 07:28 AM
oldguy2

I have a sterling 58" tri pacer that i am putting back together and the only part that i am missing is the cowl. can any one help
thanks
Tony[]
Old 09-07-2007, 08:50 PM
Kaos1964
My Feedback: (12)

Hi folks -

Looking for a kit or plan for the trusty old Sterling Fledgling. Would love to build one, for nostalgic purposes - my instructor, when I was age 12 flew the beejeezus out of one and I learned to fly on it.

Anyone?

Regards,

Bob
Old 09-07-2007, 09:12 PM
mmartin55

ORIGINAL: Kaos1964

Looking for a kit or plan for the trusty old Sterling Fledgling.
By accounts here locally one of the best and most stable trainers available and even in windy conditions.

In stock, ready to ship.

Tom
Old 09-07-2007, 09:20 PM
Kaos1964

where?
Old 09-07-2007, 09:34 PM
mmartin55

google my signature or just my name. 1st page of google results.

thanks
Old 09-07-2007, 09:41 PM
Kaos1964

Thanks Tom - you have mail.

Regards,

Bob
Old 10-11-2007, 01:30 PM
Brazilnut

ORIGINAL: sledge_78

Brazilnut,

We may be in luck. I found the cowl - it's perfect, it is aluminum. I found the canopy also. The canopy is very slightly misshaped. I truly believe it can be heated or boiled to comeback to the correct shape. It is not brittle. The cowl measures 3 7/8" wide at back, front opening is 2 5/8", the length from front to back is 2 1/2". The canopy measures 4 7/8" front to back and is 1 1/2" tall, 2 3/4" wide. I believe this is the Corsair canopy.

See if thess measure up to what you need.

Sledge_78
Sorry for the late reply.
I was working abroad and had to give the project a time.
A friend kept working on it for me and it is nearly ready now.

Sledge 78

My friend made a cowl out od PET plastic and it looks OK, but if you're willing to sell the original one I'm still interested.
I also need a decal set for this plane.
Anyone have a sugestion were I can get it?
Here are some picture.
It is covered with Radar's Lightex.
Weight is a little less than a pound, about 13-14 oz or 400gr without motor and electronics

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83757.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	781048   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69025.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	781049  
Old 10-20-2007, 12:48 PM
gbagley

I have what appears to be 100% complete FS10-2756 F-51 Mustang.
66" Wing Span
Length 60"
Calls for .35 -.60 engine.

View Photos Here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/gerald.b...rlingModelsF51

Send Offers Please...I don't think I have the time or effort that this model deserves.
This is an old kit. The decals are there but will never work

http://picasaweb.google.com/gerald.b...76783482291602

What is it worth? Does anyone what it?
Old 10-20-2007, 10:05 PM
skyshot

Wow! Sterling Super Ringmaster. It must have taken me two months of saving change and a 6 mile bike ride to move up to that kit. Couldn't even look at my old profile version after the final coats of dope dried on the "real" looking job. Amboid glue, Silkspan and my mother screamming bloody murder about the smell of dope in the house. Just wish it came with more than one "windshield" as I just couldn't help a couple glue spots after 60 attempts to get it in place. Thanks for reminding me. Will check Ebay for the next one auctioned. 48 years have gone by but I'm ready for "Super no. II".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.