Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Sterling Models

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 08:15 PM
joeferrara

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sterling Models

Hi, I'm new here. I'm looking for either a kit or a set of plans for either or both of 2 Sterling Models. They're the Fledgling (full size) and the Headmaster. I had 1 of each 30-33 years ago and want to try and resurrect them if possible. I have a big laser cutter and may be able to trade off some laser work if you're so inclined. Otherwise, if you want to sell them, let me know. Thanks,
Joe Ferrara
[email protected]
www.ohlaser.com
[email protected]
Old 09-08-2006, 09:52 PM
sledge_78
My Feedback: (24)

Joe,

You may be able to acquire the plans from the AMA. They purchased the John Pond Collection of plans which was very extensive. I'll bet they will have a copy for you.

Gerry
Old 09-08-2006, 11:18 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hate to break the news, but the Headmaster was kitted by Top Flite. Plans for it were originally in RCM and still available from them.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:58 AM
joeferrara

Thanks guys, I'll check it out!
-Joe
Old 10-13-2006, 03:37 PM
lefty988

PLEASE-does anyone have templates from the Sterling models Emma C. Berry to make the keel, framing members and other parts. I have a partial kit and need the described parts. Tracings from original parts would be great, and I, of course, will pay $$.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:24 PM
jwfly
My Feedback: (2)

Friends, I am visiting this forum for the first time...it's brought back many memories both R/C and u control...my first r/c kit build was a sterlilng lancer bought for 28.00 from penn valley hobby supply... before the sportser there was the lancer...I am just in the process of putting the finishing touches on a fokker DVII (my second one of these) and and looking for forward to battling the hangar 9 sopwith, I'll post a picture in my gallery soon...I still have a u control spitfire, a profile ringmaster and a profile hellcat that were built more than 20 years ago, all air worthy...keep em flying JW
Old 02-10-2007, 07:56 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just picked up a Stinson Reliant at the TCRC auction in Minneapolis today. 30 bucks. The older gentleman that owned it was setting right in front of me and said he had bought the kit in 1980 and the receit was in the box.
He had started the fuse and the wing but I need to go over it as his work looks really nice, just the glue seems a little brittle. The only thing that needs replaced is the cowl, not the right one in the box,but the wheel pants and everything else seems to be there.
Is there a way I should treat the wood. It seems strong and in good shape but feels dry. Should it be treated with something before I cover it?
Old 02-11-2007, 01:13 AM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Balsa wood will keep its strength for many, many years. So far I have never heard of balsa wood being too old. worst thing that you can do to it is let it get wet and set. Prolonged exposure to sunlight over many years might do something but not positive about that.

Most likely the worse problem you face right now is some discoloration. That won't mean anythinmg at all. Just go ahead and finish her up! Some light sanding might be in order, your judgment there.

Robert
Old 02-11-2007, 11:18 AM
mmartin55

Just a note, I am going to add the parts for the 33" Citabria to our offerings of short kits. I will begin CADing them in just a week or so while I am building an original one for myself. Here is a build thread on one that you may find interesting: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147649. Great flyer and simple build due to the center crutch-half bulkhead build which makes it a lot easier to build a straight fuselage.

Check out our website often as we are adding about 2-5 kits a month these days.

Tom
Old 02-15-2007, 10:23 AM
ram61071

hi,thought i would post some pictures of my sterling models pt17 stearman(kit fs 20)as yet unflown,its based on the fullsize example which is based at tg aviation manston uk.powered by a saito 82a,covered in solartex and painted with spectra paints.all up weight is 10lbs 4oz.will keep you posted how it flies
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20162.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	622145   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82560.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	622146   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93518.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	622147  
Old 02-15-2007, 05:31 PM
build light

Tom, I sure am glad to hear about the Citabria. I have been wanting one of those off and on for soem time. I just couldn't seem to catch one for sale at the right price! Now I can have one of even better quality!

Robert
Old 02-15-2007, 08:53 PM
mmartin55

Awesome job Ram! Good to hear I'm not the only nut that thinks the Sterling Citabria has merit.

Tom
Old 02-15-2007, 09:10 PM
PointMagu
My Feedback: (11)

I hadn't realized so many folks were still interested in Sterling stuff.

I have several NIB Sterling kits: RC PT-19, Corair, both the ukie birdcage F4U1 version and the later RC version. I have Mr Mulligan and the Monocoupe, 90A. I have built the Waco SRE and Niueport 28, both powered by old VECO 35's.

Someday, I'll get around to building these classic kits.

PM
Old 02-18-2007, 04:16 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

As far as balsa holding up over time, I have an almost 40 year old Veco Smothie CL plane. I have had to replace the plywood firewall twice, but the balsa was still sound win I recovered it 4 years ago. In contrast, I have an old Ambroid railroad car kit I have just started building from the same time period. I may have to replace some of the basswood sheeting becaus it has become so brittle.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:03 PM
sledge_78
My Feedback: (24)

50+Airyears,

Ah ! the Veco Smoothie. I built that kit in the early 60's and remember it well. It seemed like it took me forever to finish, but what a looker. Powered with an Enya 35 it was a great flyer. I flew it all summer long that year until one day I broke the the up elevator leadout on the bell crank. I gave the remains to a friend who actually made the necessary repairs and flew it again. I know I could have repaired it but my heart just wasn't in it. I ended up building a Top Flite Nobler which is now hanging in my garage. It made the trip from New York to Arizona in almost one piece. I wish I could give it to some young fellow who is learning to fly so he could fix it up and enjoy it as much as I did when I was a kid. It's actually in good shape for a 47 year old.

Keep that Smoothie flying.

Sledge_78
Old 02-20-2007, 05:58 PM
quepasa

Found a NIB kit for the Rimfire on ebay last week and bid $60.00. It went at $81.00[:@]
Old 02-21-2007, 10:39 AM
50+AirYears

One of the things I remeber from the sixties, using Aerogloss dope with lots of elbow grease, you could get a mirror finish that you could almost shave with. (I am old enough to have started really shaving in the early sixties.)
Old 04-02-2007, 11:18 PM
jwfly
My Feedback: (2)

yeah but mom really raised hell when the whole house smelled like dope...
here's some pics my recently finished Sterling Fokker DVII...K&B .61 12/6 prop Black Baron covering (simulated fabric)

maiden flight will occurr on the next calm evening...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95218.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	655842   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18598.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	655843   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rx59936.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	655844   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys49595.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	655845  
Old 04-05-2007, 12:16 PM
amelia-air
My Feedback: (82)

Been awhile since I've been here. Does any one remember why Sterling called the P-51 Mustang the F-51 Mustang ? I picked up a F-51,and a Mighty Mambo at a swap meet, that I plan on putting on ebay . Just thought maybe some body out there might know--Thanks ----
Old 04-05-2007, 01:07 PM
Joe Nagy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi amelia;

Greetings from Thong Beach Florida.

Many, many years ago I asked the same F vs P question directly to the late Ed Manulkin, owner of Sterling, at one of the Toledo conferences, [the last one I attended was 1980]. His reply was quite simple: P stood for Pursuit, F for Fighter. Hal deBolt was also present and concurred with Ed.

I don't know if that explanation helps, but cleared it up for me at the time. best regards from sunny and warm Florida,

Joe Nagy.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:19 PM
50+AirYears

But the change from P to F conversion didn't happen till sometime between the end of WW2 and the start of Korea. So, apparently the correct designation would depend on the period you were modeling. Thus, if you had markings for say the Tuskegee Airmen, you'd use the P-51 designation, but if you were modeling a mustang for a plane or outfit that flew in Korea, you'd call it an F-51.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:31 PM
amelia-air

The picture on the box shows a "Air Force ' version with a full canopy. Earlier version like the P-51- A had a sliding canopy like the P-40 used. I am guessing this kit dates back to 1960 at least. Earlier version were Army Air Corp. --Thanks for the information --
ORIGINAL: 50+AirYears

But the change from P to F conversion didn't happen till sometime between the end of WW2 and the start of Korea. So, apparently the correct designation would depend on the period you were modeling. Thus, if you had markings for say the Tuskegee Airmen, you'd use the P-51 designation, but if you were modeling a mustang for a plane or outfit that flew in Korea, you'd call it an F-51.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:55 PM
50+AirYears

The original prototype Mustang, the the early A-36 Apache dive bomber version, and then the P-51A, B, and C had the turtledeck like the P-40 and others. The bubble canopy was introduced with the -D model, which sacrificed something like 20 or 30 mph at the top end to get increased visibility to the rear. Later -D models had a fin extension added to compensate for loss of stability when the turtledeck was removed. Some of the books on the P-51 make great reading, and are very informative. Like mention of some of the P-51s being fitted with a rear-looking radar even before the end of WW2. But anyway, they were all P-51s untill sometime after the end of the war. In fact, even the Lockheed F-80 Shooting Star was a P-80 during the war, even the ones that supposedly saw some reconnaisance use in Italy.

Is Geneva having as bad weather as Lorain is?
Old 04-05-2007, 05:04 PM
amelia-air

Hi Lorain,
Worse. Lake Erie snow machine is cranking it out--Thank you for a;ll the Great Information...
Old 04-08-2007, 03:40 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: HighPlains

Hate to break the news, but the Headmaster was kitted by Top Flite. Plans for it were originally in RCM and still available from them.

-----------

Yep, Top Flite.

Speaking of the Headmaster. That was one freaky model airplane. Someone even brought out an ARF of it about fifteen years ago or so. It was somewhat expensive, IIRC.

Now, what do I mean by being freaky? It flew in a manner that belied its appearance. I never owned one myself, but I helped a student pilot with his for a while. The wing was kind of neat, as was the force arrangement of the total model. It handled much, much better than it had any right, in a groovy, pattern-like sort of manner. I never did get a chance to analyze the model, not being mine, I couldn't take it apart and play with it. I'm sure its performance was serendipitous as it was designed to be a trainer. It reminded me a bit of a really light RCM Trainer 40/Jr, but handled even better because of its light weight.

Another "trainer" that handled extremely well was the J&J J-Craft trainer, designed by Dick Sarpolous, IIRC. Not the same handling, but exceptional handling for what it was. I did own the J-Craft Trainer and I am convinced that it was the wing that gave it this good handling. Even with only a .40 baffle piston engine for power, this 65" span model was fast and very maneuverable. Much better than it should have been for its large wingspan.

Ed Cregger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.