Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

How Many Builders Are Left?

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

How Many Builders Are Left?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 06:06 PM
Live Wire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How Many Builders Are Left?

How about Air Trails, Man what a ragg of the time. You do not get a write up like that any more.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:20 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

A cautionary tale gentlemen.

I'm ashamed to admit that among the 40+ models I have built, I have assembled three ARTFs.

The first was a Limbo Dancer, a fun flyer, which I bought in the hope that it would improve my flying. It did, until I fed in up elevator while carrying out a low inverted pass!

The second was a Citabria. I had been teaching beginners all day and had persuaded them to curb their enthusiasm for a minute while I flew the Citabria. It was a lovely summer's day and lots of us were at the flying field. At the time we didn't have a "maximum-number-of models-in-the-sky-at-one-time-rule" so the sky was pretty crowded but I'd reassured the beginners that I'd been flying for years and had never seen a "mid-air." "They look close together but they're not really," I said. So with that thought in mind, there I was flying the Citabria in front of and below a Flair Piper Cub, (6ft /1.8 metre wingspan, Irvine 40 up.) I decided to do a vertical climb and his propeller took my tail surfaces off as neat as you like! Didn't even stop his engine and yes, you've guessed it ours were the only two models in the sky at the time!

The last one was my Senior Telemaster ARTF demonstrator, (well I do import the Telemaster range into the UK!) I handed the transmitter to a guy who wasn't as good a pilot as I thought he was. It was a breezy day and the model was in a shallow, curving, downwind dive when he took over control and ripped the starboard wing off! It went in from 300 feet (about 270 metres.) I have never seen a model so destroyed. Other than the tail surfaces it was just a big bag of smashed balsa! Buddy box next time.

About five years ago a friend was running a not too successful model shop. I bought a Seagull Decathlon ARTF to help him out. It's still in its box at the bottom of my bed.

Cowering no doubt!
Old 01-27-2011, 06:51 AM
roaddog2

Funny, that last line!
RD
Old 01-28-2011, 12:44 PM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: gene6029

I managed to get the grandson building too! When i can get him away from his computer games.
Looks like the old days there, Gene. The burr haircut and doping models with a brush, Cox 049 on a C/L model. Beautiful.

My youngest, at 11, told me after about 4 or 5 Stunt and Scale models that, "C/L models are like fish, trapped on the end of the line". he doesn't mind C/L Scale still, but it's R/C for all else. Unless there are others kids and girls around, then a Stunter on the schoolyard grass seems OK.

Chris...

here's Michael in action...

Old 01-28-2011, 04:26 PM
ratshooter

ORIGINAL: N1EDM

I'll bet that if someone wanted to resurrect the old RC Modeler Magazine and publish it with the type of articles that it used to have, it would have a faithful following with the type of folks we have right here...

Bob
For me it would be R/C Report. Man that was a good magazine and the banter between the authors and Gordan Banks the publisher made you feel like you were a part of a family. I did like RCM too.Most especially when Chuck Cunningham and Ken Willard were writing for them. I used to see and talk to Chuck C at Thunderbird field in Ft Worth. He was a nice guy. So was Randy Randolf at Model Airplane News. I would see him at the Small Steps fly in over in Seagoville. I guess no one does the Small Steps thing anymore. With all the little electric planes you would think that would be a once a month event.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:20 PM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

Don't forget good old Flying Models, lots of editorial content, they cover FF, CL, RC, whatever.
If you are ONLY interested in glow RC, you may find it does not have enough in every issue
to justify a subscription, but if you are "multi-facinated" like me you will probably like it. Sounds like
a bunch of you are into CL. (Yes, they review ARF's as well, they are not blind to today's reality.)
Besides MA, FM is the only one I still subscribe to. I do miss the old OLD mags that could
have 3-5 or more construction articles per issue!
Dave
Yeah, I may finish it someday. Yeesh, started it in 2002!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11651.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	1554822   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50065.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	1554823  
Old 01-29-2011, 01:42 AM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

nice work!....Gene
Old 01-29-2011, 04:35 AM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I do miss the old OLD mags that could have 3-5 or more construction articles per issue!
Yeah, I may finish it someday. Yeesh, started it in 2002!
Fritzke.

You want old mags, I have about 1500. I'll take 700.00 for the lot. All the articles you want. Gee, started building it in 2002. HEY! I got stuff I started building in 1980, and still ain't done!!

Old 02-06-2011, 09:12 AM
Ken Kehlet
My Feedback: (89)

Hi Ratshooter,

There are not as many builders today as there were 10-20 years ago, like me, they are all getting OLD. I still love to build as I have for over 70 years, but now my eyesight is not good enough for flying, so I just build models and repair other flyers wreckage.[]

I own all the Harold Osborne and Model Plan Service Master Plans and Scale Drawings. I do make and sell copies.

If anyone wants a copy of my 9 page listing of Plans and Drawings, send me a PM and I'll send the listing to you in a MS Word file. Plans for .020 Power Miss America O.T. to 43% Smith Miniplane size for 40-50cc engines, and a few Warbirds like Art Johnson's Twin Mustang P-82.

Regards,
Ken AMA 1528
Old 02-06-2011, 10:45 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

On the subject of building you may be interested in the Charity Mass Build which will be taking place in England between April and May. The biggest selling magazine in the UK is Radio Controlled Models and Electronics or RCM&E for short. It celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of its founding last year at a fly-in held by the Greenacres Club, near Walsall in the middle of England. It was a great success so this year they are holding a fly-in with a difference as it will feature a Charity Mass Build.

RCM&E has a website, www.modelflying.co.uk and some bright spark came up with the idea of selecting a simple kit and getting lots of modellers to build it for the fly-in. We were asked to recommend a model and of those, the moderators made up a short-list of three. Then we all had to vote for our preference and the "Webbit" ended up as the winner. This is a simple shoulder wing model of 40"(just over 1 metre) in the wingspan and may be powered either by an electric or i/c motor. It is sold by Steve Webb Models as a semi-kit hence its name. Now Steve Webb has had rheumatoid arthritis for most of his life and he has donated £5 ($8) to a medical charity for every model sold.

At the last count at least 30 people said they'd build a Webbit including me, and the organisers hope that the number will increase to 50. There will be an opportunity to make further donations to the charity at the fly-in itself for those who want to. We're not supposed to start building until 1st April but some, because of work or family committments some have already started and have agreed not to post anything on the website until 1st April.

I'm looking forward to the big day, my Webbit will be rather special.

Details are on the RCM&E website.

Happy Landings

Dave

Old 02-06-2011, 07:40 PM
ratshooter

Tele Sales your link doesn't work for me. Can you post a pic?
Old 02-06-2011, 09:41 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

We have a lot of large scale builders in the club. After the latest club meeting, the member gave a presentation on a 1/4 scale model of this plane that he's building. designing it as he goes along. To get the scalloped TE on the surfaces, he's built them with stand-offs to hold steel cable, so that when he shrinks the fabric covering, the seams will pull in. He also said from his research, this plane, designed by Ernst Hienkel, helped the allies in WW-I by killing a lot of it's pilots. It's made from spruce and 1/32 Aircraft grade ply. The turtledeck is actually molded over the backbone.

The Hansa Brandenburger D-1.

BTW, that streamlined box on the top wing contained a fixed unsynchronised 8 mm machine gun.

Name:	Ay74716.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	1559796  
Old 02-06-2011, 10:43 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Have you tried googling RCM&E?

I don't know how to "post a pic."

Please advise.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:49 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Ratshooter,

My grammar school education got in the way of modern electronic communication! I had put a comma after "uk." I have removed it. You sholud be able to gain access to the site now.

Happy Landings

DD
Old 02-07-2011, 09:26 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: ratshooter

ORIGINAL: N1EDM

I'll bet that if someone wanted to resurrect the old RC Modeler Magazine and publish it with the type of articles that it used to have, it would have a faithful following with the type of folks we have right here...

Bob
For me it would be R/C Report. Man that was a good magazine and the banter between the authors and Gordan Banks the publisher made you feel like you were a part of a family. I did like RCM too.Most especially when Chuck Cunningham and Ken Willard were writing for them. I used to see and talk to Chuck C at Thunderbird field in Ft Worth. He was a nice guy. So was Randy Randolf at Model Airplane News. I would see him at the Small Steps fly in over in Seagoville. I guess no one does the Small Steps thing anymore. With all the little electric planes you would think that would be a once a month event.
Well, I'm not a Chuck Cunningham, or a Ken Willard, but I did write the Watz Scale column while Dick was recuperating from his Heart Surgery, and then Dick and I did the 2 Old Scale Guys column together until about a year ago.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 02-23-2011, 08:24 AM
PSBUN

ORIGINAL: bkyrdflyer

Well, let me throw one more angle into the mix. If I could by an ARF of every type of plane I wanted then I wouldn't build it because I simply don't have the time. The problem for me is they are not making many of the planes I like such as vintage bipes. And with an ARF you have to take what ever color scheme they put on it and you can't choose the material. With a kit you have so many options. Seems to me that for most companies their bread and butter these days is electric flight. Open a RC magazine and it seems every other page has an ad relating to electrics.
Just would like to say that just a couple of years back and being one that had just restarted modeling I used to subscribe to a mag, anyway I stopped. They emailed me to ask why and I told them that I had got fedup with them trying to force electric flight and saying in articles that if you still flew "ic power" was no good. I have had a look since but they are still pushing electric.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:00 AM
FNQFLYER

For you guys that like to build and I am one 2 and like yu I have a number of projects on the go some for more than 10 years I would suggest checking out the SAM site, lots of old time stuff and interesting as well
Old 02-26-2011, 06:23 AM
roaddog2

SAM?
RD
Old 02-26-2011, 06:35 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Finished it up and maidened it last week... Quaker 2000, 105" span, 7lb, electric power...

Name:	Hf99772.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	1570102   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38631.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	1570103  
Old 02-26-2011, 08:48 AM
Trisquire

Nice. Does that one also have a HobbyKing motor/esc?

Tom
Old 02-26-2011, 09:28 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It does, 50-55 motor and 80A plush. 15x8 APCe and has a lot more power than a Saito .56 and hauls butt compared to it even though its heavier as electric.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=2102
Old 02-26-2011, 10:35 AM
Trisquire

Cool. Thanks.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:32 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Roaddog2, SAM is an organisation of modelers dedicated to preserving model designs from the early days of model aviation, generaly before the early 1950s. They are mostly free flight, and modified rc versions of those models. They fave local and national contests where the models are flown under modern safety codes, unlike what they did back in the 30s, as you can see on YouTube videos. The rc flying is performed as though the planes were free flight, with either timed engine runs or with fuel alottments. The planes are then flown for time.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:09 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

SAM?

Society of Antique Modellers
Old 02-27-2011, 12:58 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are some outstanding craftsmen and their aircraft hanging around here...you guys have built some beautiful aircraft!

It's been a while since I've designed or scratch built anything...but I still build a kit or two occasionally. Working on a .60 size Ultra-Sport now.

I can "get by" rather well, quality wise, but nowhere near as well as some of you guys! [8D]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.