Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Bridi Rearwin speedster build?

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Bridi Rearwin speedster build?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 04:08 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the info, guys !

Part of the appeal of scale modeling, at least for me, is doing the research. Modelers always seem to be ready to help, sharing what they have dug up.

The more obscure subjects take a lot of digging, and sometimes we are not successful.

A friend recently researched and built a model of a design that never passed the 3 view point, in the full scale. He looked into how the designer built other airframes, and into what was typical for the times. He built the model as close as possible to the 3 views, which uncovered some design flaws. (It would have been almost inpossible for the pilot to enter the cockpit) His efforts were rewarded by a request for an article in an online magazine, and a beautiful model that no one else has.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:56 AM
stevegauth30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that's cool in my book. BTW, have you read my book? Lol.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:12 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

The best part of the statement is: "and a beautiful model that no one else has"
Old 07-09-2014, 01:29 PM
stevegauth30

That's one thing I liked about the speedster. I've never seen another one in person. Sure, there on you tube, but I'll be the only one at my field with one. Go to my field, and every one has basicaly the same planes. I know there around, but not in big numbers.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:06 PM
stevegauth30

Well boys, I'm at the point now where I need an engine. Problem is, ain't got one. Yet. Shouldn't be long though. In the mean time, I might as well start " looking " at the Mulligan. Anyone care to join?
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gold...l#post11838560
Old 07-09-2014, 07:15 PM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
The best part of the statement is: "and a beautiful model that no one else has"
Here's a link to the thread. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1977511

Earl started it, but only Don finished a model.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:17 PM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by stevegauth30
Well boys, I'm at the point now where I need an engine. Problem is, ain't got one. Yet. Shouldn't be long though. In the mean time, I might as well start " looking " at the Mulligan. Anyone care to join?
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gold...l#post11838560
Rearwins, Mulligans. I'm beginning to think that we like the same airframes.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:03 AM
stevegauth30

30's and 40's. That's what gets my blood pumping.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:25 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by stevegauth30
30's and 40's. That's what gets my blood pumping.
Me, too, but don't neglect some of their immediate predecessors. I recently "discovered" the designs from the late 20's. They're not as refined as those from the 30's, but they have a charm of their own.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:10 AM
FlyerInOKC

Thanks for the links guys!
Old 07-28-2014, 01:09 PM
stevegauth30

At least a few of you will be happy to know that I'm real close to flying this beast. Unfortunately I managed to land my 30 CC yak in the top of a real tall tree, but fortunately for me, the engine kept going. So now, I'm yak-less but the silver lining is I have an engine again for the speedster. The engine is a little big for the plane, but I'm used to throttle management. It's a Brillelli 46 CC with a CH ignition. For any of you who are saying " what the heck is a Brillelli?" , it's basically a factory converted chainsaw engine, and a great engine at that. It's always been my favorite gasser. It's a 46 CC, but weighs almost 20 oz less than a G 38 does. I've flown it for years without a single issue other than normal wear and tear. It's got a barely broken in Bowman ring, and a freshly rebuilt carb. I love this engine and can't wait to fly it on the speedster. Not sure if I'll use the tuned pipe yet or the pitts muffler. If all goes well, maybe next weekend she'll fly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	283.5 KB
ID:	2018073  
Old 07-28-2014, 06:23 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Steve, one one hand that ain't cool but on the other OK.
Got a pic of the YAK remains?
Yeah I had a tree jump out from hiding and smack me to the ground

Ken
Old 07-29-2014, 01:59 AM
stevegauth30

Wow Ken, haven't heard from you in a while. Hope things are ok with you and your better half. Sounds like you were lucky enough to get yours back. I wasn't. Only the engine and fuel tank hit the ground. Every thing else is still parked in top of the tree. I don't expect it to come down either without cutting down the tree, which isn't really an option as we rent our field from the town and they already want us gone. The landing gear is wedged in a crotch and there's a branch about half way into the wing making it so that even a wind storm wouldn't blow it down. It has to be lifted straight up and pulled out. I offered $100 to anyone who could get it down, but no one even came close to it. I just want my servos back. There's about $500 worth in it not including the three batteries, three switches, smart fly gear, ...... Needless to say, I'm bummed. BUT, at least I got the engine back. I'll try and get a pic next time I go to the field. Another thing, I'm glad I got an extra cowl for the speedster. I had to hack it up pretty good to use this engine. My plans for now are to fly it this season like it is, and get a G38 for it when I can, and put the 46 in the Mr. mulligan. It will fit in there no problem without hardly cutting the cowl. Financially, times are tough right now as my wife is out of work for a while for health reasons so if I want to fly the speedster, it's my only option. I probably wouldn't have cut the cowl up if I couldn't get another, but seeing that I had two, I figured what the heck. I want to fly it, I don't need a hanger queen.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:49 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Geez Steve, a yak in a tree. Is that anything like ... naw, better not.

Just HOW do you lose a yak in a tree? Must be SOME tree!! I'm like Ken - I'd like to see a pic of that myself.

Gotta tell ya though, that Brillelli looks GOODon the speedster.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:05 AM
TomCrump

How does a yak get into a tree in the first place ?

Name:	4842399280_7b27a25482_z.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	2018248  
Old 07-29-2014, 04:15 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I guess you know that you're gonna get some ribbing around here for that.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:06 AM
flyingagin

Oh man,oh man is about all that I can say
good and bad, but dang it Steve

Man I feel bad about you loosing the electronics. I lost about $150 worth of electronics about 1979 in a bean feild when I crashed my CG Skylark (???) I think it was. The radio was a Heathkit that I had build from a kit. Gee how much is $150 1979 $s today? So I feel for you.

Things are OK here. Money is still really tight as I am still waiting for Disability and a settlement from the car crash back in December. I think both look good especially the disability. That lawyer is all but convinced I will get it it. As an aside she says she sure does not like me on the road driving because of the limitations that I have but compensate rather well for.
When I saw the car lawyer recently, he saw me in my neck brace and is now including the 2 surgeries and limitations since then, in the suit. He said they (other insurance party) can't prove all of this is not from the car wreck, and we can't prove it is, but it is a game gancher. We will see.

House is almost straightened up from our moving in. Garage is organized, and shockingly enough every thing will fit in it. Working on a work bench. Because money is tight i was reusing some wood from the closet we tore out. Well it is to twisted and bent to use for a work bench so that is on hold. I am also going to lower the height about 5". Found out it is way to high or bench top tools to be used on. Also it has been insane hot out there. I can maybe stay out there for 5 minutes and the got to com in to the A/C.

Get some money coming in I will insulate the ceiling, door and outer wall. Then put in a window so we can install a window A/C unit
Sort of spendy but I have a heat pump unit that both cools and heats and is gentle on on the electric bill http://www.lowes.com/pd_545229-1164-...X_4294749561__
Then it will be comfortable year round

Just had my implant reprogrammed and a CT-Myelogram last week so I had to spend 72 hours in my recliner afterwards. and this morning off to pain management. And a bunch of stuff coming up. Geez good thing I am not trying to work and fit all of this crap in at the same time.

I sure will be glad to get back to building. Missing it badly. I got several new designs. kicking around in my head.

Ran across this vid. It is CL but wow the engine sound is awsome, sounds like a full size plane. it is a Tri motor. Crank up you speakers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZG3...ature=youtu.be

Sorry I was so windy

Ken
Old 07-29-2014, 05:06 AM
desilejf
My Feedback: (20)

Steve the Speedster looks really great. Should be really a great flyer at half throttle with your engine choice. Send me a pic when you finish and I will post it on my website.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:37 AM
FlyerInOKC

Find a Boy Scout with some repelling experience. I parked my LT-40 in a 100 ft tree and had my Eagle scout son climb the tree and knock it out for me. It hit a few branches on the way down and hit spinner first but she is flying after the repairs! Check with the local troop you can make it a fun raiser for them!
Old 07-29-2014, 05:42 AM
stevegauth30

Well, I take full credit for landing in the tree. ( I know, a rarety. Most blame radio interference.) I was doing 8 point rolls up and down the field, and lost my depth perception. Thought I was before the trees and not over them. It stinks, but oh well. If you dont want to crash, then don't fly. Right? My bad. I'll get some pics tomorrow.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:47 AM
FlyerInOKC

I get all the credit too in my case. I couldn't hear that the engine died and tried to pull up the nose when she started to sink. It looked like the airplane landed on the tree canopy. The tree in question was what we use to call a witch's broom, all foliage on top and dead limbs below.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:52 AM
flyingagin

Stuff happens when you fly. And if I not willing to fly 'em I ain't building 'em.
Misbehaving trees, barb wire fences, Sh*t happens.

Will keep you wife in our prayers

Ken
Old 07-31-2014, 02:58 AM
stevegauth30

OK, now I'm PO'd. My buddies younger brother climb trees for a living, and volunteered to get my carcass back. so we goto the filled yesterday, and this is what I found. Some A-hole climbed half way up and cut down the rest of the tree. and even though my name and phone number I was clearly posted inside the fuselage, decided to keep fit four them selves. on top of it, it looks as if I did it. I'm sure something will be said to me about it, because I had ask about doing that and was told no.I hope that whoever stole my electronics, trash is their favorite airplane. the only thing that was left was part of the wing tip.

Name:	IMG_20140730_142555.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	724.7 KB
ID:	2018785  
Old 07-31-2014, 03:05 AM
TomCrump

That's pretty low.

I hope the stolen goods test good, and then fail while the thief is using them.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:05 AM
flyingagin

Absolute low life piece of crap trash. Treat 'em like the Saudi's would. Wack

Ken

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.