Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Bridi Rearwin speedster build?

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Bridi Rearwin speedster build?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 05:15 AM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Neither the Ryobi or Paulon are converted yet. Still got to buy the parts. And until some money starts coming in, it aint happening.

he 42cc Paulan is still in the saw body. I wore out the bar and busted the chain. That is half of a new one. And I realized my lumberjacking days are done. The back ain't never going to let me do that stuff again. I got real good use out of the saw though.
Our heater went out in the winter. We had a fireplace, so I used the wood that was there to keep us warm. Some friends of ours had a bunch of acearage with lots of dead oaks on it about 90 minutes away.
So i would take the back seat out of the van (all wheel drive stretched Astro), borrowed a trailer (mini pick up bed conversion), and spend all day harvesting fire wood.. That would last about 2 weeks in the fireplace. I the scored a free wood stove and adapted it into the fireplace flue. I then only harvested wood about every 6 to 8 weeks.

That is what I bought the saw for. I got some really good use out of it. But now it would serve my better in a plane.

The Ryobi is slated for an air boat. I have built 3 so far. We won't talk about #2, as it was just awful. .40s on the first 2 and a .90 on the last. My vision is to install quick mounts for a rescue bumber and and prop cage, and rescue float planes. Remove the bumber and cage and just go nuts with such much power.

Ken
Old 08-12-2014, 05:25 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With the relatively low cost of today's Chinese imports, the conversion market has dropped way off. There just doesn't seem to be a need anymore, as lighter, more powerful options are available.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:47 AM
flyingagin

Yeah you are correct Steve. But all I need to buy is the ignition and prop hub for either engine. I can make the rest. For a DLE I would want to buy a Frank bowman ring anyway. all the rest I can make. I can possibly make my own prop hub as I do have a metal lathe. I know where the on off and speed is

Ken
Old 08-13-2014, 03:52 PM
stevegauth30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I finally got to the bottom of my ignition problem. Turned out to be a bad connector on the. Ignition wire. Its been replaced and is good to go. Thankfully because I was getting a little frustrated and discouraged. I'm just glad it didn't wait until it was in the air to act up. Now I just need to find time to fly.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:23 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Glad to hear you got it licked, been following along. I've got very little experience with ignition engines, none at all with modern ones, but I've been thinking of converting a few of my birds to the new ignition-types - - possibly cheaper to fly overall.

Looks like I've got a lot to learn about these critters. Good luck with the maiden.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:31 PM
stevegauth30

Definitely cheaper, and USUALLY more reliable. I still fly just as much glow though.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:53 PM
flyingagin

Glad it so simple and you caught it when you did

Ken
Old 08-14-2014, 04:25 PM
stevegauth30

Well guys, I'm rechecking and rechecking everything again, and if all gos well and feels right, this bird just might fly tomorrow. I have to say, my nerves are on high alert. I just hope I remembered everything. Let me go check again. Lol.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:02 PM
flyingagin

Lets hope your nerves don't keep you awake tonight You need to be sharp

ken
Old 08-15-2014, 07:00 AM
stevegauth30

SHEEEEEEE FLIIIIIIIIEEEEEEREESSSSS!!! Sorry, forgot the camera. I'll give a full report when I get home.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:09 AM
flyingagin

Oh the agony the inhumanity! Ten stripes on your back with a WET NOODLE!

Ken
Old 08-15-2014, 07:33 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingagin

Ken
Make it twenty!
Old 08-15-2014, 07:33 AM
FlyerInOKC

Congratulations Steve we never had a doubt she would fly and fly great!
Old 08-15-2014, 07:43 AM
flyingagin

Originally Posted by flyingagin
Ken
Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Make it twenty!
Mike is vicious! I like Mike

Ken
Old 08-15-2014, 07:51 AM
FlyerInOKC

Lol!
Old 08-15-2014, 09:16 AM
stevegauth30

Flight report;
So first thing I do, I re check everything for the 97th time. All looks good. So I fire it up, and wouldn't you know, it's way out of tune. So I tune it to the best of my ability with out a tach. And thought it was pretty good. Then I taxi out on to the runway and taxied up and down a few times. Again, all looks and feels good. So I taxi back out to the end, and hit the throttle. The tail came right up which made me feel a little better, but I still wasn't ready yet. I did a bunch of high speed taxis and still felt good. Engine still running well. So I taxi back to the pitts to re fuel and notice the port wing strut really vibrating a lot. The clevis on the top of the jury strut actually broke. Hmm. But I always come prepared, so I slap a new one on. By now, the wind picked up and was blowing directly across the runway. Go figure. But every thing felt so good that I go for it. So I advance the throttle and she tracks straight down the runway. This time I don't back off, and she lifts off with a perfectly scale take off. No elevator trim needed. I did however need a fair amount of right aileron trim. The wind had little to no affect on it. The first flight was very un eventfull. I just climbed it up to a couple hundred feet and just did some patterns. I cut the throttle and to my surprise, there was no tip stall at all. She would just slow down and drop the nose a bit. Good glide. So I announce that I'll be landing, not knowing how it will react, so I just keep maybe 1/4 throttle and she glides in for a perfect three pointer. Honestly the best maiden I've ever had. In all, I have four flights on it. Each one flying a little better than the last. I didn't really bother trying to trim it being that by now the wind was probably gusting to 15. I am a happy, happy man.i do need to make a few adjustments though. For one, I need to change the angle of the wheel pants. There too low in back and now need to be re painted, but oh well. I came home with it in one piece. It feels good. Real good. I'd like to say thank you. To all of you who stuck by and kept giving words of encouragement. At a couple of times I felt like giving up but thanks to you guys, I didn't. Now I'll get to work making some adjustments as tomorrow is our picnic/swap meet/fun fly. One thing I can say is it was quite well received. Most of the guys at my club fly arfs and would never dream of spending two years building one, but the all loved it.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:23 AM
FlyerInOKC

Sounds great Steve! I'm glad you had 4 fantastic flights and I'm sure there are more like that to come!

Mike
Old 08-15-2014, 09:23 AM
flyingagin

That is just awesome and the exact news we wanted to hear Steve. Really happy for ya. Hi fives, some low fives and a side way five

Ken
Old 08-15-2014, 09:25 AM
stevegauth30

Thanks guys. I'm really happy.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:32 PM
stevegauth30

The camera is a chargin. Should be able to get some video in the morning.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:27 PM
flyingagin

right on Steve

Ken
Old 08-16-2014, 12:55 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats, Steve !
Old 08-16-2014, 02:34 AM
stevegauth30

Thank you, thank you. I'm off to show it off and get some more stick time. And hopefully some video.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:29 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Outstanding!! Well done Steve, congrats!!!!
Old 08-16-2014, 10:36 AM
stevegauth30

Appreciate it Dave. I got five more flights today, each one better than the last. And I got some video to prove it . Only problem is I can't find the wire to get the vid from the camera to the PC. I'll find it, just might not be until tomorrow as I have a wedding to attend today. Every one loved it. There were a lot of people there today and all kept saying the same thing, that they couldn't wait to see it fly and how good it looked in the air. It still needs a lot of trimming, but was windy so I didn't bother. The vid you'll see was the first flight of the day. The cross wind on short final caught me off guard because I had a nice head wind right up until that point. Still excellent flights though. Nothing exciting, just a few turns around the patch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.