Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Sullivan molded foam wing sets

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Sullivan molded foam wing sets

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 06:43 PM
Frank Schwartz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sullivan molded foam wing sets

I posted a thread on this a year or so ago and while I located a couple of sets of the foam wings, I never did find the answer to the big question. So here is the story again. About thirty years or so ago, Sullivan offered pairs of molded foam wings for 40 to 60 size planes. Sullivan had a patent on the design, and I thought they were the greatest idea since the glow plug. However, the rest of the world didn't agree with me as sales on them lagged and they dropped it. Then, (this really chaps me) the people who bought out the Sullivan line after Matty Sullivan died, threw the molds for these wings out in the trash.
I always thought they could be the basis of a full range of planes to build using these molded wings but I must have been a majority of one.
Now the question: Does anyone know if there was EVER a plane designed around using these foam wings? I have looked in the catalogs of plans of Model Airplane News and R/C Modeler and F;ying Models and Model Builder and if there ever was a model designed for use with these wings, I have missed it.
I have a few sets of these wings and would like to build a plane to use them, and was hoping I could find plans.
Sure, I could design one myself, but hopefully someone already did.
Thanks, fellows.
Frank Schwartz
79 years young, still actively building and flying in Hendersonville, TN
Old 01-26-2005, 11:04 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Sullivan molded foam wing sets

If I recall correctly, the Sullivan molded wings were about the right size for a .40-.46 sized airplane. You could order plans for the Super Kaos .40 from RC modeler Magazine and adapt the fuselage to fit the wing. You only have to change the shape of the wing saddle cutout to fit. You should then wind up with a nice-flying airplane.

You could also just take the basic dimensions of any Stik-type airplane and do the same thing. Or something like the RCM Trainer 40 by Joe Bridi...also an RCM plan. (If you want a high-wing trainer/sport type.)
Old 01-26-2005, 11:06 AM
skylane42
My Feedback: (53)

I remember those wing.. back when, I wanted to get some but never did. If memory serves, they were a full symetrical and double tapered. Would work great with alot of the 60s/70s pattern designs like the Kaos, Banshee, Mach I and so on..
Old 01-26-2005, 11:34 AM
Frank Schwartz

Yes, they could be "adapted" to fit a Kaos fuselage or others as well. It is a full symmetrical double tapered wing. Airfoil very similar to those that DeBolt used, that is, the high point of the airfoil is about in the middle of the rib rather than forward. Still, I "thought" that someone, somewhere, had a set of plans published in one of the magazines that used this wing.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:42 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Boy, I wish they still made 'em...in '76 I made what's now called a "fun fly" type airplane w/ a K&B .40 w/the pump. It had a simple box style fuse, similar to a Kaos .40, but narrower, and I shortened the wing panels to a 45" span. It cleaned house 2 years in a row at our invitational and I (as a cocky 16 yr. old ) had a lot of the old geezers bugged at me great memories!

It's funny you should mention it Frank, 'cuz I was just going thru some old RCM's last week and saw an article on the PDQ wings. There was an interview w/ Matty Sullivan, and all the troubles he went through getting them into production. You'd think after all that, somebody would have taken the ball and ran with it? What a shame the moulds were destroyed!

I do seem to remember seeing a plane in one of the mags at the time ('75-'76-'77? ) that used them. I believe it was a pattern ship. Can't for the life of me remember which mag tho...I think I'm starting to turn into one of those "geezers" (senior moment?)
Old 01-27-2005, 01:53 PM
Frank Schwartz

There was an article on these Sullivan Foam Wings in RCM? That's very interesting. Can you give me the year and issue of the article? Maybe I can find a copy locally, but if not, there always are copies for sale in the Flea Market at Toledo.
THanks,
Frank
Old 01-27-2005, 10:59 PM
proptop

Yeah, I brought home a stack on old RCM's from the mid-late 70's and stumbled across the article. I'll go thru 'em and find out which one it is for ya...
Old 01-28-2005, 12:25 AM
proptop

O.K. Frank I dug thru the stack and found it! (how 'bout that) The issue is Feb. 1976 RCM

If you can't find it I'll make a copy for ya...PM me and give me your address

Tom
Old 02-01-2005, 01:28 PM
Frank Schwartz

Tom:
Your copy of the article arrived and I have read it three or four times. I don't know how I missed it. I really appreciate it. I sent your set of foam wings out to you by UPS today (Tuesday) and they said you should get them Friday. Look for my card in with the instructions.
Now the rest of the story (With apologies to Paul Harvey): While those molded foam wings never took hold, I still thought they were the best thing since Monokote and instant glue...obviously the rest of the R/C World didn't think so.
I spoke to the people who took over Sullivan after he died and the stupid dolts told me they threw away the molds!! Figure that one out!! I wanted to buy them and see if I could work up a line of printwood kits or plans to go with those great wings.
But, according to Schwartz's Law of Life #1, "Everything good gets discontinued.".
Tom: Let me know when the wings arrive.
Regards to all,
Frank Schwartz AMA123
79 years young and still actively building and flying..................
Old 02-01-2005, 09:37 PM
proptop

Will do Frank...glad you enjoyed the article! Thank you sir!
Old 02-04-2005, 09:32 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I stil have a set still in box. I had a plane several years ago that used my first set. Fuselage was a Fred Reese rolled plywood fuse from an article in FM. I used the partial sheeting and cap strip option. Seems to me that while at the time they were made they might have been recommended for 40 and up, they were well over 600 square inches, and close to 70 inch span. Of course, my Air Trails article on the Smog Hog shows a twin needle K&B 35, and I haven't seen anybody recently using less than a piped 60 on the sig kit. Radios were a lot heavier then, also.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:39 PM
proptop

Anybody remember the FB 100? It was an early ARF, mid '70's, and had a rolled ply (1/32? ) fuselage and I think it was similar to the Reese design? It had constant chord wings though, foam and covered with thin cardboard! Nice flying airplane...

Thanks again Frank!
Old 02-05-2005, 01:35 AM
Frank Schwartz

I sure do remember the FB100..I had a couple of them years and many decades ago....AND two weeks ago at a R/C Flea Market I found a FB100 in pretty good shape with an Enya 40X on it....for thirty bucks! Of course...I bought it and after fitting servos and a receiver it is ready to go...now all we need here in Tennessee is some good weather....
The FB100 is, as we know, no longer made. Schwartz's Law of Life #1..."Everything good gets discontinued"...
Regards to all,
Frank Schwartz
Old 02-05-2005, 08:34 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Frank,

You must be the same feller that came down to the Memphis Prop Busters field in Collierville, TN and flew in our .28 sport pylon races back in the 80's? Howdy! Milton Dickey here. Brian Pate and Jeremy Chinn were over visiting in my shop last night and we were reminiscing about the good 'ol days and your name came up. Jeremy mentioned he ran into Doug Whiteaker and Greg Doe at an event in Nashville. It's spooky, I just bumped into this thread by accident.

I have a set of the Sullivan PDQ wings up in the attic if anybody wants 'em cheap. PM me if anyone's interested.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:22 AM
Frank Schwartz

Yep! That's me!! 79 years young and still building and flying..no more racing as it kinda died out, doncha know......
Oddest thing about the Sullivan foam wings is that, to my knowledge, there were never any plans for any planes published in RCM, MAN or FM or Model builder, that used these wings....
And hello to all the good guys in Memphis...I remember you fellows and the fun times racing......
Frank
Old 02-06-2005, 12:27 PM
DICKEYBIRD

How 'bout that Frank, glad to hear you're doing well and enjoying life! Man, I hope I can still be as chipper as you and excited about modeling when I'm you're age. You are an inspiration.

proptop, I went up in the attic and got the wings down. Here's a pic to make sure they're what you want. Other than the original plastic bag being deteriorated, they're in perfect shape. Not warped, no dings & dents. They look just like Kaos wings. Same airfoil and taper ASFAIK. I'm sending you another PM as well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53561.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	225710  
Old 03-16-2009, 01:46 AM
proptop

Hey Frank...look at what I found![8D]
Old 03-30-2009, 09:44 AM
50+AirYears

Since my last post on this, someone actually gave me a set in a bag. I now have two sets of these little gems, one in a box, and one in a clear plastic bag.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:25 AM
HighPlains

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They were really forward thinking with the design. Notice the double set of ribs where you would put a servo in the wing.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:34 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just got a set for almost nada at an auction this past Saturday. Someday I'll get around to using them.
dennis
Old 03-30-2009, 05:47 PM
gittarpikk

ORIGINAL: Frank Schwartz

I sure do remember the FB100..I had a couple of them years and many decades ago....AND two weeks ago at a R/C Flea Market I found a FB100 in pretty good shape with an Enya 40X on it....for thirty bucks! Of course...I bought it and after fitting servos and a receiver it is ready to go...now all we need here in Tennessee is some good weather....
The FB100 is, as we know, no longer made. Schwartz's Law of Life #1..."Everything good gets discontinued"...
Regards to all,
Frank Schwartz
Hailing from the "other" end of the state... You maybe , by chance , remember an old fellow by the name of Mark Sobeleski.? Started in a Knoxville R/C club and ended up before passing in the Maryville Twin City R/C club back in the 70's
Also I have a very old pattern type airplane in the attic I may post on here to see if anyone recognizes it. I believe it had a bit of crash damage...but was repairable. It wings were almost like the Sullivans, but I believe they are solid foam. Its a 40 ish size and had the "poster board" treatment , making them quite heavy by todays standards.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:05 AM
wellss

There was an airplane in March 1977 M.A.N., called "The Graduate", by Don Prentice, that used these wings. Plans are available from MAN

http://www.airagestore.com/the-graduate.html

I can scan the article if you wish.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:09 AM
gittarpikk

Thanks for the offer, no need to...as its not quite like that plane.... but could be those are Sullivan wings. The wings are salvagable just not sure I want to put the time in for a 'heavy' plane...I like a much lighter plane as they fly much better..
Old 06-11-2013, 10:44 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a pair of these ... given to me.

Don't suppose I'll ever get around to using them.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:31 PM
50+AirYears

I still have 2 pairs of them. I had another set some years ago, that I built a rolled ply fuse for. Plane went down in some woods. The balsa LE got pretty busted up, but in the ouple weeks it took to find the remains, critters did more obvious damage to the foam cores than the full throttle tree/ground contract did. Some dents, but the only real foam damage was from the LG blocks pulling out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.