Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Galloping Ghost reproductions availlable

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Galloping Ghost reproductions availlable

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 08:57 AM
jaymen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Galloping Ghost reproductions availlable

Hello all,
Many of you may have seen or even purchased some of the JBR reproduction components I make. Namely there is the Pulse Commander receiver on 27MHz, The Rand GG-Pak switcher, and the Rand Dual Pak decoder. With the assistance of Crist Rigotti, we are now able to offer a revised and improved version of the receiver, and Crist made up the PC boards for the switcher and decoder, so I can now offer those as well. Prior to Crist getting involved, the switchers and decoder boards were cut by hand and not economical to manufacture.

The receiver is available in three versions:

1. The original Pulse Commander version (ADC) for use with Adams and magnetic type actuators, on 2.4 volts, 3.0 and 3.6 volts optional.
2. Single channel Tone (SCT) version to drive escapements and relays (8 ohms up to 5000 ohms) Can be configured for 2.4, 3.0 (satndard) or 3.6 volts. This is a relayless open collector version.
3. Galloping Ghost (GG-1R) for driving Rand GG-Pak, and Rand Dual Pak actuators on 3.6 volts.

A GG-2 version is in developement which will have a built in switcher to drive the early Rand actuator that had no switcher (black base Rand actuators) This will be similar to the Min-X SH-1R that came with their GG-1200 Pulsmite system.

The Rand GG-Pak, and Dual Pak decoder reproduction boards can be also used with the early black based Rand actuators with the addition of a dropping resistor.

All of these come wired and tested, I use the Deans catalog # 1003 3 ipin gold connectors as they are period correct and available at hobby shops as well. 27MHz crystals are additional, and the receivers are factory tuned and tested for proper operation and range.

The receiver is a perfect replacement for the following radios:

All single channel Tone systems such as Citizen-Ship, F&M, CG, C&S, Ace R/C, McGregor, Min-X, Controlaire, Futaba, Orbit, Kraft, Deltron, and any other 27MHz tone transmitter.

Galloping Ghost: Mattel, Testors Simpulse, Sterling, McGregor, Controlaire GG, Min-X Pulsmite, Jansson, Ace R/C, Phelps, Locigtrol Digi-Ghost, Hallco 103 123 SS/TA, Bonitron SS, F&M GG-1,2 , Citizen-Ship NPT, and any other 27MHz pulse proportional transmitter.

I can also repair your transmitter or system, and replace things as needed to make it work again. I have a limited stock of Rand parts if you send your actuator in for repair, or upgrade. We also can do swaps and trades depending on what you have.

PM me for more details,

Jay
Old 10-19-2013, 04:33 PM
H5487

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jaymen,

Your post is great news! When I was first getting into R/C (mid '60s) the magazines were chock full of ads for Galloping Ghost systems. I never had one myself (my first rig being a used Digi-Trio system) but I've always felt that I missed an important part of the evolution of radio control. I might just get one of your systems and look for a first generation Jr. Falcon kit!

Harvey (Suddenly 14 years old again! )

PS
Some pictures or videos of your GG systems would be nice!
Old 10-22-2013, 04:28 PM
jaymen

Default Photos of GG stuff

Here are some photos of Controlaire and Hallco systems, LR-3 and Rand Pak LR-3 actuators, and a shot of the reproduction receiver,GG Pak switcher and decoder for a Dual Pak

I plan to release a new version of the receiver as soon as flight testing is complete. It's the same as the other previous versions, but has more filtering, better traces near the crystal to they won't break should it get bumped, and now there will be 4 versions of the board, each specifically laid out for that particular model. In the past, I simply modified the board for the other two versions. Crist Rigotti has graciously helped me in laying out and fabricating all of them including a 4th version which will include the Rand GG switcher on the receiver board. This then will be used for adding a switcher to the old non-switcher equipped Rand LR-3s, thereby upgrading them. The original LR-3s were made to be used with a relay type receiver, and used a heavy 4 cell center tapped battery to power it, and two more batteries to power the receiver. The upgrade eliminates the need for a second battery pack, and everything runs of 3 AA NiCad cells, making it much lighter. For those with a relayless receiver, and an old black base Rand LR-3(no switcher) I offer the switcher separately. I offer the GG-1 receiver to work with Rand GG-Pak, and Dual Pak actuators, and the decoder and switcher assemblies separately for replacement or upgrade of Rand Actuators.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ghost systems.jpg
Views:	1169
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	1932094   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dorf Rand 1a.jpg
Views:	1326
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	1932101  
Old 10-22-2013, 04:52 PM
H5487

Jay,

Where do the actuators come from? (Yes, I know; from older actuators.)

Do you have some or will we need to supply them?

Harvey
Old 10-23-2013, 07:08 AM
jaymen

Finding the transmitters and actuators is the fun part. They are too expensive to reproduce in small quantities, given all the injection molded parts and sheet metal fabrication required. Good thing is there are still plenty around, they come up for sale periodically.
I started the reproduction receivers because many sets are missing the receiver, or the parts to fix them are no longer available.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:30 PM
RichardGee
My Feedback: (156)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Guys,
I just purchased a Mattel 1 ch. system (actuator "galloping ghost"). However, it has no instructions and I am just curious what batteries the TX and RX require? Anyone happen to know?
THANKS
Old 11-09-2016, 09:58 AM
SGC

The Mattel Tx uses 9v and the Rx 2.4v
Old 11-09-2016, 10:30 AM
RichardGee

Originally Posted by SGC
The Mattel Tx uses 9v and the Rx 2.4v
Awesome! THANKS!
Old 11-10-2016, 05:53 AM
SGC

Richard
You might also find these usefull :- http://vintagercfiles.com/Files/Mattel/
Stewart
Old 11-10-2016, 09:17 AM
RichardGee

Originally Posted by sgc
richard
you might also find these usefull :- http://vintagercfiles.com/files/mattel/
stewart
wow, thank you so much!
Old 11-23-2016, 08:33 AM
jaymen

Actually, the receiver used two 1.5 V AA alkaline dry cells, which would be 3 volts. Two NiCads will work, the actuator will have a little less power, but should be OK. You will find that the stops on the actuator limit it's movement such that it only responds to about half of the movement of the joystick. If you modify the actuator stops to allow the actuator to move more, it will increase the range of control a bit. You can increase the rotation of the actuator magnet to a maximum of about 80 degrees. You can also use an Adams actuator with the Mattel, which is an upgrade.

The Mattel radios were made by Futaba.

Jay
Old 11-23-2016, 09:40 AM
RichardGee

Originally Posted by jaymen
Actually, the receiver used two 1.5 V AA alkaline dry cells, which would be 3 volts. Two NiCads will work, the actuator will have a little less power, but should be OK. You will find that the stops on the actuator limit it's movement such that it only responds to about half of the movement of the joystick. If you modify the actuator stops to allow the actuator to move more, it will increase the range of control a bit. You can increase the rotation of the actuator magnet to a maximum of about 80 degrees. You can also use an Adams actuator with the Mattel, which is an upgrade.

The Mattel radios were made by Futaba.

Jay
Great info, THANKS. I am wondering IF I could use a single LiFE cell to power the Rx? it is 3.3v nominal.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:35 PM
jaymen

You will not want to exceed 3 volts as the receiver will get squirrelly. It can be set up for more voltage, but that requires changing a couple resistor values and re-tuning it. I recommend you buy one of those small DC to DC converters, about 2 amps, and put it between the battery and the receiver. They have an adjustment pot you can set to get the voltage to exactly 3 volts. They are on eBay all the time for just a few bucks. Sometimes they are called bucking converters, just look for the adjustable types. Pololu also carries them.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:09 PM
H5487

Jay,

Wouldn't a switching p/s be too noisy (electrically)?

Harvey

Last edited by H5487; 12-13-2016 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:51 PM
jaymen

Some are, and some are not, I have yet to get a bad one that caused problems, so I'm guessing they have improved over the years.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:28 PM
jaymen

Update:

Reproduction Rand LR-3 style actuators now available.
I now offer GG Tobe actuators with custom electronics I build for them so they can be used with any modern proportional radio. Uses Futaba/JR/Spektrum plugs, plugs into your aileron and elevator channels of your receiver. Gives original Galloping Ghost pulse action, good for planes up to .15 power or 52 inch span. Use with ESC for electric planes, or use a throttle servo for gas engines. For pulse rudder only too. [email protected]