Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Taurus Pictures - She's Baaaack!!

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Taurus Pictures - She's Baaaack!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 06:42 PM
jjpetro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Taurus Pictures - She's Baaaack!!

Just finished building the Taurus prototype and flew her last weekend. Quite a sweet flying plane. Supposedly, the "first" pattern ship. It was designed by Ed Kazmirsky and featured in MAN in the mid 60's. I have redesigned the plane to incorporate present building materials and techniques, but the same lines, shape, and wingfoil are still present. She has a "lifting stabilizer", the stabilizer has a fully symmetrical airfoil. This feature gives the plane unique and pleasant flying characteristics. As it turns out, I'm kitting these planes (wouldn't ya know it?!). Any one interested, drop me a line. Otherwise, enjoy the pics!!

For those of you who know Lance Maresh; this is the kit he was producing. I bought the kit line from him.

Jeff Petroski
Home and Hobby Solutions, Inc
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84494.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	239052   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx73752.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	239053   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13237.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	239054  
Old 03-06-2005, 07:42 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Taurus Pictures - She's Baaaack!!

You are kitting these?

I was told in no uncertain terms by the folks in Chicago they had all rights to the design, and any movement as to reproductions would be handled in the court.

How did you get around them?

Wm.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:45 PM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Wm,

I don't think he has to get around anything. Check this website and see what you think......

http://www.unc.edu/~unclng/public-d.htm

The way I understand this chart... if it was created pre 1963 and no effort was published to extend the copyright... then the Taurus is now a design in the public domain.

I would want to do more research.. but this was quick.

Dan
Old 03-08-2005, 07:57 PM
jjpetro

Well, just to keep everyone happy, I'll probably rename the kit and reference the "heritage" of the Taurus. There are enough interior structural and materials differences to warrant a name change.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:59 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Dan.....

Was a major lawsuit concerning names settled about 1/2 year ago. The Ford Futura title used since 1962 through 1980 had to be dropped, as PEP Boys stores said this conflicted with their brand of Futura tires.

The title of Taurus has been held and used by Top Flite numerous times since the first naming.

Wm.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:46 AM
kdheath

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, Jeff,
I'm just old enough to remember the impact the Taurus had when published in MAN. I still have my copy of the magazine with Kazmirski on the cover holding the prototype, and now have a copy of the kit plans. Zowee! Compared to the pattern ships of the day...Well, look at the Astro Hog, for example. It was no contest.
Will your kit be a full kit or short kit? Have you kept the molded leading edges? Price and availability?
Thanks,
Kelvin
Old 03-09-2005, 02:28 PM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Wm,

So, according to what you posted, Top Flite should be going after Ford???? How many millions of Taurus' has FORD made?? Either way... The Taurus is a great flying plane and it should be available......maybe change the name to Mustang????

Dan
Old 03-09-2005, 04:39 PM
bruce88123

Sorry, I think North American got that one first.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:39 PM
jjpetro

Kelvin,
I offer three variations of the kit. A short kit, short plus kit, and a full kit. Prices are $90, $120, and $145 respectively (plus shipping). The $145 is an introductory offer for the first production run. The full kit price will be higher on the next run. If you are interested then drop me an e-mail and I'll send you a lengthy description of the kit and its contents. Thanks for asking.

Jeff Petroski
Home and Hobbies, Inc.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:10 AM
Jimmy Bananas
My Feedback: (13)

Hey Jeff:

Remember the Taurus very well..flew mine back in the mid 60's...my first serious attempt with an aileron plane...lasted a couple of years...Flew it with reeds(ole radio eqt.) used a F&M Matador radio..Just finished up a Pappy Debolt 'Livewire Cruiser', high wing trainer...First one was built in 63..will post pics of it later in here...should have some fun with it this spring and summer....about 5 Ibs,with a Mag 36-2 stroke........Plans are available...
Old 03-11-2005, 08:38 PM
jjpetro

Jimmy,
I must of gotten the last Taurus on the shelf about 22-23 years ago because I haven't seen any more on the shelf since!! I finally finished building it about two years later (I had some other priorities at the same time, like going to college at night, raising a family of five, and holding a full time job). Then on the maiden flight the battery switch shorted and the Taurus eventually found the roof of a brand new house.

I'm probably not quite the age of many Vintage fellows (I'm 45), but I've always greatly admired the lines of the Taurus. Ed Kazmirski did a great job!!

Although my first flight lasted less than a minute, I've been looking for another Taurus ever since. Finally!! I can make as many as I want and share it with others.

Jeff Petroski
Home and Hobby Solutions, Inc

Old 03-30-2005, 07:37 PM
jjpetro

Well the first production run is sold out except for one short plus kit. I appreciate all of the positive comments and encouragement received via e-mail. The second production run of the Primus/Taurus will probably start in 4-8 weeks, gotta work on the web-site now! As of this writing the short plus kit is available if anyone wants it. Thanks again everyone!!
Old 03-31-2005, 07:38 PM
Matt14x

Hey Jeff

I can only dream of a Torris with a 4s 91 in it. Has this 'dream' happened? Not a bad idea from an old fart with new ideas, is it ??

Tell me you did it already? If You didn't Please tell me, send me a kit, I'll for pay ofcorse, and I'll tell you obout it.

AMA 10411
Old 03-31-2005, 08:43 PM
Matt14x

JEFF Again

How about a Torris with mono-kote and retracks ,plus an Saito 100 Black Knight. It's almost spasmatic, I will do this in my life time.

God Forbid

Matt

I'll need a little help in the idea department from you from you.

Old 04-01-2005, 09:20 PM
jjpetro

Hey Matt,
I have not, but have seriously entertained, put retracts into a Primus/Taurus. I've actually drawn out the shape on CAD, the plane looks really good with gear up/ no gear. I also have not put a 4C on one yet either. I recently have been tossing around putting in a TT .54 4C in one of mine. Well, I guess it leaves you wide open to do it all yourself. It seems someone out there should have already put on retracts and a 4C though.

Anyone?
Old 04-02-2005, 07:59 AM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: jjpetro

Hey Matt,
I have not, but have seriously entertained, put retracts into a Primus/Taurus. I've actually drawn out the shape on CAD, the plane looks really good with gear up/ no gear. I also have not put a 4C on one yet either. I recently have been tossing around putting in a TT .54 4C in one of mine. Well, I guess it leaves you wide open to do it all yourself. It seems someone out there should have already put on retracts and a 4C though.

Anyone?
It would look great! Here is a couple of in flight shots of my Howard Engineering Kwik Fli III Taper Wing with its trike gear retracted. There is a detailed build thread on it over in the RCU Pattern forum.

Name:	Ro41883.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	252691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok29074.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	252692  
Old 04-02-2005, 05:09 PM
Matt14x

Geff

I believe I just might get a kit from you when available and build a Spasmatic Torris this winter.

B17B

Your Quik-Fli looks MEAN with retracks. Are you sure you didn't just hand launch that bird, ha ha

Matt
Old 04-09-2005, 10:49 PM
kdheath

I just wanted to post a note that I received my short+ Taurus kit from Jeff. It came in right on time. The wood selection is very good-of course the laser cutting is nifty. I thought there was a baseball bat in the kit at first, but it was the top fuselage block. It is a huge piece of wood, but Jeff has roughed it down, so about 2/3 of the work is done. It just needs final shaping and hollowing.

As Jeff notes on his instruction sheets, it is a builders kit. If you need your hand held at every step, this isn't your kit. But if you can build, it won't be any problem. For instance, there are nice building tabs on the ribs, slotted for the TE sheets.

One thing I really like is the way the plans are formatted. Most plans are such huge square sheets that they are a PIA to handle. Jeff has these laid out in narrow strips that fit on a normal size workbench. That is a great idea. I hate cutting up plans.

So, knowing how much work it takes to get a kit ready and actually shipped, I gotta give Jeff a lot of credit for his quality work and good customer service. Two thumbs up!

Edit to add a positive note about the nice crystal clear canopy, too.

Kelvin

Old 05-09-2005, 12:02 PM
jjpetro

If anyone is interested, I'm beginning the second production run. It won't be available for another 3 weeks or so. There already is a waiting list and the first run was snapped up in just over a week. So, drop a line if you're interested
Old 05-25-2005, 10:56 AM
kingaltair
My Feedback: (4)

Jeff,
It was great seeing you and your "Taurus replica" at the Vintage RC flyin. For the benefit of others, my Taurus was an original kit purchased in 1982, (certain details of the design were modified such as vertical fin shape, and stab) --and just finished last week, with its 1st flight at the meet. It's a long story why it took that long.

I don't know what would happen with a FS 91, (if it would fit), but we both know how it flies on an OS FX 61 at 2/3 throttle--it moves. Sorry the wind was not very cooperative for more extensive "shakedown" flights, but I'd like to get together again and pick up where we left off.

I briefly looked over MY NEW KIT, and it's great. I'll probably build that one STOCK.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:47 PM
jjpetro

A couple of fellows from the "Auburn Planesman" club sent these pictures in. Thought you guys might like to see them. Nice job.

Kwik-Fli III should be available in January.

Name:	Pn36987.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	346311   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75104.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	346312