Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 03:55 PM
HarryJ
My Feedback: (98)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

Vincent
Kangke currently has the UPF-7 in two sizes, 1/5 scale and 1/7 scale. Both are ARF's and great flying planes.

http://kangkeusa.com/superkraft.htm
Old 01-05-2008, 04:20 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jacque, Contact SIG in Montezuma Iowa. They sell the plastic sheets (or they did). If all else fails, go to your friendly local motorcycle shop, and buy a clear flat shield or a flip up. They are about the correct thickness, and you can cut them to fit whatever you want. If you want something a little lighter, and thinner, grab a 3 liter bottle of your favorite soda. The bottles can be used for canopies and windscreens if you cut them up. I made a canopy for the third scale Bulldog that we are giving away from a 3 liter bottle.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-05-2008, 06:58 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bill is correct about SIG selling the clear plastic sheets for windshields. I just picked up my Fuselage kit for my Spacewalker II yesterday, and there they were....two sheets in their clear blue protective wrappers. I assume if they're still selling them in kits that they are also selling them as separate pieces. Good luck!

http://www.sigmfg.com/

Their number should be on this site.

Jim
Ummmm.....third scale Bulldog you are GIVING away?? Okay, how do I get in on this? Bill?
Old 01-05-2008, 09:12 PM
Live Wire

M J
Check the sticky in Kit build forum Sorry[&o]
Pitts Bull Dog
Old 01-06-2008, 06:00 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I am looking for some advice from you guys.

I would be interested in hearing what servos you are using in either the 1/5 or 1/6 scale WACO’s (Wah-Co’s - man that’s hard for me to say like that).

My particular applications will use two servos for ailerons, single pull/pull rudder servo, not sure on elevator setup as of yet other than it will be one servo.

Also would like to have input on the digital servos. To read literature on them, you would be led to believe they are the best thing to happen to RC.

Has anyone had experience with the “new†Futaba 7C 2.4 system?

Flight pack battery advice would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Rick
Old 01-06-2008, 07:06 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: RICKSTUBBZ

I am looking for some advice from you guys.

I would be interested in hearing what servos you are using in either the 1/5 or 1/6 scale WACO’s (Wah-Co’s - man that’s hard for me to say like that).

My particular applications will use two servos for ailerons, single pull/pull rudder servo, not sure on elevator setup as of yet other than it will be one servo.

Also would like to have input on the digital servos. To read literature on them, you would be led to believe they are the best thing to happen to RC.

Has anyone had experience with the “new†Futaba 7C 2.4 system?

Flight pack battery advice would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Rick
Rick,

I only use HiTec servos. The setup that you mentioned will be great for the YMF. Use digital if you wish, but the analog servos are still perfectly acceptable to use. I don't use any servo that will not produce at least 80 in/oz for a plane this size, although others have done so with no problems. I do use a digital servo on the adjustable horizontal stabilizer, since it's holding power is necessary.

I own a Futaba 7-C system, and would reccomend avoiding this one. The JR 9303 or the Futaba 9-C system is far better. There are things that you will wish to do with your radio that the 7-C is incapable of accomplishing. Also the 9-C and the 9303 both have modules that you can change out, and the 7-C does not offer that capability. It is sort of an entry level radio to get you into something better than a standard 6 channel sport radio. As such, it is marginally acceptable, but for just a little more money, you can get something that you can use for lots of more diverse models, and functions such as mixes that the 7-C can't perform. (this is not to say that the 7-C does not have mixing capabilities, but there are mixing functions that it can't do)

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-06-2008, 08:14 AM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

ORIGINAL: skylarkmk1

Anthony,

You were talking about removable flying wires and the concealed attachment points in post #5248, page 210. If you haven’t done so check the link BigBird99 posted in #5255, page 211. Hans has a quick disconnect method using the ends of bicycle spokes and some “key hole†plates attached to the spars or fuselage EARLY in the construction. I am still looking for the link to the Canadian dealer that handles Aero Scale Products (scale flying wires), but they are quite expensive.
John,
I am going to have to wait until I get building and to that point before I take a serious look at how I am going to tackle the issue. I want it to look as scale as possible but I don't want an hour of assemble time at the field either. I am also looking at buying a box trailer to haul my planes and then I can just leave the plane fully assembled.
I showed my wife the video of the 1/3 scale with the RS215 radial and she asked if that engine would fit in my plane, I told her no that it was too large for the plane I would have to build a 1/3 scale to get it to fit. She told me that would have to wait until I get my shop built so I would have enough room. She didn't even bat an aye when I told her how much that engine cost, I think I may hang on to her after all.
Anthony
Old 01-06-2008, 08:32 AM
Jacque
My Feedback: (22)

Thanks Bill and Jim, I tried to call Sig Sat . But they are open just Five days. Can't blame them for that . I will call them on mon. ...... thanks for the info.

Jacque
Waco Brotherhood #27
Old 01-06-2008, 12:56 PM
RCBOATMANIAC

Hello Brotherhood, some good news I received the plans yesterday for the 1/6 scale YMF-3, down fall that is all I got I have nothing to go by to make parts with unless I had a way to enlarge the parts in the parts locator area. Unless the parts listing that Bill supplied to the House of Moy http://www.houseofmoy.com/waco/ would be of some help to make the parts for the 1/6 scale plane, and if so how much would I have to reduce them to make them work. Then to come up with the list for all the wood I will need to get this project started. Thanks Dave
Old 01-06-2008, 02:44 PM
WacoNut

Dave,
I do not want to burst you bubble but you needed to request the templates also, I would give them a call and request the templates. The templates were not part of the original plans from Cox. Bill traced the parts from a kit and supplied the templates to the AMA. For some reason you have to request them when you order the plans, they will not automatically supply them when you order the plans.
Anthony
Old 01-06-2008, 03:43 PM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

Hi Bill,
heard anything new in regards to the landing gear?
Old 01-06-2008, 05:29 PM
skylarkmk1

Dave, Anthony,

Unfortunately, the templates and plans from the AMA are for the 1/5th scale Pica Waco. The AMA can enlarge or reduce most plans most of the time, you have to call for a special request and get a price quote (see the FAQs on the plans page). And yes, request the templates at the same time.

You can download the jpg templates from the House of Moy site and use a simple program like MS Paint to print them out. You have to go into page set up, set the margins to 0, turn off the centering, select portrait or landscape and adjust the scaling to what ever percentage is needed to fit the plans. Bill put a scale bar on the each of the part sheets (another check). This is where you have to experiment a bit (print the page) and check the results against the top and side views. If it prints out correctly in one direction, but not in the other, you have to tweak the image using the stretch/skew function under image in the tool bar. After you cut the parts out and glue them in place, they may still need a little tweaking with sandpaper.

It is a bit of work, but can be done. (I took the easy way and just ordered the 1/5th plans).
Old 01-06-2008, 06:44 PM
RCBOATMANIAC

Thanks John, but I just couldn't pass up the price for the plans, I found them on Ebay for a buy it now price of $24.99 and they came with the instruction booklet. I am just trying to figure out a way to come up with templates to make all the parts. The parts locator on the plans have all the parts, but how can I enlarge them for a 1/6 scale and be exact to the size I need. I guess I should have saved and spent the money and got the 1/5 scale plans from AMA, unless you could give me an idea of how much I might need to reduce Bill's from the houseofmoy and be in the ball park. On page one of the plans I can pretty much go by the plans and make the ribs for the wings by going of of the wing section picture. The fuseage is a whole different story. By all means any suggestions are welcomed. Dave
Old 01-06-2008, 06:58 PM
RCBOATMANIAC

Anthony, If you want to check out a cool looking engine check this one out. http://cgi.ebay.com/HH50T-50cc-TWIN-...QQcmdZViewItem that is a nice looking engine. Dave
Old 01-06-2008, 07:34 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Hughes500E

Hi Bill,
heard anything new in regards to the landing gear?
Nothing yet, but I figured that the holidays had dinked with Darrell's schedule. I will call him this week.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-06-2008, 07:39 PM
Stickbuilder

I have never seen an unbuilt 1/6th kit, so I don't know if the parts are the same (only scaled down) Take the measurements on the parts for the fifth scale, multiply by 5 and divide by 6. That will put you on the dimension. Make all the parts from 1/8" stock and you should be okay.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-06-2008, 08:02 PM
RCBOATMANIAC

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

I have never seen an unbuilt 1/6th kit, so I don't know if the parts are the same (only scaled down) Take the measurements on the parts for the fifth scale, multiply by 5 and divide by 6. That will put you on the dimension. Make all the parts from 1/8" stock and you should be okay.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Bill, on your drawing the reference marks you have on there like most of the wing ribs you have 3" on them once I print them out and the reference mark is on measurement then the size of the ribs are correct. Doing the math I just need to reduce them to where the reference mark measrures about 2.5" in length. I will try and reduce none and see what I come up with. Thanks Dave
Old 01-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Stickbuilder

I put the reference mark on every page, in case things got skewed in copying, they could be adjusted. The reference marks have an exact measurement and I rechecked the measurements before I marked the original length. It would stand to reason that if the mark measures the same as is notated, then the page should be accurate.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-06-2008, 11:12 PM
ctflyboy
My Feedback: (3)

RCBOATMANIAC (DAVE)

I HAVE A 1/6 TH SCALE WACO KIT UNBUILT PERHAPS i CAN BE OF HELP.

I'LL SEND YOU A PM

GEORGE
WACO Brotherhood # 5

Old 01-07-2008, 01:02 AM
RCBOATMANIAC

ORIGINAL: ctflyboy

RCBOATMANIAC (DAVE)

I HAVE A 1/6 TH SCALE WACO KIT UNBUILT PERHAPS i CAN BE OF HELP.

I'LL SEND YOU A PM

GEORGE
WACO Brotherhood # 5

George

I sent you a PM you stepped in as an answered prayer on this I Thank You.

Dave

Bill,
So far everything I have printed is matching up to your reference lines for size, and hopefully I be able to make parts for the 1/5 scale without any problems, but I should probably still get a set of plans for the 1/5 scale to build it for dimension purposes. again Thanks a lot so far for the help. Dave
Old 01-07-2008, 06:39 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Duh...sorry, George, I knew you had that, too. Probably freudian greed complex steering my subconscious, as I had previously been giving serious thought to getting that from you.

Sorry, I should have mentioned it.

Jim
Old 01-07-2008, 05:36 PM
Stickbuilder

I'm glad that you were able to download the templates with the correct sizing. I would advise you to check every page, since there seems to be no rhyme or reason for the oddball sizing. Also check the other dimensions where you can. You can get the width of the formers by measuring the plan at the crutch , and the ribs by the few cross sections that are shown on the plan. The tail group is not part of the templates, since they are called out full size on the plans.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-07-2008, 06:15 PM
WacoNut

ORIGINAL: RCBOATMANIAC

Anthony, If you want to check out a cool looking engine check this one out. http://cgi.ebay.com/HH50T-50cc-TWIN-...QQcmdZViewItem that is a nice looking engine. Dave
Dave,
I found what I believe is the same engine for a full $100 less, a 50cc twin gas engine for under $300 you just can't pass that up. It won't sound as good as a radial but you just can't beat the price. I will do a little searching and ask some gas guys if these engines are any good. Here is the link.
[link=http://unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDHOBBIES/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=5733]50cc Twin[/link]
Anthony
Old 01-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: CubNut

ORIGINAL: RCBOATMANIAC

Dave,
I found what I believe is the same engine for a full $100 less, a 50cc twin gas engine for under $300 you just can't pass that up. It won't sound as good as a radial but you just can't beat the price. I will do a little searching and ask some gas guys if these engines are any good. Here is the link.
[link=http://unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDHOBBIES/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=5733]50cc Twin[/link]
Anthony
Ummm, Anthony, and Dave,

What would you do with that extra 1.25" that will be hanging outside the cowl? The most narrow one yet is still 9.50" at the extreme width.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-07-2008, 07:15 PM
WacoNut

Remember I am building a 1/4 scale. I think it will fit inside the cowl but I will verify once I get my plans before considering placeing an order.
Anthony

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.