Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 08:32 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

Chris, WOW.

I have been talking to Ronj10 today, and he really wants a few of you guys who have cad equipment to work with him. How bout everyone with access to this equipment pm Ron, and you guys can divvy up the load. I will provide the real cut parts from my kit for you guys to do this with, that way the measurements will be more precise, than is a tracing.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 02-10-2007, 06:08 AM
Stickbuilder

Looks as if there will be a parallel thread starting on the cabin versions of WACO's Alphabet soup. You guys take a look. I am happy that we have achieved resolution here, and can get on with the process of Building the WACO. If I appeared to become a mother hen, I apologize. Let's all pull in the same direction of getting the parts available to all who want to build this old beauty.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 02-10-2007, 01:41 PM
skylarkmk1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tee Shirt Suggestion,

The Creve Couer Airport (also known as Dauster Flying Feild) in St. Louis, MO http://www.historicaircraftrestorationmuseum.org/ has Tee Shirts for Sale for about $15. They also have some children sizes in picture #1. Not sure how to order a specific adult size as there does not appear to by a size selection box.

A little info on the Creve Couer Airport and Museum. Many of the owners have individual hangers with various aircraft in them, from a 1936 J-3 Cub, L-4, Tri-Pacers, Monocoupes, Stearmans, UPFs, Pete-N-Paul (sp?), Yaks, a WACO F (in Texaco Colors) and more. The Museum has at least 2 large hangers with many, many Golden Age Aircraft inside, most of them in excellent condition, many of them flying. If you have never have seen the AN-2 up close, it is big. The museum also has many aircraft under restoration. The airport/museum is located just west of the City of St. Louis near Creve Couer Lake.

On my next trip over there (it's about 50 miles away), I will try to find out what WACOs are there in the museum and possibly contact some of the private owners and see if I can get photos of some of them. At this time of year, it is harder to get people out to the hangers and the best time is during the summer on weekeds. I'll let this forum know what aircraft I can find.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63585.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	617825   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39146.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	617826   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38327.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	617827  
Old 02-10-2007, 02:49 PM
Stickbuilder

That''s pretty neat,
but I'm not sure that we can get away with stealing [:-] OOps, make that borrowing The WACO Owner's Club logo. I'm waiting to see what Jay has in mind, and we can go from there.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 02-10-2007, 04:58 PM
Skinny Bob
My Feedback: (12)

Chris, what is your opinion of TurboCAD for 2D & 3D?
Old 02-10-2007, 06:49 PM
Stickbuilder

Good evening all,

I see that there is a new WACO Thread here in the Vintage and Antique forum. Y'all need to go over, and have a look. Let the Brother (WacoCabinaero) know what you think. I personally think it's neat that there is a resurgence of people caring about these old birds. Kind of gives one a warm, fuzzy feeling.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 02-10-2007, 06:52 PM
Stickbuilder

Actually, I was doing some research to see how many active WACO threads that there were here on RCU. Dang! There is a lot of them. Everything from .40 size up through 33% snf everything in between. Looks like the WACO is still a winner.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 02-10-2007, 10:37 PM
damifino

STICKBUILDER-but I'm not sure that we can get away with stealing [:-] OOps, make that borrowing The WACO Owner's Club logo. I'm waiting to see what Jay has in mind, and we can go from there.
I imagine we can incorporate the original WACO logo without any trouble. If any of you know where I can find it let me know. We should work up some artwork by the end of next week. To simplify ordering and payment I will set up something in the RCU marketplace or E-bay. I have not yet had time to educate myself on how RCU Marketplace works so I cannot answer any questions at this time. I do know that I will accept only PayPal or money orders for the shirts when they become available.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:21 PM
HarryJ
My Feedback: (98)

How about this one?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki17899.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	618232  
Old 02-11-2007, 12:04 AM
ChrisMH

ORIGINAL: Skinny Bob

Chris, what is your opinion of TurboCAD for 2D & 3D?
Well, I don't really have one as I've never used it. Many years ago, I used AutoCAD exclusively. Now I'm a SolidWorks user...it seems to fit the way I think quite a bit better than AutoCAD. I know TurboCAD is quite a bit cheaper, however, and I've heard that it's pretty good.

Chris

Old 02-11-2007, 07:50 AM
Skinny Bob

Maybe I can't think CAD yet. I have SolidWorks and AutoCAD and have ordered TurboCad. I am trying to decide which one to settle on. It took me a long time to get used to Corel Draw, thick skull[] I spent some time with SolidWorks last night and found it somewhat easer to use than AutoCAD. Maybe SolidWorks is the one. Looking forward to seeing more of your work on the Waco.

Regards
Old 02-11-2007, 08:13 AM
damifino

HARRYJ- That's the one. Do you know where I can find it on the web or did you scan it from something?
Old 02-11-2007, 03:43 PM
HarryJ

Jay,
I scanned this one from a decal that I have. You can enlarge it without too much distortion but when it gets to super-size it gets grainy.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:18 PM
old git

Hi All.

I found an engine for someone's model.

1/4 SCALE FU4 CORSAIR 9 CYLINDER RADIAL DUMMY ENGINE
Item number: 110088795336

On eBay with 14 hours left.

old git - - - - - - - -aka John L.

WACO Brotherhood No. 14.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:26 PM
Stickbuilder

John,

How ya been pal? We need to hear from you a little more often. Thanks for the link.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 02-11-2007, 08:40 PM
HarryJ

Bill,
I've been watching this dummy engine but it's 11" in diameter, little on the large side for 8" cowl.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:49 PM
ChrisMH

Bill (and all),

I'm having a slight delimma in converting your part scans to CAD files. There seems to be a bit of mismatch between the size of the tracings I've gotten from you and the measured size of the parts on the plans that HarryJ sent me. Now, I realize that paper expands and contracts so measurements may vary a little, but I've measured some known quantities (e.g., the size of the engine bearers, etc.) and am fairly certain that the plans are pretty close. A little variance doesn't matter, I realize, but sizes are off as much as 1/8" or a bit more in some places. I think what has happened is that some error has been introduced due to the scanning of the parts and my scaling of the parts to match your scale lines on those scans.

I'd like to make this as accurate as possible, and it would be nice if the CAD parts fairly closely match the plans that anyone building the model will be using.

I'm open to suggestions here. What I am currently considering is measuring on the plans some quantity for each part (e.g., height of formers, length of ribs, etc.) and scaling the part scans to match that figure.

Thoughts?

Chris
Old 02-12-2007, 06:05 PM
Skinny Bob

Chris, I think your measuring from the plans is the way to go. After you have all parts sized and converted into a group or plan sheet they can be sized to any span the builder wants.
Works for me.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:32 PM
Stickbuilder

How about if I send you a set of the actual tracing of the parts? Would that allow you to use a pantagraphic reproduction, or would it work for what ever system that you are using?

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 02-12-2007, 11:05 PM
damifino

ATTENTION Brothers: I, WACO Brother #25, on this 12th day of February 2007, have proceeded to make sawdust with full intentions of seeing to completion the construction of a beautiful 1/5 Scale WACO YMF-5 aircraft.

My plan is to build the tail group first, go on to the fuselage and then to the wings. Tonight I roughed out the sheeting for the horizontal and vertical stabilizers. On order from Sig is some 5/32" plywood and 5/32" balsa sheet. In the interest of saving weight some areas will have thinner material than called for on the PICA plans. STICKBUILDER's guidance is/has been much appreciated. Thanks for your input STICKBUILDER.

If you have an itch.....to build a WACO.....SCRATCH IT!
Old 02-13-2007, 05:30 AM
Stickbuilder

Awwwww, shucks...You Go Guy!!!! Don't forget to clean up your Forstner bits and work those parts over. The best way to lose weight is to remove some material (operative word is some) Go a little slow, and We can build ours at the same time. I need a little time to catch up with you. I'm going to do my tail group a little different from you, so we can both post pictures, and compare efforts. I''m still trying to decide if I want the rudder to have a counterbalance. Some WACO's have them, most do not. I guess I need to decide which full scale plane I want to replicate.

Jay, did you get a price or a guestimate for the Cowl in Carbon Fiber? Yahoo!!!!! let's build some WACO's !!!!!

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 02-13-2007, 06:30 AM
damifino

I'll try to get some idea about $ for the cowling project this week.

Where there's wood there's hope, and I hope to make holes in balsa.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:48 AM
yel914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damifino, Now I'm all for starting a new project and all, but what happened to the Sig Hog Bipe bash project? I have seen no evidence that you finished that one up!
Old 02-13-2007, 09:30 AM
ChrisMH

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

How about if I send you a set of the actual tracing of the parts? Would that allow you to use a pantagraphic reproduction, or would it work for what ever system that you are using?
Well, that certainly can't hurt. I'll likely still use the scans, but at least I could measure on the actual part to accurately scale the scans.

I'll email you my address.

Chris
Old 02-13-2007, 11:51 AM
Stickbuilder

Okay, that adds you to the list. I'm trying to find out how many sets I need to have done. I don't want to have to wear a slick path to the printers shop, and would like to do this once. I'm tempted to have a set done for each of the Brotherhood.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.