Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 12:20 PM
trlambsr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

Thought that I would pass on what happens when one is snake bit by a WACO. Beside the 33 and 40% WACO here is the trailer for the 40. Be careful because here is were a crazed WACO owner go's. Some here about what happens to Money !!!!!!!!!!!
TR
#69 WACO Brotherhood.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37444.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	687895   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je11159.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	687896  
Old 05-20-2007, 01:39 PM
Vandolay

ORIGINAL: damifino

I have tried to update my profile but apparently am doing something wrong. I have been in the hobbysince I was thirteen, thirty years now.
Thanks for your reply. I have promised myself not to get involved in these 'p*ssing contests' but this time felt the readership needed to know a little more about some of the participants. Don't take offense to my inquiry into your modeling experience. Thanks.
Your profile isn't complete but you want others to make full disclosure.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:01 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

HEY VANDOLEY >>> let it go, don't know what your problem is & I DON"T CARE!!!!!!!!

this is a nice place to talk WACO talk. so talk Waco ....

Capish?
Old 05-20-2007, 04:17 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry about the Scorpion (and Squalus). that's too close to home.

I'm using 1/8 inch piano wire, so no problem with strrength. I must not have gotten the wire hot enough when I soldered the end, it didn't wick in like it should have. I have a fix in order and it will spring load the tailwheel. For now, I'll keep the same servo (shared with rudder), but it's something I can change down the road. I'll post some pics when done, showing original setup as compared to new one. The ass end of the framework is different (go figure) on the ARF from the Pica kit, so what works on the kit isn't an option for me most times.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:28 PM
tomcraig

OK I give up. I have been trying to find out what the difference is in a YMF-3 and a YMF-5. I am fairly new to this forum and 1850 posts will take me forever. thanks
Old 05-20-2007, 07:53 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The YMF-3 has a smaller set of tailfeathers. The YMF-5 has a larger set of tailfeathers(actually the vertical stab/rudder). I'm surprised that you didn't ask about the difference between the YMF and the UMF (which most all kits actually are)

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 05-20-2007, 07:55 PM
Stickbuilder

Ken,

Even if I were using the same servo for the rudder and tailwheel, I would still consider using a spring drive (For what it's worth).

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 05-20-2007, 08:50 PM
khodges

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Ken,

Even if I were using the same servo for the rudder and tailwheel, I would still consider using a spring drive (For what it's worth).

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
I looked in a couple of catalogs (Sullivan and DuBro) at the LHS trying to find what is called a "servo saver", which is what I think you're describing. Correct me if I'm wrong; would you sketch what you're talking about?

What I'm thinking of goes on the servo end of the control rod, and the spring actuates when the servo travel is greater than the available movement in the control rod, and keeps the servo from stripping a gear or binding. It still gives positive control while in the limits of the control rod travel.

I shifted gears and am trying something along the lines John mentioned (or was it Jay?) about using the nose wheel mounts. I've come up with something that has a small spring that will compress about 1/2 inch.

Today, one of the local grass strips had their club day, with "rollers and sliders" and tater salad, slaw, etc. Wasn't as busy as in past years, but was an almost perfect day, just a bit breezy at times. I got to go up in a PA-18 for about 30 minutes. It is one of the Cub Crafters planes, this one was only three years old, has a 140 hp engine. That is Grandfather Mountain off the wingtip.

Name:	Zx70193.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	688323   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31936.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	688324   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10945.jpg
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	688325   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl25999.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	688326  
Old 05-20-2007, 09:43 PM
damifino

Here's the Tee info one more time. Sorry I have not updated the list yet, been really busy.

Your WACO TEE SHIRT Money Orders and Pay-Pal transactions have been coming in. If you haven't already, be sure to reserve your shirts by May 31!!

Here is the KICK OFF INFO one more time. PM me for mailing/Pay-Pal instructions. Thanks

The cost for 2 Tees, including shipping within the U.S., is to be $30.00 for S M L & XL. XXL and XXXL will be $35.00

The shipping, unfortunately, has driven the price a bit higher than I had hoped.

So, that's the deal guys. I sent a private message to each of you (I hope) with an address for your USPS Money Order payment and a Pay-Pal ID for those of you who wish to use that option. I wish to allow 3 weeks for you to send in your payment. I have tentatively scheduled the printing to be done the first week of June.

Please try to have the payments in by May 31, 2007. PLEASE include your mailing address, your RC Universe 'user name' and your shirt sizes. I have size info for all who requested shirts but it doesn't hurt to send it with your remittance.

KHODGES- Your ARFnot looks fantastic. That shot posted beside the black and white picture really says it all.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:58 PM
skylarkmk1

ken (khodges),

The varnished sticks you asked about under the center tank sections on many WACOs serve two purposes; The center stick is structural and is part of the wing joining system (don't ask me how just yet). The outer sticks are attached to the tank bay plywood floor and are to help keep the plywood from warping. I was able to briefly talk to the mechanic today, they (mechanic, owner and helpers) had just mounted the upper wings on a QCF, NC 12428 (it is pretty in red with black scallops, I'll post a picture when it is complete).That brings the total to 14 WACOs at CCA that are complete (or nearly complete) and in flying condition (at least 2 more still need major restoration).

tomcraig,

Check the Aerofiles website (found in the Plans, Kits and Documentation PDF on the supplimental site http://www.houseofmoy.com/waco/ ). In the history section, although brief, YMF-3 was introduced in 1934, had a Jacobs 225 hp engine, load capacity 960 lbs. Was redesignated in 1935 to YMF-5 (dash # "usually" indicates first year of production), had a Jacobs 245 hp engine, load capacity 890 lbs. Max speed (if I read the info correct) was 147(YMF-3) 145(YMF-5), cruise at 129 and land at 47 (both the -3 and -5). The design was revived in 1990 by Classic Aircraft Corp. as YMF-5 Super. (website on list)

As noted before, the vertical tail was made taller/larger and the trim level was improved. The "New" CAC YMF-5 Classic (thru ser/number xx39 was "mostly" based on the 1934/1935 design. The "Newer" YMF-5 Super started with ser/num xx40 which in it's current versions have over 300 changes/improvements. Some of the more notetable improvements to the Supers are better steel and construction in the airframe allowing it to be certified for +5/-3 g's, 6" longer fuselage (2" in front cockpit, 4" in rear), 3" wider fuselage (in cockpit area), full instrumentation/avionic packages, and some have been fitted with a fuel injected engine (smoother, more efficent and since all cyliders are operating at optimum air/fuel ration, more power). Over 100 of the "NEW" YMF-5 have been produced compared to 18 of the original (according to Aerofiles).
Old 05-21-2007, 06:51 AM
Stickbuilder

The servo saaver that you described is exactly what I'm talking about. Something like a quick connector goes on the servo arm, and no set screw is used. this allows the pushrod to move within the keeper. Two collars are used, and a spring goes between each collar and the quick connector. The spring actually drives the tailwheel, and the collars limit the movement of the springs. I will sketch it out tonight, and post it for you.

Skylark.... You are on the money as usual.

Bill, AMa 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 05-21-2007, 02:23 PM
khodges

ORIGINAL: skylarkmk1

I was able to briefly talk to the mechanic today, they (mechanic, owner and helpers)
I have another question for them............."Can I have a job?"

Jay--Have you said yet how much more we need to get you for the extra shipping?
Old 05-21-2007, 03:47 PM
skylarkmk1

Ken,

Below is the photo of the QCF (NC 12428) just after the wings were mounted. Front and rear "N" struts and additional flying wires still need to be added. Note the top cowl panel in front of the windshield open for access to the cabane wire mountings. This is the same aircraft that I photographed the earlier photos of the tail wheel looking down into the fuselage about a month or so ago (+/-) with the stabilizer removed.

The second photo is of the tank bay of the YKS wings, you can see the screws in the bottom to hold the stiffeners used to keep the plywood flat.

Made a mistake in my last post, forgot a UPF-7 in a private hanger. There are 14 Waco’s in the CCA/HARM collection in flying (or soon to be) condition plus at least one (the UPF-7) for a total of at least 15 Waco’s at CCA. Besides the great collection in HARM, CCA is a living museum in itself.

Name:	Mk25520.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	688894   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17169.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	688895  
Old 05-21-2007, 04:24 PM
Michaelj2k

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: khodges

On another note, today at our local airport (Hickory Regional) there was the official opening of the Sabre Society's museum. It has a loooong way to go to approach the likes of HARM or Udvar-Hazy, but for an out-of-the-way backwater of aviation, not too bad. The museum has about half dozen static warbird jets, including the very last F-14 to ever fly. There are some loaner birds that do fly, including a British Vampire, and an A-1E Skyraider. There were a few EAA members flew in and displayed their planes, from Super Cubs to ultralights. I think, though, the prettiest plane to grace the flightline at HKY in years was this SR-8 Stinson Reliant:

Excellent photos but I'd like to add a correction on the aircraft. It's a Warner 165 powered 1946 Fairchild 24W (F24W46).
Old 05-21-2007, 04:40 PM
khodges

ORIGINAL: Michaelj2k

On another note, today at our local airport (Hickory Regional) there was the official opening of the Sabre Society's museum. It has a loooong way to go to approach the likes of HARM or Udvar-Hazy, but for an out-of-the-way backwater of aviation, not too bad. The museum has about half dozen static warbird jets, including the very last F-14 to ever fly. There are some loaner birds that do fly, including a British Vampire, and an A-1E Skyraider. There were a few EAA members flew in and displayed their planes, from Super Cubs to ultralights. I think, though, the prettiest plane to grace the flightline at HKY in years was this SR-8 Stinson Reliant:

Excellent photos but I'd like to add a correction on the aircraft. It's a Warner 165 powered 1946 Fairchild 24W (F24W46).

I stand corrected. It's STILL the prettiest plane to grace the flightline. If I'd had my thinking cap on, I guess the Winged Pegasus and the big FA on the tail and rudder pedals should have been a giveaway. I focused on the notched wing center, humpback turtledeck and windscreen.

Name:	Cz80011.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	688928   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50562.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	688929  
Old 05-21-2007, 04:43 PM
Michaelj2k

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: khodges

I stand corrected. It was STILL the prettiest plane to grace the flightline.

And they fly like a Caddy!
Old 05-21-2007, 05:01 PM
khodges

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

The servo saaver that you described is exactly what I'm talking about. Something like a quick connector goes on the servo arm, and no set screw is used. this allows the pushrod to move within the keeper. Two collars are used, and a spring goes between each collar and the quick connector. The spring actually drives the tailwheel, and the collars limit the movement of the springs. I will sketch it out tonight, and post it for you.

Like this? I'll have it hooked up tonite. Also, here's what the old tailwheel mount versus the new one looks like. I included pics of what the tail framework looks like, and how the new setup fits. I can change the spring tension by simply changing the spring. This one works pretty good. I think with this and the other gizmo hooked up at the servo, the servo should be fairly well isolated.

Name:	Lj23572.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	688941   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65567.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	688942   Click image for larger version

Name:	By76516.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	688943   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17178.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	688944  
Old 05-21-2007, 05:12 PM
khodges

And they fly like a Caddy!
I'll bet it is a nice ride, although the "dash" is a bit more like a '54 Chevy. Kind of spartan, but the seats and upholstery was nice.

Here's a hot rod for you. This was at a grass strip I visited Sunday, he came zooming in. I couldn't figure it out; the tail didn't match the nose. It's a clipped wing Monocoupe 8-A. The owner said it cruised at 140 mph, and that it was for sale (mid 50K). It was re-engined about 5 years ago, it has a flat-four Lycoming in it, 200 hp. He said it was a lot less maintenance and a lot more reliable than the original radial, plus faster.

Name:	Ge96761.jpg
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	688951   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70248.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	688952   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sy63674.jpg
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	688953  
Old 05-21-2007, 06:19 PM
damifino

Have you said yet how much more we need to get you for the extra shipping?

I have not found out yet. The printing and shipping of WACO Brotherhood Tees will go as planned. If the difference in postage is significant I'll let everyone know. I got a little behind on other things while keeping up with the orders and payments so I decided to catch up this week. Again, everything is a go.

trlambsr- Where can I get the picture CD with all the WACO YMF shots?
Old 05-21-2007, 06:42 PM
flyguy888
My Feedback: (63)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't understand this. Why is vasek responding to vandelay when the post is for damifino. And Vandelay wasn't yelling. only asking a question. Even if it was an uncomfortable question, or interogative question, I'm not sure if this is the right response. Is this the proper resonse to people who do not think like we do?
Am I going to get yelled at for asking this question?
And in my opinion, I could be wrong, 25% of the posts have nothing to do with waco's.
That is not vandelays doing. He just started here.

ORIGINAL: vasek

HEY VANDOLEY >>> let it go, don't know what your problem is & I DON"T CARE!!!!!!!!

this is a nice place to talk WACO talk. so talk Waco ....

Capish?
Old 05-21-2007, 07:20 PM
damifino

I chose not to respond to Vandolay simply I've decided not to get involved any deeper. I did not ask for a 'full disclosure' and my profile is as compete as it needs to be. If Vandolay is serious about kit cutting he needs to go ahead and do it, floating business ideas on an open forum is an invitation to all sorts of responses. Sorry he did not get what he wanted here. We are not sitting around lamenting the unavailability of kits anyway. In regard to VASEK's response? Who knows, maybe he knows something we don't. Or maybe he is comfortable with the status quo of the thread.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:56 PM
khodges

One last pic of the servo setup, finished and in place. Works great, as does the sprung tailwheel. Italso got rid of the small binding problem I was having with the rudder centering itself.

Name:	Om32695.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	689069  
Old 05-21-2007, 09:27 PM
damifino

Looks good. I thought you were talking about a servo saver like that. Should work fine. Got my wing saddles fitted and glued in place tonight. I'll get some pics posted soon.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:29 PM
mrdhud
My Feedback: (48)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

khodges

I have been looking at your tail wheel set up and am impressed. Is this set up on the plans or is it something you or some one else has designed? I will be getting my plans from AMA soon and trying to do my home work. Thanks and please keep the pics coming they are priceless to me as this will be my first build from plans only.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:45 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: ronj10

I don't understand this. Why is vasek responding to vandelay when the post is for damifino. ...
Sorry to all if i have over-reacted BUT i feel it's a shame when people start arguing about something they could do in PM's

the reason being when one looks for "past data" on a valuable thread like this and there are too many "non Waco related posts"

That's all. I don't want to offend anyone or mind anyone's else's business but my own

Regarding the profile info > it struck a nerve because i tried to change my "status" (i am Canadian but live in Europe now) BUT could NOT find the proper RCU page to change it[:@]... still can't[X(] maybe the reason i overreacted

That's all folks, no harm done (i hope[8D])

Cheers to all (including Vandolay)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.