Community
Search
Notices
Great Planes, TopFlite, Duraplane, US Aircore Support from Bill Baxter for Great Planes distributed brands "Great Planes, TopFlite, DynaFlite, Duraplane & US Aircore"

GP ultimate 40 CG?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 06:42 AM
stevegauth30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP ultimate 40 CG?

I am just finishing with the Great Planes ultimate 40 kit. I tested the CG and found that it was extremely tail heavy.i had to add the weight of an estimated 1/2 to 3/4 of a pound. Can this be right?just for clarity, I built it exactly to manufacturer recommendations, down to the adhesivs. If they said to do it , I did. It also has an OS 46 LA, which I know is a little small. Any thoughts?
Old 08-15-2012, 07:49 AM
vpresley
My Feedback: (162)

Default RE: GP ultimate 40 CG?

It will be underpowered with the LA. You need a larger engine for this plane. The 2 wings cause extra drag when flying. A good ball bearing engine in the 46 to 60 range would be the best choice.

Vince
Old 08-15-2012, 07:57 AM
stevegauth30

Yeah, I'm realizing that and will try to get a bigger one. As to the CG issue, you have any thoughts? Is that a normal amount of weight to add to the nose?
Old 08-15-2012, 09:44 AM
vpresley
My Feedback: (162)

A bigger 4 stroke engine with a good pitts muffler will go a long way to solving your problem. My friend had one with a Saito 65, flew nice but not much vertical. He has put a Saito 82 in it now. Just waiting for him to finish and fly it. I would rather go bigger engine, for the weight you get more power.

Vince
Old 08-15-2012, 10:05 AM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The .46LA is around 9oz. That's what most BB .25's weigh. Find a nice .45 two stroke or .70 fourstoke that weighs around 15-17oz. A SuperTigre .45 or OS .70 would work. I have a YS .63 in mine.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:24 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We've deleted several posts because this is not a discussion forum, and non-Great Planes reps are not permitted to reply to questions. This it the Great Planes/Top Flite/Flyzone support forum.

As long as your model is within the kit's weight guidelines, then you add as much weight as necessary wherever needed to get the model to balance. The Great Planes Ultimate Biplane .40-size is intended to be at 6.5 pounds as the maximum. To balance the model, you just add weight where needed to get it to balance. If you go over the 6.5 pounds, then you'll have to figure out why the model is so overweight. You should not have to make the model overweight to get it to balance.

The model will fly fine with a .46LA engine, but it won't have verticals as tall as with a more powerful engine. Takeoffs will be somewhat longer and climb will be less steep. It all depends upon what performance you're seeking.