Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

Helimax 400 3d

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 11:02 PM
HAMMER JR.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Helimax 400 3d

sry caps off is that better,anybody flying the axe 400 yet , mine is just sitting preaty, cold here in kentucky, plus been flying the axe cpv3,man you cant beat this chopter for what i paid on towers scratch and dent 115.00 after discounts
Old 12-21-2008, 01:11 PM
hobby_man
My Feedback: (8)

caps lock on means your YELLING,,,are you yelling at us??

LOL
Old 12-28-2008, 06:33 PM
cw4rotorhead

Has anyone flown the Axe 400 yet? Trying to decide between blade 400 or this one. Would like to hear from someone that has flown it before final decision. Thanks in advance...
Old 12-28-2008, 10:05 PM
98 c-5

Ok, I can say it's better than the Blade 400. I got both.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:27 PM
nscradar

ORIGINAL: 98 c-5

Ok, I can say it's better than the Blade 400. I got both.

Please do tell, what is it that makes the Axe 400 better.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:00 PM
HAMMER JR.

the axe 400 looks alot like the t-rex 450,bro test hoped it and this thing will fly circles around the blade,grt the axe 400 forsure much better
Old 12-28-2008, 11:07 PM
HAMMER JR.

i have also got the axe cpv3,got it from tower hobbies scratch n dent sale for 105.00 and nothing wrong with it so i will be flying it for a bit and then try the 400, im new to this so have to go slow started with a blade cx and blade mcx,but helimax has the blade bet with the cpv3 and the new axe 400
Old 12-28-2008, 11:15 PM
nscradar

ORIGINAL: HAMMER JR.

the axe 400 looks alot like the t-rex 450,bro test hoped it and this thing will fly circles around the blade,grt the axe 400 forsure much better
The axe 400 looks like an ACP on steroids, nothing like a Trex 450 at all, or atleast the V2 SE version. I would really like to know how the Axe 400 "flys better" than the B400, not just a hop or hover. Or are there any other more redeeming features to the axe that are better than the B400.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:01 AM
SAL98
My Feedback: (6)

[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9osGnkrgb8&feature=channel_page[/link][link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLIk2Mj8dsw&feature=channel_page[/link]

Well for all you guys wondering about this new bird, I just recently put up a vid on youtube showing my first inpressions of this heli. I am happy to say that I am very pleased with my purchase. I new what I was getting into when I bought the heli, but the flight characteristics are far far better than what I had expected. In my fisrt vid I spoke on the fact I had issues with the HM 4000 gyro, well helimax did send me out another one wich had the exact same issue. I concluded that maybe it was'nt the gyro but something else. I finally figured it out and know the tail holds better than I could have imagined. Semi fast backwards flight did'nt blow out the tail and forward and reverse flips only need a touch of rudder to keep straight.

I did have a fellow flyer shot some video today but he was'nt the best camera guy so you really coul'nt follow the heli in flight. He did try though and I thank him for that. I will try again soon as long as the weather holds up.

As far as the way she flys? Very smooth and stable. Like I stated in my vid this is just a trex xl ccpm knockoff with upgraded servo linkage locations for a more direct and slope free setup. I actually went to the hobby store today (Willis Hobbies in Mineola) and flew the new G4.5 sim with the axe 400 3D installed, wow she flew just like st like mine. Also this is my first real heli after years of flying the sims and I am really impressed how comfortable I have already become with this bird in just a few days of flying, it also helps being around other heli pilots that fly so well, Once I figured out the gyro issue and took the time to go over the entire heli and make sure everything was tight and had locktight were ever it was needed. I was rewarded with a smooth vibration free heli.

I must note that like I said in the beginning of the post, I new what I was getting into before I purchase it, I new that there would probably be some issues that I would have to deal with for that low of a price ( I paid 254.00 dollars shipped from towerhobbies using coupons and such, plus I used there 3 pay plan wich brought the prce to 85.00 dollars a month for 2 months) but I had worked on a friends trex 450xl previously so I had pretty good knowledge of how to setup properly and how to trim corectly for smooth controled flight.
Also I must state that Helimax could have done a much better job in providing the consumer with a more detailed an informative manual. Th manual has no info at all on the gyro and its setup procedures. They also do not go into any detail abouth the ESC. I accidentaly plugged in th battery with the throttle in the full up position and the esc went into programming mode. Well the manual dosent speak about the ESC at all so I would'nt know how to change settings even if I wanted to. The esc does not come programmed with a soft start and I would like to be able to use this feature if it is available. I am going to give Heli-Max a call tommorrow and inquire about this.

[/img][/img]
Old 12-29-2008, 04:58 AM
cw4rotorhead

Thank you SAL98. Very informative. Would you mind posting how and what you did to set the Axe 400 up for us virgin noobs? This will be my first heli when I order it on the 30th and since I live in Bouquete, Panama I do not have access to other experienced R/Cers other than here at this site. Thank you again for your post.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:08 AM
cw4rotorhead

Also what was the gyro problem and how did you solve it?

Details please????
Old 12-29-2008, 08:46 AM
SAL98

Thank's, I will be posting a few vids on youtube of my setup, what i did to get the gyro working correctly and some flying videos of the heli as well. I just have to find someone to stand in the cold with me and shoot it.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:52 AM
cw4rotorhead

SAL98 just watched your videos - they are great! Thanks for making them so informative. Look forward to more.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:25 AM
SAL98

Just came back from flying today and did a little more dialing in. Also tried out some new blades (Alighn325 pros in black) and they really help smooth out an already smooth bird. Also know when shooting autos the headspeed dose'nt drop off so drasticaly when adding collective.

When i purchased this heli i wanted something that i could practice on and that flew realitivly well for something this size. I feel like i already own a .50 size nitro, and when i finally do get one i will have all the basics covered and will be able to progress to more technical type of maneuvers being that the larger birds are much easier to see and fly.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:57 PM
electron
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for covering this Heli... I just got a Helimax Axe 400 3D R&R for Xmas.... I have a DX7 radio does anyone have any idea on what the intial settings are on a DX7 TX with this heli. I contacted Helimax and they stated that don't have any information on the DX7 TX...

Thanks Electron
Old 12-30-2008, 07:54 PM
douglas4

ORIGINAL: SAL98

Thank's, I will be posting a few vids on youtube of my setup, what i did to get the gyro working correctly and some flying videos of the heli as well. I just have to find someone to stand in the cold with me and shoot it.
Nice videos. Finally get to see this heli in action. Umm did you notice though, the bad tail pitch slider on the tail...? Looks kinda weak...? I wonder if the eflite blade400 slider would work on it...? what ya think...? Also if one were to use the DX6i tx and rx (which I have) any hint or esitmated settings you can post...?
Old 12-31-2008, 12:34 AM
SAL98

The pitch slider is actually the same as the one on the T-REX XL, and it does the job just fine. The only differece is that it will not slide from end to end but this is also ok because if it could reach the left end of the shaft you would have over 20 degrees of pitch. As it is the tail will spin faster than you would ever need at max throw.

When I reach home tomorrow I will post my radio settings, I also wanted to post a vid of the way I have my radio setup to get the gyro working properly. I ran into a problem were the gyro would somehow always return to max endpoint when i switched from rate mode (which I had trimmed center and placed the servo arm on 90 degrees from the servo body) back to HH mode. I had to add something like 70% subtrim on channel 4 to keep the gyro from drifting either to the left or right when in HH mode. Once this was done the tail finally held in HH mode like it was suppose to. Also this effect happened on 2 seperate HM 400 gyros and using two seperate radio's (JR X9303 and Futaba 6ch Fasst).
Old 01-01-2009, 12:53 AM
electron

Sal98,
I am installing my RX now and was looking at your video and was wondering why you installed the RX in the front. Did you use some servo extensions as in mine it looks like it would take some 6" servo extensions to install the RX in the front. Can't wait to give this Heli a spin, I am a novice heli pilot I have a Blade CP and have been doing basic flight (Hovering, figure 8's and Forward Flight) for last six months so this should be interesting... Main issue is going to be the radio setup as with the Blade CP it had it's own TX so I have never had to program a heli... I am a 20+ year airplane pilot though, so at least I understand rates and the radio so it's just the heli part I need some information on.

Electron
Old 01-01-2009, 09:03 AM
SAL98

Did'nt get a chance to make the video of my setup yet because of all the hoopla this week, but basicaly if you can do all those things with a cp then you will be very happy with the ease of flight with this size and type of heli.

Also i think your looking at the satelight receiver that I mounted on top of the esc, the main receiver is in the stock location, and if you didnt check out Finless videoes yet i highly recommend them for learning all aspects of rc helis.

[link]http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=11373[/link]
Old 01-02-2009, 11:52 AM
SAL98

Posted new video

[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5B4iKRpCEU[/link]
Old 01-02-2009, 02:23 PM
Ufoman51

Thank you very much sal for your informations ! I'm from Switzerland (so please excuse my english ! I hope you'll understand...)

I've recently purchased an axe 400 (RTF). I've difficulty setting the gyro (hm 4000). Either the heli is drifting (low gain) or the tail oscillate...(high gain)

It's my first heli... What did you do to set the gyro correctly ??

My last setup is 39% gain. The axe is drifting so I apply slight left rudder to correct. I've tried to adjust the trim but by doing so the gyro every time shut off...

Do you have an idea why ??

Again thank you very much !!
Old 01-02-2009, 05:06 PM
electron

Great Video... Thank you and really great flying BTW ! I am really hyped to get mine up and flying now.. I spent at least 6 hours last night trying to get the transmitter setup and there is still something wrong with my settings Urrrrrrrr... I cannot get the swash to act correctly.. On throttle/collective all three servos seem to be working correctly and the rudder seems to be fine but not sure about the gyro yet will have to spin it up for that...

But on the left/right and forward cyclic all seem backwards as I move the stick up and down and the swash moves left and right and then if you give the radio a left and right on the stick gives you this weird 25 degree tilt left and right.. I have moved the servo channels all around on the TX a dozen times and I still can't get it to move the swash correctly...

Hopefully someone on here can help me out with what is going on.. Here is what I have currently setup on both the RX and TX...

On the RX
Aileron CCPM on Channel 2
Elevator CCPM on Channel 3
Tail Rotor on Channel 4
Gyro Gain on Channel 5
Collective CCPM on Channel 6
Throttle on Channel 1

Transmitter Setup

Swash plate type
3 servo's 120 degree

D/R & EXP
Aile

Pos-0
EXP +20
D/R 100%

Pos-1
EXP +15
D/R 80%

Elev

Pos-0
EXP +20
D/R 100%

Pos-1
EXP +15
D/R 80%

Rudd

Pos-0
EXP +35
D/R 100%

Pos-1
EXP +25
D/R 70%

Servo Reversing
Channel
1 Norm
2 Norm
3 Rev
4 Norm
5 Norm
6 Rev

Travel Adjustment
Rudd
L 90%
R 90%

Swash plate mixing
Aile +65
Elev +65
Pit +80

Throttle Hold
Hold SW 0.0%

Throttle Curves

Norm 3 Curves 0.0-50%-100%
ST-1 3 Curves 100%-85%-100%
ST-2 3 Curves 100%-100%-100%

Pitch Curves

Norm 3 Curves 35%-50%-100%
ST-1 3 Curves 0.0%-50%-100%
ST-2 3 Curves 0.0%-50%-100%
Hold 25%-50%-100%

Gyro Sensitivity
Auto
Rate
0 70%
1 70%

Timer
7 minutes

Any help would truly be appreciated..

Electron
Old 01-02-2009, 05:31 PM
johrich

Sal98,

Your last video was great, the Axe 400 seems to fly well, and I have been thinking about getting the RxR version myself. I am curious as to what you exactly you did to lock the gyro in so well. I have a Thunder Tiger Mini Titan, which, when I put it together, I used a GY401 which held the tail really well, until one day, it died. I bought the HM 4000 gyro to replace it and though it was OK, it still tended to drift a bit, and I never really got the locked in feel I had with the GY401. As it turned out, my GY 401 was in warranty, and I sent it back to Futaba, who did replace it. I put the GY401 back on the mini-titan, and my locked in feel is back again. You obviously have been flying awhile, so I wondered if you had any comments about how you adjusted the HM-4000 and how you think it compares to something like a GY401, (which is about twice as expensive as the HM 4000).

Your comments about Helimax are interesting. I also have an AXE CP-L, which I have modified with separates, a Bell Hiller head, a Spektrum receiver and a GY 240, and with all of those mods, I am really happy with the way it flys. I also bought sometime ago, a Helimax Roto Fly, which I am not happy with and wish I hadn't bought it.

Thanks,

Johrich
Old 01-03-2009, 02:35 AM
SAL98

Electron you should try 2 things, first go to the swash menu and try changing the elevator setting to a negative number (-65). This should get your swash working correctly.

Also I'm assuming your running a DX7 because you using the Gyro menu. If your using the X9303 like me, you cannot use this menu unless your running a 7 channel reciever.
I am stuck having to use endpoints to adjust my gyro gain.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:04 AM
SAL98

To be truthful I realize know that my helis gyro isnt working properly as it should. The only way to explain it is to post a video of what the gyro is actually doing and what i had to do to get it to work. I thought the first gyro that came with the heli was acting the same way but just tonight I rechecked it and found that it is truly bad and nothing could have been done to repair it besides swapping it out. So know Im a little upset that this is the 2nd HM 4000 gyro with an issue. I called helimax again to explaine the problem and the said they would check it out on there end, but they may not be able to get back to me today.
I still feel the RXR version I purchase was worth the money I paid and if I have to eventually upgrade to another gyro then so be it, but I would like to have the stock equipment working properly so that upgrading would only be something I would consider because of my skill level not necessity.

Also I have had a few mishaps and have changed a few things to trex equipment.

First was the blade grips, the feathering shaft is exactly the same size so I just picked up a full blade set wich comes with blade grips; bearings and spacers.

I snapped one of the stock grips and didn't want to order from tower and wait for another pair to come in the mail.e

I also hit the tail blades a few times and needed new ones. The stock tail grips are a little tightt in fit for the T-Rex blades but the Blade 400 Tail blades are Identical and fit just right.

I also replaced the tail rotor shaft with a metal one that I had from my friends old 450xl. And I eventually upgraded the tail blade grips to the metal T-Rex 450 V2 grips when I snapped the old ones in and unintentional auto, caused by flying with thick gloves on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.