Community
Search
Notices
Hirobo Support Forum Greg Gomes of MRC/Hirobo is your host. Ask all your Hirobo questions here!

What is it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 10:24 AM
congoharrison

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is it?

I just aquired this heli, but despite all my searching so far, I have no idea what model this is or where I can find a manual, parts diagram etc.

The flybar is on top, the tailrotor is on the wrong side, etc.

I'd appreciate any info with a view to getting it airworthy.

Engine runs, some missing bolts, probably worn linkages and at least one broken linkage, servos fitted, old gyro, two or three makeshift repairs to airframe and skids.

Should I try to fix it or would I be better off starting with a new airframe on a smaller heli? My budget is very limited, but I have time to work on it.

I'm flying a small Twister CP Gold atm. Just doing circuits and wouldn't mind a big nitro to mess with once and a while, even wondering if an electric conversion is a good thing or not
because I'm not set up for nitro except for a drum of old fuel :P

[img]mysteryhirobo.jpg[/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88677.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	1114337  
Old 01-19-2009, 11:18 AM
gomesgre

Default RE: What is it?

Looks like an original Hirobo Shuttel. You can get parts for it at Heliproz or www.modelrectifier.com

I am Greg, the Hirobo product manager.
You can call me anytime at work.
732 225 2100 ex 214
Old 01-19-2009, 08:47 PM
glydrjocky

Here is a video link showing a Shuttle Z in "I cant see it" sky blue.....

I'm guessing because it was 1987 the thing was probably running an OS .28

Looks like it flew alright, pretty standard stability for a Shuttle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6m_mps1PQU

Tony

Old 01-19-2009, 11:07 PM
congoharrison

Thanks Greg,
The problem I have is that I believe I need a definite model number, also a schematic with numbered parts list, preferably a manual, etc.
No doubt I'll be sourcing parts from overseas (I'm in Australia), so I don't want to order parts that won't fit.

Thankyou too Tony,
The heli in that video link does look the same, so you think it's a shuttle Z ? (I'm a glider jockey also, though not current)

I've downloaded some PDF parts lists and diagrams that show Z/ZX/ZXX parts but so far I have nothing that shows my heli in the diagrams. As stated before, this one has a top flybar and the tailrotor is on the opposite side and uses a different setup and parts.

I think I can just convert to the new rotor head and tail rotor system, but that would probably be too expensive for me...... locally, I have seen the rotor shaft assembly alone (metal) selling for $500 (in metal) so that would be totally impossible for me to upgrade that route.

I need a definite ID on this heli, maybe someone can point me in the right direction with a link to some data/diagrams ?

Old 01-20-2009, 12:45 AM
glydrjocky

Its always good to run into another full scale glider pilot among us.

This is my 2cents

That Shuttle Z could probably fly as is and you could get parts here and there but there are some differences between your bird and the newest Shuttle Plus or Plus 2.

You'll see the differences in the exploded views.

I believe the tail boom is shorter on the Z, therefore the belt is shorter as well. If you upgrade you'll need the boom, belt and of course the pushrod for tail might need to be longer as well. Not to scare you but as I said in the past, its the leg bones connected to the hip bone and on down the line.

I have a ZX and Shuttle Plus, been through alot of rebuilds and parts searches that I may have covered on a few older threads on this sight.

The best motor for the older Shuttles without top start is to find a new in box or used pull start .32 . That eliminates the belt start. Upgrading to the top start gets expensive fast.

If its got the original fuel system you'll have to go through it, get a new tank if the parts are bad. You really need a header tank to get an extra 2oz of fuel for better flight times.

I'm sure if your careful you could get it flying in as is condition but the first crash will mean a parts search or upgrade to the new stuff.

Its a great learning tool to get into the hobby. My ZX taught me alot.

Tony
Old 01-20-2009, 06:15 AM
congoharrison

Thanks Tony,

Well, I had a knowledgable heli friend come around and inspect it today, he thinks it'll fly once I replace a broken linkage, but he was concerned there was no Radius Arm Stay fitted to this model (I think that's what it is called, the guide for the rear of the swashplate). I guess all helis need one? Or does this model omit it in the design? There is just a ball there and no peg to slot into the (missing?) guide....

I think I'll have a few steady hovers and circuits before I crash it.... (famous last words) .... and need to order more parts.

Also, it looks like this model has no tail rotor in auto-rotation due to the design, is this correct, and if so that means a hasty landing with no yaw control ?

Still not sure what it is?
Old 01-20-2009, 01:32 PM
gomesgre

Ok, it is deff an original Shuttle. We don’t have a manual for it but we do have parts. There have been many other shuttles after this helicopter and many if not most of the parts are interchangeable. To change one part that is interchangeable you might have to change other parts too.

Call me at MRC if you need my help.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:15 PM
congoharrison

Ah, thankyou Greg.

I'll no doubt be taking you up on that offer in the near future.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:16 PM
glydrjocky

Racing Devil Hobbies!

I have used the link below and it has SAVED ME SUCH HEART ACHE, I just cant tell you!

All of the Shuttle Plus parts and parts diagrams are listed! You click on the PDF files, there are 5 total and then save to your computer, then print some hard copies to have around. This way at a glance you can see what is not the same!

I used this to replace my ZX style upper mixing arms and links with the newest style.

Here is the link......

http://www.racingdevil.com/product.php?category_id=143
Old 01-21-2009, 11:19 PM
glydrjocky

As far as the swash plate anti rotation guide goes. Its a nice feature but truthfully I have been hammering on that poor ZX for some time now and it seems to fly just fine. I found that getting rid of any slop or worn parts did wonders for the stablitiy more than anything else.

I have a Shuttle Z on the way from a friend who wanted to fly it but bought a raptor instead. The Z/ZX could be set up with either 4 or 5 servos per the manual. You could have seperate throttle and collective servos or you could combine the linkages on one servo wheel by drilling where the manual stated. Then it just added positive collective and increased throttle for flying. Guess that way you could fly it on a simple 4 channel radio but I'm sure acro performance suffered as there would be no Idle up capability. The one I have coming is set up with 4 servos!

The frames of the Z ZX and maybe the ZXX captured the main bearings in the frame. Split the frame to replace the bearings BUT the Shuttle Plus uses open bearing sockets in the frame so that you can slip them in and out with just loosening the screws. The Plus uses the same size bearings for the main shaft and the clutch. Meaning the outside diameter is larger than the Z/ZX clutch bearing. So if you buy a new Shuttle plus frame for your Z or Zx you need to buy the bearing that has the large outside dia. for the frame but the small inside dia for the older metal clutch bells that dont have top start. Lots of little things like this. Nice part is if you use the Plus clutch and bearings you can go for topstart and the antirotation guide!

Larger gas tanks! The Plus comes with a 250cc gas tank which is larger. Youll find that the Z/ZX maybe ZXX tanks are somewhat smaller. Can you upgrade to the larger tank you ask? well sorta. The larger taller tank pushes the throttle/collective servo tray upward for room and the Plus frame has four mount holes for both the lower Z tanks and the taller tank to mount the servo tray on (chose high or low mount). The forward servo tray support also has upper and lower holes. Best bet is to add the 2 oz header tank to the Z's small tank and be happy the OS engines dont drink gas (OS .37 excluded)

The heads are night and day which I'm sure you know. I'm told they raised the head above the flybar so that the boom strikes wouldnt be so easy to accomplish. But hey, I did it on one of my first outings with the ZX, just find my first thread called "Shuttle Distress" I was heart broken but worlds smarter now for all the trouble I went through!!!!!

There are a couple styles of collective linkages for Shuttles. The Z has this white set of plastic links that look like they were stollen from that kids game Operation. The newer ZX linkages are much simpler and straight forward.

The Z frame is very flat and bulky looking, It always seemed to me that the ZX and later frames where relieved and lighter looking with reinforced edges. From a stand point of weight I'm not sure if it really is lighter.

The Z tail rotor of course is totally different and judging by how quickly the bearings wear and the pulley's bend I'd change that part out first thing. The newer tails are much better designed with open housings BUT there are three versions of the newest tails. The ZX/ZXX has one style pitch lever much like Shannons heli and the Shuttle plus has a dual pin yoke style. Both seem to work well. Then there is the Shuttle PLUS 2 ARF which has what looks like a Freya/Sceadu style tail rotor housing. I have never seen the parts break down for that one yet but its the Shuttle they still sell on MRC.

Just a few things that I notice on this little journey of mine, I'm sure there are tons more things I missed but its a start.

Tony
Old 01-22-2009, 01:54 AM
congoharrison

Thanks Tony,

I've got 3 other projects to finish off, then I'll start the re-build in earnest - with pictures!

Thanks for the pdf links, I had those, but the quality was inferior and blurred on my copies.

I'll take your advice and upgrade the tail system. I'm also trying to obtain a newer shuttle advertised locally,
it's still an older shuttle design, but it looks ok for parts. If I can buy that, I'll be way in front methinks.