RCU Forums - View Single Post - What is it?
Thread: What is it?
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2009, 11:19 PM
glydrjocky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What is it?

As far as the swash plate anti rotation guide goes. Its a nice feature but truthfully I have been hammering on that poor ZX for some time now and it seems to fly just fine. I found that getting rid of any slop or worn parts did wonders for the stablitiy more than anything else.

I have a Shuttle Z on the way from a friend who wanted to fly it but bought a raptor instead. The Z/ZX could be set up with either 4 or 5 servos per the manual. You could have seperate throttle and collective servos or you could combine the linkages on one servo wheel by drilling where the manual stated. Then it just added positive collective and increased throttle for flying. Guess that way you could fly it on a simple 4 channel radio but I'm sure acro performance suffered as there would be no Idle up capability. The one I have coming is set up with 4 servos!

The frames of the Z ZX and maybe the ZXX captured the main bearings in the frame. Split the frame to replace the bearings BUT the Shuttle Plus uses open bearing sockets in the frame so that you can slip them in and out with just loosening the screws. The Plus uses the same size bearings for the main shaft and the clutch. Meaning the outside diameter is larger than the Z/ZX clutch bearing. So if you buy a new Shuttle plus frame for your Z or Zx you need to buy the bearing that has the large outside dia. for the frame but the small inside dia for the older metal clutch bells that dont have top start. Lots of little things like this. Nice part is if you use the Plus clutch and bearings you can go for topstart and the antirotation guide!

Larger gas tanks! The Plus comes with a 250cc gas tank which is larger. Youll find that the Z/ZX maybe ZXX tanks are somewhat smaller. Can you upgrade to the larger tank you ask? well sorta. The larger taller tank pushes the throttle/collective servo tray upward for room and the Plus frame has four mount holes for both the lower Z tanks and the taller tank to mount the servo tray on (chose high or low mount). The forward servo tray support also has upper and lower holes. Best bet is to add the 2 oz header tank to the Z's small tank and be happy the OS engines dont drink gas (OS .37 excluded)

The heads are night and day which I'm sure you know. I'm told they raised the head above the flybar so that the boom strikes wouldnt be so easy to accomplish. But hey, I did it on one of my first outings with the ZX, just find my first thread called "Shuttle Distress" I was heart broken but worlds smarter now for all the trouble I went through!!!!!

There are a couple styles of collective linkages for Shuttles. The Z has this white set of plastic links that look like they were stollen from that kids game Operation. The newer ZX linkages are much simpler and straight forward.

The Z frame is very flat and bulky looking, It always seemed to me that the ZX and later frames where relieved and lighter looking with reinforced edges. From a stand point of weight I'm not sure if it really is lighter.

The Z tail rotor of course is totally different and judging by how quickly the bearings wear and the pulley's bend I'd change that part out first thing. The newer tails are much better designed with open housings BUT there are three versions of the newest tails. The ZX/ZXX has one style pitch lever much like Shannons heli and the Shuttle plus has a dual pin yoke style. Both seem to work well. Then there is the Shuttle PLUS 2 ARF which has what looks like a Freya/Sceadu style tail rotor housing. I have never seen the parts break down for that one yet but its the Shuttle they still sell on MRC.

Just a few things that I notice on this little journey of mine, I'm sure there are tons more things I missed but its a start.

Tony