Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

problems with clutch bell not spinning freely

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

problems with clutch bell not spinning freely

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 08:52 AM
Sparkyf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems with clutch bell not spinning freely

I have a picco .28, and just rebuilt about everything on my truck. I have ran it a few times, and its a monster, but after around 5 minutes, it seems to start to labor, so I shut it down and my clutchbell when I go to spin it by had has a ton of drag. I have re-set it a few different times, and I always use red locktite on the screw, tighten it all the way up, and it spins nice and free. Use a piece of paper to set my gear mesh, and always make sure the engine is locked down tight so the mesh wont change. No signs of wear on the gears, just the damn clutchbell tightens up??? Any thoughts on what this could be? My truck would be flawless if not for this bump in the road. When I spin my slipper clutch, it doesnt spin exatly true. There is a slight variance...so I actually purchased a complete new tranny, because I thought the shaft may be slightly bent, but nope, still has a very slight wobble to it. New everything...slipper, all of it!
Thanks for the input. Hey, anybody heard from Glen???
Old 01-26-2011, 09:41 AM
SLAYERDUDE

Default RE: problems with clutch bell not spinning freely

I'd take a shim out of the clutch, most likely it warms up, expands, and tightens down on the brg's.

On the wobbly spur - take the steel slipper plate and file the high spots off it on both sides, it's just a crappy piece of stamped steel..
Hitting the pot metal adapter isn't a bad idea either.
Did that to mine and the spur's never run more true.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:25 PM
TripleSix
My Feedback: (5)

I had an issue with my spur not spinning true also. Turned out that the little pin behind the slipper was bent, probably from tightening too much. Had an issue with my clutch bell also. I had a three shoe clutch and one spring was broke. I was also running aluminum shoes and over time they deleloped a slight bur on the edges which rubbed the clutch bell. Little sanding to remove the bur and all was well.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:34 PM
Sparkyf

All right then...I'll give all these a look and see what I come up with. Makes sense though about the heat and expanding and getting tight on the bearings. Thanks guys.
[8D]