Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

savage x trying to start

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 02:28 PM
pcolache
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default savage x trying to start

hi all,
i have my nephews hpi savage x. im trying to get it running for him. i believe its been sitting for about 2 years. my question has to do with starting it. it has the roto start. im not familiar with this. it seems like the starter isntworking the piston enough to get it started. also, sometimes it doesnt even cycle the piston. im wondering if this a problem with the one way bearing. i cleaned it, re installed it, but im getting the same result. idk if these things go bad often, or is there something else im missing. glow plug and all is good. any help will be appreciated. thanks
phil
Old 02-24-2011, 03:06 PM
cswtornado

Default RE: savage x trying to start

Is the rotostarter spinning but the engine isn't cranking? Or is the roto not spinning at all?
If it's not spinning at all, there could be a couple things. First, charge the 6.0V battery. Then, unflood the engine. Then if it still doesn't work slot the shaft into a high speed drill and then we'll see what's broken. If it still doesn't work a disassembely is in the works.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:06 PM
saucySavy
My Feedback: (2)

well as for the roto-start system not having enough power to cycle the motor fast enough, the only fix for that is to make sure it is fully charged.
As for the OOB, it could be slipping, or it could also be the small spring inside the crankshaft, which pushes a small pin on the starter plate to start the motor. if this spring is broken,the pin will not catch.it had this happen on my firestorm once before. Im not sure of the correct terms for these parts...
try to be sure the OOB is working, and installed the right way. if not, it sounds like its probably the little spring, which is a pain to fix.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:48 PM
pcolache
My Feedback: (1)

thanks. im gona try the drill 1st. the roto start has plenty of power. it is slipping sometimes when i crank it. i can see the flywheel turning sometimes then other times it isnt. thats what im trying to relay to you guys.

**** thats def the problem. the flywheel didnt spin at all. so im guessing it could be the OOB. what do ya think?
Old 02-24-2011, 06:02 PM
saucySavy
My Feedback: (2)

ok, so basically it is the OOB or the spring in the crank. If you need pics/ better explanation of what im talking about, ill post some for you.

a good way to test the one way bearing is to take the engine out of the truck, hold the flywheen with one hand, and try and spin the OOW with the other. if it holds firm and doesnt slip, its good.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:27 PM
RazurBlackz

Take out glowplug flush with tri-flow really, really good turning by hand, may take a while. The Turnby hand until smoothwith nito "with out" glow plug. Turn with roto ifs it fast and smooth with out glow plug put in fresh nitro occasionly. Blow everything out with compressed air with spinning engine, no glow plug. Put in new medium range glow and heat engine up really hot with hair dryer,really good and hot, she should fire up.Let her idle for a while.Make sure you are useing a high quality glow plug ignighter, no cheapo's. Also, makesure nitro is brandnew, no old stuff. Try Byrons gen2 20%.She should fire up like a banshee. Engine and carb probably just glazed and gummed up with old fuel mix. good luck.
RB
Old 02-28-2011, 05:30 PM
richkathy
My Feedback: (-1)

change the one way bearing they go all the time they get oil on them u can clean them but sometimes it dont work if it is a hpi k4.6 motor put a axial 28 one way in it they are the same but the axial bearing is better i have done that
Old 03-01-2011, 12:41 PM
BudBud

I am not sure about anything on an Axial being better than the K4.6, except the green color. Remove your one way and wash it with WD 40. A common problem with setting engines is the glow plug deteriorates with the gummy fuel that is left on them. You will also want to make sure you are getting fuel flow. Sometimes they get a gummy oil plug in the high speed needle seat. Easy to fix, frustrating to find. Glen