Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Any possibility of wheelie?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 09:04 PM
SS_Mania

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any possibility of wheelie?

I got stock 2shoe clutches on my SS and suspension is in good condition but never seen it do wheelie some say they can do wheelies with stock every thing but I never seen my truck do it. is it becasue I tuned engine wrong? some times my truck shuts off when I give full throttle after hard turn. Whats you guys needle stting for S-25 engine?
Old 12-23-2004, 09:12 PM
DarkSavageX

Default RE: Any possibility of wheelie?

did you breakin?
Old 12-23-2004, 09:21 PM
SS_Mania

I went through 1 and half gallon
Old 12-23-2004, 09:55 PM
DarkSavageX

mmm. try setting the idel higher. if that dont work go lower.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:02 PM
frank88

try putting a 13t clutch bell with a 52t spur gear. you won't be able to keep the wheels down!
Old 12-23-2004, 11:58 PM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: SS_Mania

I got stock 2shoe clutches on my SS and suspension is in good condition but never seen it do wheelie some say they can do wheelies with stock every thing but I never seen my truck do it. is it becasue I tuned engine wrong? some times my truck shuts off when I give full throttle after hard turn. Whats you guys needle stting for S-25 engine?
POSTER GO HERE: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=2389010

Here is video proof that an SS can wheelie all day with 15/49 gearing and instructions for tuning to make yours do the same. If you have to go lower (in gearing) you need to tune the truck up. If your SS has a stock clutch it will begin fading towards the end of a tank.

The truck in this video is running 20% O'Donnell RACE fuel and an os #8 plug in a stock setup.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:52 AM
SS_Mania

I got 15T CB and 52T Spurgear is this bad gearing?
Old 12-24-2004, 11:02 AM
Frost_

Is it bad??

the 15/49 gives a tad more top-end, the 15/52 should be able to wheelie like mad, did you look at the link I posted?
Old 12-24-2004, 11:07 AM
SS_Mania

yea i did I watch that video and the comments below but I still dont know how to set Low speed Needle and High speed needle.
Do I need motor saver filter? cause I'm using the factory one right now. When you say 2 turns for needle whats the starting point?
Old 12-24-2004, 12:01 PM
frank88

when turning, turn the screw all the way clockwise untill it won't turn anymore and then if it is the hsn turn it at least 2 turns counterclockwise and keep richining it up if you need to. and do the same for the lsn but turn it at least 3 turns clockwise.
hope this helped
Old 12-24-2004, 01:57 PM
crankshaft

If you want to do wheelies, stiffen the rear shocks. Stock the savage has heavy shock oil. Just put on some pre load spacers or, if you don't mind changing the handling, which I think is better then gearing it down, put some stiffer springs on it. I have the .25 with a three shoe clutch and I have softer springs in the rear to keep it from doing wheelies.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:09 PM
Frost_

ORIGINAL: SS_Mania

yea i did I watch that video and the comments below but I still dont know how to set Low speed Needle and High speed needle.
Do I need motor saver filter? cause I'm using the factory one right now. When you say 2 turns for needle whats the starting point?

If you read the comments below they TELL YOU HOW to set the LSN and HSN. As I said in the tuning post, it doesn't matter at all what other people's settings are because there are SOOOOO many variables involved here. Print out the tuning post and go tune your truck. Once you've done it a time or two it will be easy and natural.

You really don't need any gimmicks like preloading the springs (which make it handle like crap and prone to tipping over in turns) or even gearing down; if you want to wheelie just tune the engine.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:16 PM
crankshaft

As far as your engine, you don't need that air filter, it doesn't do much for performance. it just takes longer to get dirty. and for the needles just turn them all the way in then turn both needles out three complete revolutions. you should never have to go less then about 2 1/2 turns form closed on either needle. If it makes a lot of smoke and sounds slow (the engine is not responsive when you hit the throttle) its too rich, so you turn the needle in about a 1/8 of a turn to make it leaner. If it sputters or stalls out at the hit of the throttle it is lean, turn the needle out a 1/8 turn. you turn the low speed needle if it not right at low rpm, or the high speed needle for at high rpm. keep adjusting till it sounds right and is responsive. just remember you have to give the engine a chance to warm up before it will run right. or you could just listen to frost and go ot the tuning post.