Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Grrrr... what the hell

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 01:25 PM
PSG-1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grrrr... what the hell

Ok well i've got two gripes right at the moment... i can never take my car out for more than a tank or two without something breaking... last time it was the ring/pinion gear and now it's a shock shaft... are the integy shocks known for bending shock shafts?? And is there some sort of like titanium replacement if they do bend alot?

Second gripe... 3 speed tranny, mach .26, stock tires, stock gearing my friends LST is just as fast as mine... i would have figured i'd be blowing him away... what do i do to make it so i am? Granted my car was a little out of tune the other day and was running rich and it broke before i could do much tuning on it but what the hell is this... i want to be fast lol. Anyways... i've vented now a little, i'm just getting so frustrated with my car, i never get to have fun with it because it breaks... and i'm not even bashing that much.. i barely even jumped... actually come to think about it i only jumped once and i have no freaking idea how i bent the shock shaft.... It ran awesome for a long time when i first got it, then i blew the diffs and ever since then it seems to break all the time... if it's not one thing it's another and i'm feeling quite dejected right now...
Old 11-22-2005, 02:16 PM
ace007

Default RE: Grrrr... what the hell

Yeah i had the same problem with the integy shock shafts on my savage they are junk now.I am converting over to the lst shocks as they are much bigger and can withstand alot more abuse.As for your set-up you should be running about the same as your friends lst if you really want to blow him away get the new os 30 then there will be no problem.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:17 PM
SS Nitro
My Feedback: (-1)

dont know much about the first one but for more power get

motorsavor airfilter
tuned pipe
tune engine
3 or 4 shoe clutch with aluminum clutch shoes
Old 11-22-2005, 07:09 PM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm curious as to which version of the Savage that you drive. You mentioned the 3-speed, but is that an upgrade or do you have the Savage Limited Edition? I bought the LE to avoid upgrading all of the parts from the previous models and I have not had a bit of trouble...of course I have only had my truck for a little over a month.

So, you want to beat your buddy's LST, huh? I think you should start with the gearing, since you are running the stock gears. My truck came stock with a 15T clutchbell and a 49T spur. After trying several different set-ups, I have found that a 17T clutchbell and a 47T spur give me the performance that I want. The 15T CB gives you lots of bottom-end and easy wheelies. The 19T CB gives you great top-end, but it is slow off of the line. 17/47 seems to give you a little bit of both IMO.

SS Nitro has the right of it, beyond the gears. If you want to get faster you need those upgrades. I think, when it comes down to it, the Savage is not really built for speed, but for darting around and doing big jumps. If your truck is breaking every two tanks, but you drive reasonably well...........I'd say replace the broken parts with the best available and you will eventually have a bullet-proof truck.

I hope I helped a little bit.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:36 AM
gerwen

It's pretty well accepted around here that the stock plastic shocks are just about the best for the savage. I've beat the heck out of my savage and not so much as blown a cap or bent a shaft.

If you're gearing up for speed, stick with nice light tires if you can. Your drivetrain will thank you. The SS's stock dirt bonz are great. The Savage 25's stockers aren't too bad either.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:30 AM
savage - LTD

hey icecreamslick --

I alos have a LTD SAVAGE and have my fair share of problems--

what have you broke??

Its sad when you buy the top of the line to have so many problems-
Old 11-23-2005, 10:40 AM
icecreamslick

Savage - LTD, I swear, I have not broken a single part of my Savage. [] Granted, a good deal of my time has been spent breaking the engine in as well as possible, trying different gears, and really learning to tune the motor to perform its best. However, I have accidentally hit car tires, trees, curbs and even my wife. I have also cartwheeled and rolled numerous times.

Now, I try to drive at the local track more often than the street/yard. The triple jump is the highest I take my truck from the ground, so maybe that is the difference. My truck is certainly no shelf queen, but I do not abuse it to see which part will break first and I'm not into getting wicked air. []

The Savage LE is a great truck IMO, and I treat it as a prized possession. [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 11-23-2005, 06:19 PM
icecreamslick

HA! This is what I get for bragging about the durability of my truck and how responsibly I drive it...

I went to a not-so-local track, today. In just under three hours, I stripped two spur gears, ripped my stock body, and managed to dent my tuned pipe! [X(]

I bought a Toyota Land Cruizer body. [sm=thumbup.gif] One down.

Apparently, I came down on that one jump just right (sideways ), in order to bash my pipe on the crest of the next jump. Normally, the wheels would have given some pretty good protection, but what can I say....I'm gifted. The peak was narrow enough to hit the pipe right between the wheels. Oh well, I'll take the pipe off, fill it with water, cap the ends and freeze it again and again until it resembles its original shape. [:'(] Two down.

As far as the spur gears stripping, I'm now convinced that the long, T-handle hex driver that I'm using to tighten the motor mount screws is just too long and weak. The shaft of the wrench has twisted, but I'm still not getting enough torque to get the screws tight enough to handle the hard landings. I'm also thinking about a mod...........The slots for the motor mount screws allow you to adjust the position of the motor, so you can use different sized gears, but I have found my gear ratio: 17/47. What I need is a way to stop the screws from slipping over in the slots with hard landings. I need to come up with a way to either fill the empty spaces next to the screws with some sort of spacer, or else fabricate a motor mount plate that has holes instead of slots.

Before I go and try to 'reinvent the wheel', has anyone ever heard of another way to fix the problem? [sm=confused.gif]

Cheers!
Jason
Old 11-23-2005, 09:25 PM
hybridstone

The savage is the strongest monster truck on the market!!and the new ss 4.6 kit is the top savy just add a rrp steel spur cb/ a good radio set up and thats all the upgrades you'll need!! integy is ****!!! we stopped stocking integy crap 2 yrs ago!I have 2 savage one had a mach 26 15/52 gearing 2speed trans and i beat lst's 21 t -maxx ect... tune your engine!!! adjust shift points with the 3 speed you will kill a stock lst alot of problem stem from inexperiance all models break but there are tricks to make em last longer always shim your diffs!! Ring n pinion need shims as do the spider n bevals 13 gallons 2 engines later on the stock diffs
Old 11-24-2005, 12:26 AM
azzman

What I need is a way to stop the screws from slipping over in the slots with hard landings. I need to come up with a way to either fill the empty spaces next to the screws with some sort of spacer, or else fabricate a motor mount plate that has holes instead of slots.

Dont get rid of the slots...you need em. They invented this cool round thing with a hole in it not so long ago, I think they must be new on the market cause not everyones heard of em...thats it, yea, they call em WASHERS...

Seriously tho, get some strong washers under there, go with longer bolts if you have to as well.
Old 11-24-2005, 01:20 AM
icecreamslick

Everybody's a comedian.

Ok, Azzman, I'll bite. How exactly will washers help? Are you talking about lock washers or just your basic, simple, traditional, plain old, regular, every day, ordinary, normal, standard, white bread, usual, unremarkable, typical, run-of-the-mill, common, garden variety, conventional, generic, plain-jane, round washers?
Old 11-24-2005, 09:58 AM
gerwen

Are you using threadlock on the motor mount screws? Helps a lot.

17/47 is pretty tall gearing for a track, does it have a lot of straights where you can use all that speed? Gearing down will give you more acceleration and take some strain off your drivetrain to boot. 15/47 or 15/49 is probably better for most tracks i'd think.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:05 AM
jpolidore

Icecreamslick, I had the same problem as you, I replaced the hexhead screws with some good old fashioned phillips head ones, put a good bit of threadlock on them and crank them down. They do not loosen anymore. I got the phillips head ones at my LHS. I think they are 2mm longer than the stock ones.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:55 AM
proxpilot
My Feedback: (3)

i think he's talking about, your basic, simple, traditional, plain old, regular, every day, ordinary, normal, standard, white bread, usual, unremarkable, typical, run-of-the-mill, common, garden variety, conventional, generic, plain-jane, round washers.