Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

Hey guys, im wondering if its safe to break in a savage at 25 degree temps

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Hey guys, im wondering if its safe to break in a savage at 25 degree temps

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 10:08 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hey guys, im wondering if its safe to break in a savage at 25 degree temps

Hi guys, i live in New York and the temps are around 25 degrees now. I just bought a new savage (its my first one!) so im wondering if it will damage or do anything to my engine if I break it in at this temperature.
Thanks guys, ur info is greatly appreciated!
Old 12-04-2005, 11:59 PM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hey guys, im wondering if its safe to break in a savage at 25 degree temps

Wrap the head VERY VERY WELL with a 2 gym socks or a beanie or something... It's tough to safely get it up to temp, resist the temptation to make it too lean for the sole sake of warming it up unless it's 'blubbery'.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:32 AM
Polar_Bus

Default RE: Hey guys, im wondering if its safe to break in a savage at 25 degree temps

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

Hi guys, i live in New York and the temps are around 25 degrees now. I just bought a new savage (its my first one!) so im wondering if it will damage or do anything to my engine if I break it in at this temperature.
Thanks guys, ur info is greatly appreciated!
Doesen't matter what the outside air temps are, the important thing is you need to get the engine temp above 200F for proper break-in. That won't happen when it's 20F outside. I broke in my Picco .26 when it was 15F. I had to place a large tupperware bowl over the engine to allow temps to get above 200F. I was able to maintain 230F no problem.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:10 PM
1Nightrider1

a tuuperware bowl? thats preety big!!
Old 12-08-2005, 05:10 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

I use Aluminum foil to cover the engine cooling head. Just wrap several layers of the stuff on it, and it heats right up
Old 12-18-2005, 06:08 PM
1Nightrider1

i dont have a temp gun and my dad has already spent enough money. whut can i do or where can i buy 1 for at least 10$
Old 12-18-2005, 06:32 PM
the dog

i broke my 4.6 in at -26f and i didnt do anything to cover the motor. like ive said earlier im on my 3rd gallon and it runs fine except when the temperatures im trying to start in are to cold. i will say that its just now really starting to show alot of power. ive never run the thing above freezing. maybe i did it wrong for all i know. hpi said it was ok as long as i went by the book instructions. im new so dont do as i do.(my disclaimer)
Old 12-18-2005, 08:45 PM
Whoa G

That motor will be okay until you try to run it in above-freezing temps. when you break it in like that (without anything around the head to warm it up - ouch), the sleeve doesn't get a chance to expand properly, and causes premature wear on both the piston and sleeve. the motor will run fine as long as its cold outside, but the more the air temps rise, the more heat the motor retains, and the sleeve will expand, causing a sloppy fit between the p/s, creating blow-by and loss of power, and also make the motor overheat easier. sorry if this is redundant, but you asked, so i answered
Old 12-18-2005, 09:53 PM
the dog

the temp wont be above freezing for me till march or april. ill just buy another motor for summer. problem solved.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:43 PM
Whoa G

I wish i had that much money,