Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

HPI E-Savage

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 08:20 PM
BitHed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HPI E-Savage

...f150dan...Changing bodies is easy...we have all sorts at ezillacomm...I am waiting fro the Proline Crowd Pleazer for savage to arrive...The bug body seems to have two clear groups...Those that love it and those that dont...

...Also we are YET to see a REALLY good brushless system that will honestly put the twin 550's to shame...I would power up the stock motors with a replacement and then just wait to see what the Monster Max does...I have a 5700 Max in it now which does a pretty good job...But thats another thread...

...Badboy 2...The battery holders will fit but they are designed to match the holes in the chassis which seat the batteries at an angle...Basically they are half in / half out of the chassis...You would be better off in the long run with those batteries cases that Kershaw designs puts out with their Savage conversion kits...I dont know what they are from originally..Something TRAXXAS?

...RevoEater...I appreciate your opinion but i fail to see which part of the address of this thread, 'RC Cars, Buggies and Trucks >> RC Monster Trucks >> HPI Monster Truck Forum >> HPI E-Savage' that this vehicle is out of place...If GP was in there ANYWHERE i would be the first to move it out...I'm not after a turf war
Old 08-20-2006, 08:38 PM
BitHed

...BTW the stock battery cases are OK but i always liked a little custom work

Old 08-20-2006, 08:39 PM
f150dan
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: BitHed

...Also we are YET to see a REALLY good brushless system that will honestly put the twin 550's to shame...
I was thinking about something along the lines of a Lehner 1940 with 4-6s Lipo
Old 08-20-2006, 08:49 PM
BitHed

...Bring it on bruddah lol...

...FYI here is the link to the Brushless Section at E-ZILLACOMM...

http://ezillacomm.forumsplace.com/forum-12.html
Old 08-20-2006, 09:03 PM
Whoa G

I guess we should have all seen it coming, with the introduction of the Baja, the Hellfire, and all those kinds of trucks, it seems HPI is trying to fill niches - just like any good company does, look for an area of possible growth, and exploit it. Heck, who but me thinks it's blashphemous for them to make Die-Casts?

It does seem to lean towards more ease-of-use than anything else, which is good if you're a noob, but I like to get my hands a little dirty working on my truck - not just dusty. Don't get me wrong, electrics have their place; easy to use, instant torque at the twitch of a finger, quiet, clean, etc. But, just like nitro, they have their downsides; short run-times (unless you're loaded and have five sets of batteries, ok, four) They're quiet, they're clean. They're just not as realistic as nitro. Real monster trucks run on methanol (which is part of the mix for our fuel, isn't it?), they're loud, and make plenty of smoke when they break. And honestly, when you can run your truck outside, why would you EVER run inside? There's just so much more interesting stuff out there than in here. Outside is for running your truck, Inside is for writing about running your truck on RCU
Old 08-20-2006, 09:09 PM
BitHed

...You wouldnt want to run your E-savage INSIDE thats for sure...

...Whoa G the whole die-cast thing is to take on KYOSHO...I think its a bit silly too...Maybe we can get a diecast savage though And i agree with you [8D] BOTH platforms have their good and bad points...And no-one is saying (or should be saying) that either is better than the other...There are so many factors between machines and users that one just cant say THIS is better...

...You are also very right about HPI filling the niche's Good comment...
Old 08-20-2006, 09:18 PM
f150dan
My Feedback: (18)

BitHed, that truck looks awesome man. Got any more pics of it?
Old 08-20-2006, 09:34 PM
BitHed

...mostly just the older ones...I have been sampling the 5700 Max so its aint that pretty right now...

Old 08-21-2006, 12:32 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

An E-zilla is definitely smaller than a Savage.. And as for niches, I've pointed that out before - but you're not going far enough. Yes, companies need to exploit niches, BUT WITH GOOD, SOLID PRODUCTS..(that's mostly aimed at another of HPI's "products"...) Slapping the name "Savage" on a blatantly different truck is a totally weasely way to fill that "niche".. Why couldn't they take the X and put an electric system in it - then they'd have even more presence in the electric "niche".. I don't really have a problem with an E-Savage niche - but the E-zilla-Savage is NOT a Savage. Aren't T-MAXXes and E-MAXXes MUCH more similar?? I've had both, and side by side the size difference was significant.. (and in any case the "niche" that really bugs me is the Savage X one..)

To be honest, though yes this E-Savage really is a fairly minor point, combined with what they've done to the real Savage it's really pushing me away from HPI.. You don't see Traxxas doing this C R A P.. Heck, they went and made their trucks BETTER and FASTER - same with Losi.. HPI has made the Savage easier to work on I suppose(which is great, as it needs it so much more..), SLOWER, and basically all-around less bashable..(I consider lack of hard-core bashing videos around on the net as partial proof of this.. All the good vids are still of older Savages.. I pointed this out to SoCalNitro at beatyourtruck - before that site went down the tubes... - and, regardless of what you think of the guy - he knows how to thrash a Savage - and proves it in his vids - and he said the X was junk and an inferior product.. No, no, no I don't base my opinions on just that - it's just one detail in the pile....) Throw in some cyncial, intelligence-insulting marketing manipulation, and you have what for me is a major turn-off...
Old 08-21-2006, 04:15 PM
Whoa G

Well, I just did a little more research, and HPI is starting to sound like GM (the 1:1 car manufacturer). This is the most blatant form of re-badging I think I have ever seen. At least GM takes a car (say the Pontiac Solstice), and puts a different body on the same chassis (calls it the Saturn Sky) HPI, who, I believe, owns Hot Bodies, just took the exact same truck, charger, batts, tires, everything, and rebadged it all HPI Savage. I never realized that the E-Zilla was made by Hot Bodies (I thought it was a conversion for the E-Maxx - w/e). I don't know how the execs can sleep at night knowing this these trucks are nearly identical.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:20 PM
Whoa G

What happened? everyone was talking up a storm and then, ....... kaputz
Old 08-24-2006, 05:25 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Well, I am definatetly getting one.

I don't care which one, because they are identical and I also do not care if they sell under two different brands, this is quite common among many consumer products. I also am very glad it is smaller, lighter than a nitro savage as it just makes it faster.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:53 PM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Electric R/C is taking off again and it will be the next "hot" thing in the upcoming years of this hobby. If you read any of the R/C magazines, you should already know this. Get used to it.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:18 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: PatrickBW

HPI has made the Savage easier to work on I suppose(which is great, as it needs it so much more..), SLOWER, and basically all-around less bashable..
WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING???? How is the X SLOWER than your gonzo underpowered snail of a .25 non-LE Savage?

Last time I drove a .25 powered Savage that didn't have a 3 speed, i wanted to run up and kick it from behind so it'd actually get out of its own way.

the F4.1 is WORLDS better than the old 25 in the power department, and anybody who says otherwise ...well...you know what I think.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:11 AM
BitHed

...Well this is weird...Tower has the E-Zilla IN STOCK and listed at 329.99 whereas the E-Savage is listed at 339.99 and available early September...if you are going to switch bodies anyway I know which one I would pick
Old 08-25-2006, 12:26 AM
HerrSavage

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

HPI has made the Savage easier to work on I suppose(which is great, as it needs it so much more..), SLOWER, and basically all-around less bashable..
WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING???? How is the X SLOWER than your gonzo underpowered snail of a .25 non-LE Savage?

Last time I drove a .25 powered Savage that didn't have a 3 speed, i wanted to run up and kick it from behind so it'd actually get out of its own way.

the F4.1 is WORLDS better than the old 25 in the power department, and anybody who says otherwise ...well...you know what I think.

Weren't the top-speeds of both trucks tested in some mag, and the X was IN FACT slower?? The 25 did 34mph or so, and the X 31... That's what I heard anyway.. In any case, performance-wise the only thing the X can do better than a stock 25 is wheelie. And I would rather have a slug 25 that runs than something bigger that leaves the truck in a constant state of repair..(I'd rather drive than wrench..)

And, back on topic..., just to be crystal clear, as for the "E-Savage", it's not "nearly identical" to an E-zilla. It IS an E-zilla..
Old 08-25-2006, 12:46 AM
BitHed

...Limited wrenchin on the old E-Savvy boys [8D] (BitHed is trying DESPERATLEY to stay on topic [:@])
Old 08-25-2006, 12:54 AM
HerrSavage

That is definitely a major appeal of electric as far as I'm concerned.., but electric just doesn't do it for me.. I had an E-zilla, but sold it. The sound and smell and energy of nitro is worth the hassles.. So far anyway..

What issues does the E-zilla have actually? Back when I bought mine people were talking about weak C-hubs, and maybe drive-shafts or something.. I know the C-hubs are universal so you can switch them around(I broke one too..), but is there anything else??
Old 08-25-2006, 01:05 AM
BitHed

...If there was ANYTHING that HAD to be said was wrong with it most users would probably mention the c-hubs and driveshafts...I have broken one of each and they are easily avoided but many want them 'unbreakable' to start with...Any SERIOUS user knows that things break and that not EVERYTHING can be indestructible because the forces just go somewhere else on the chassis though...That is mty 2 cent rant...lol...

...True the C-hub HATES the colder weather but the servo saver is also worth its weight in gold and takes a lot of big hits...The driveshafts ARE replaceable with an E-Maxx equivalent, (the part # escapes I apologise), which by all reports are stronger and better...

...Probably the biggest other complaint is the body...Some love it some hate it...
Old 08-25-2006, 01:10 AM
HerrSavage

Yep, busted my C-hub on a cold winter day, landing at a slight angle jumping off some steps and landing on concrete.. Overall though the truck was very, very tough - it at least does share that with Savages.. It's also cool that you can just switch the C-hubs around like that.. I also got a random drive-shaft in the mail from Hot Bodies a while back, several months after I sold it... Hmm..
Old 08-25-2006, 01:14 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Weren't the top-speeds of both trucks tested in some mag, and the X was IN FACT slower?? The 25 did 34mph or so, and the X 31... That's what I heard anyway.. In any case, performance-wise the only thing the X can do better than a stock 25 is wheelie. And I would rather have a slug 25 that runs than something bigger that leaves the truck in a constant state of repair..(I'd rather drive than wrench..)

And, back on topic..., just to be crystal clear, as for the "E-Savage", it's not "nearly identical" to an E-zilla. It IS an E-zilla..
That mag actually put the 18t CB on the Sav25 for the top speed run the X ran 31 with the 15t. My Savage has been just as trouble-free as any old-style savage i've seen.

BH, I'm really looking forward to the release of the E-savage if that means parts availability!! that's what kept me from getting the Zilla[:@]

my only complaint about the body is that it's not CLEAR so i can shoot it myself. first thing my Zilla/ESavage would get is a PL F100 body
Old 08-25-2006, 01:23 AM
BitHed

...easy peezy ThunderBird...Grab an E-Zilla and flog the stock body on the bay There are GP people who WANT that body...Then just turn the proceeds in the Proline That F-100 SHOULD fit...It doesnt look THAT much bigger...Right now I am running an HPI MT2 body and there is one guy on EZILLACOMM who is running a GT2 Savage body...Doesnt look too bad...

RE: Parts, one would presume that this will all be solved with HPI at the reigns...Right now DinBall is listing them and of course I send them all over the globe all the time

...Patrick switching the c-hubs IS kinda cool...It will be interesting to see if they come out in alloy or not...The BAD thing about the c-hubs is that they are sold in singles bundled with the upright which is a part that NEVER breaks...So you end up with bunch of uprights [X(]
Old 08-25-2006, 01:47 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

BH...i'm gonna assume you deal in overseas type deals? like with tamiya parts? if so, PM me!!
Old 08-25-2006, 05:06 AM
rhylsadar

hi

coming back from my holidays and seeing all those new threads about e savages in nearly every forum i read, made me very very curious. realizing that it was just a sticker swap to differentiate it from the e zilla made me come down to earth in seconds. now i am not sure what to think of this marketing switch. on one hand one can hope that parts availability will improve and maybe some aftermarkt tuning parts become available. this surely will help to spread this model on a wider range. but on the other hand the downside stays, that the e savage will not be compatible with mostly all of the tuning parts for the nitro savage. particarly nothing except of the shocks and wheels are interchangeable. i can hardly understand why hpi is not producing a REAL e savage where all the already existing aftermarkt parts are compatible. it would be so easy to make for them. all the bodies would perfectly fit, alloy diffs, stronger driveshafts etc etc. i can not imagine where they see the problem.

but anyhow after all i think this swap will make the e zilla more attractive. eventhough the naming "e savage" will create some massive misunderstandings about part compatibility i think.

bye
rhylsadar
Old 08-25-2006, 04:13 PM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

I'll bite.

The F4.1 is better than the "old" 4.1? I've yet to see that in real life. On paper it surely sounds better though. How is it that the X clocks just as fast as a non-LE 4.1 if it has such a superior engine? They both are in the mid 30s, so where's all that extra power at? If you ask me, it's the same engine with just a little flash added to keep the truck fresh and sales up. I'll throw a 2spd back in and run any F4.1 X owners that live near me that want to show me just how fast their "improved" engine is over my old and used up 4.1 RTR special. PM me if you are serious.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.