Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

help or i'll go crazy

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 05:32 PM
bb942

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help or i'll go crazy

ok, trying to start the break in on my nex x,and my first nitro. it wouldnt start at all before, I adjusted the idle adjustment scret cuz it looked like it wasnt open enough. and im messed with the HSN, i can not get it running for about 10-20 seconds then it shoulds like it locks up and kills. not sure what to do.someone please help
Old 03-10-2007, 06:01 PM
Polar_Bus

Default RE: help or i'll go crazy

ORIGINAL: bb942

ok, trying to start the break in on my nex x,and my first nitro. it wouldnt start at all before, I adjusted the idle adjustment scret cuz it looked like it wasnt open enough. and im messed with the HSN, i can not get it running for about 10-20 seconds then it shoulds like it locks up and kills. not sure what to do.someone please help
A brand new nitro engine will be set VERY rich from the factory to do the proper engine break-in. The carb needles are VERY sensitive to adjustments. Read your engine manual, and re-set the needles to exactly what they recommend. Also a new engine is very tight. A tip to help you more easier start a new engine is the slightly loosen the glow plug. This bleeds off a bit of compression allowing the engine to turn over MUCH easier. Some guys also use a hair dryer to pre-heat the engine too, this also allows easier starting. Do not adjust the HSN when breaking in a new engine. The HSN has no effect during break-in. The low speed needle will affect break in idle quality. If the engine starts, and idles good but slowly starts to die, and stall, turn the LSN clockwise 1/8 turn, and retry.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:52 PM
Vigilante212

Aww man I wanted to see him go crazy . Yea lean it up like a 1/8 of a turn until it runs leave the glow plug ignigter on it for a bit and blip the throttle to keep the engine from bogging down.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:43 PM
chris15

this same thing happend with my tornado bb and i leaned it out richened it up every thing. i could only get it running for like 20 seconds. and i found out that i bought it and it already had a broken clutch spring.and the gas tank wasent sucking any gas in it.

so advice to everbody, dont by a tornado!
Old 03-11-2007, 01:53 AM
bb942

thanks guys.i'll give it a try tomorrow.if it doesnt work i might be forced to take it to my hobby store and pay $30/hr to have it looked at [&o]
Old 03-11-2007, 01:30 PM
Vigilante212

Fix it yourself man its not that hard. Its proably something silly like a bad glow plug or low idle. Let me ask you this when you start it up when does it quit when you give it throttle or if it just sits idling? If it dies when you give it throttle its loading up with fuel lean it out a bit until you can run it still rich, but not quiting. If it quits while idling(cold engines do it alot) turn the idle speed up a hair. Also preheating the engine head helps alot use a hair dryer or heat gun.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:31 PM
bb942

well right now i kinda have it where i can start it and it will stay going.i think the idle is to high cuz it kinda wants to push the car forward and after awhile it starts to. i have had it running but after awhile the temp got up to 230 degrees so i killed it cuz i heard thats to hot for break in and the temp was still on the rise.im not sure what to do and its just getting irritating. i REALLY dont want to (if i havent already) damage the new engine.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:33 PM
bb942

OH, and it wasnt kiling but it seemed like there was a lot of gas or moisture coming out of the exhaust.not sure if thats normal
Old 03-11-2007, 11:21 PM
Ziggmiester

Yep you want, or at least I, want moisture coming from the pipe during break in. If the truck is moving forward, then yea, the idle is slightly too high. And by the sounds of it, it leans out as the tanks go on, which is a typical problem of the Sav. It has a half-tank lean issue, that, is self-explanatory, but I will explain it nonetheless. After the fuel gets below half of the tank, the truck starts to lean out, so you should account for that. Just richen it up until it stops rolling forward, and take it easy for the first tanks.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:10 AM
bb942

115 hits about me going crazy...interesting. well i'll do my best to get it going.hopefully i wont pull all of my hair out first
Old 03-12-2007, 05:04 PM
Vigilante212

On break in you want to get the temp above 200 degrees. Let it cool down at BDC (bottom dead center) and then go again until it gets up there.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:45 PM
Polar_Bus

ORIGINAL: bb942

well right now i kinda have it where i can start it and it will stay going.i think the idle is to high cuz it kinda wants to push the car forward and after awhile it starts to. i have had it running but after awhile the temp got up to 230 degrees so i killed it cuz i heard thats to hot for break in and the temp was still on the rise.im not sure what to do and its just getting irritating. i REALLY dont want to (if i havent already) damage the new engine.
230F is fine for breaking in a new engine. If you want to break in an engine easier, take all 4 tires off, and set the truck on the ground. This way, the truck won't be able to move foreward from a high idle. I know of a few guys that overheated their clutch trying to break in a brand new Savage that was trying to move on the ground.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:44 PM
bb942

well now that I know the temp is ok, how high can it get before i should stop it on break in? and, i wasnt leaving it on the ground. I had the wheels off the cround but i did put it down and it did want to go forward. thanks for all the help everyone