Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Started it up,need some quick help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 10:42 PM
naynay12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Started it up,need some quick help!

Ok I started up my savage x ss,and even when the throttle trim is right down the wheels spin moderately fast.Is this normal,and what can i do about it.
Also thge needles are flush(but i did not check the idle screw,since i bought it used) and it is spitting out alot of fuel and dripping oil.Am i too rich?The high speed is flush,and low speed. Thanks.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:08 PM
arisking

Default RE: Started it up,need some quick help!

Turn the idle screw counterclockwise.

-Josh-
Old 05-18-2007, 11:22 PM
naynay12

k thanks,am i running to rich
Old 05-19-2007, 07:02 AM
DavidKirkbride

yea ure running rich, ure supposed too, when u first get ure truck youre supposed to run it rich for bout 5 tanks, so that the engine can get run in, as the fuel and oil keeps the engine lubricated, after about 5 tanks u can start to turn the HSN and LSN Clockwise to get better performance.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:51 AM
nextalcupfan

well it may already be broken in since u bought it used
Old 05-19-2007, 10:27 AM
myrcsupply

Its very hard to tell when dealing with a used engine.

If you got it with the needles still in the flush possition, i would take the head off and see if there is any scares on the sleeve or damage on the piston.

Its not too common to see a used truck come with factory settings, unless the orig owner didnt want you to know how he was running it.

I have seen so many problems with used trucks, they almost always end up spending the trucks cost over again in parts.

I would start with doing a lean out on the HSN. make sure you can get the truck to top speed and it still sounds good. If your experiance trouble tuning, i would seal it up. (this is the only other thing i can think of why the needles are still at flush). This way you can actualy tune the truck in.

JUST FYI - Its not good to run your engine too rich or too lean. So keep that in mind before you go beating on it, in its current state. to lean will cook that little thing, while too rich puts alot of extra pressure on the piston/rod/crank/ and namly bearings.

I hope this helps, let us know the outcome...
Give us some images if possible.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:27 AM
naynay12

Ok well had to cut it short since it was raining.I turned the idle screw clockwise a turn and it was not bad.All the needles were lean,sicne he came from i n the mountains of america.

He said when he broke it in first he idled for to tanks,the after every tank he leaned the needles 1/8 of a turn.He ran 6 tanks-thats all...a bit fishy..He did not run it over 170f,and it was popping weelies.I ran around 200f,once up to 233f,and when i pressed half throttle the front end wpould on go slightly up...But its suppose tlo weelie?It was so rich at one stage that it reached 108 f,since i took the foil of the headMaybe i was babying it a bit since it already had 6 tanks through it...
Next weekend im going to the bmx track,running a few mopre tanks in the morining,then leaning it and jumping..Will this be ok?Also what alloy shoes should i go with,and howlong will the plastic ones last?

P.S i will soon post a video and you can tell me if i was running too rich.Thanks.