Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Engine upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 04:27 PM
electricnitro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engine upgrade?

ORIGINAL: Coastiebob

what exhaust will work best with this motor? LRP Z .28R Spec 3 engine !!

From everyone that has the lpr on other sites. They say either the jammin JP-3 or the hpi polished pipe. The jp-3 is a little weird to fit cause its made to go on the left had side verse the right hand side of the savage. My vote goes with the hpi polished pipe for the LRP spec 3. This engine is a BEAST for the price. I have seen both the picco and the spec 3 run and there is not that much difference in power characteristics. Plus the LRP is a little cheaper.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:45 PM
ravenlunatic

ORIGINAL: doesgo

What do you mean by "bigger savage"? The Picco .28 and LRP .28 are definitely more powerful than either the K4.6 or F4.6 that come with the Savage from HPI, I suspect you'll be pleasantly surprised. There's much more to the power factor than mere displacement!
i mean bigger: extended TVPs 40 series moab tires. those tires are huge. i guess i would need more torque.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:58 PM
electricnitro

Yes the LPR spec 3 will flip a extended savage. But so will a .25 if its geared right. What do people do if they take there 1:1 truck rock crawling? They gear it down to get torque. It goes the same way with savages. Thats why there is so many different spurs and CB's.[:-]
Old 11-07-2007, 07:32 PM
Coastiebob

thanks electircnitro, i appreciate it!!!! i'll see what i can price them out at!!! and then talk to the Boss and see what i get from the account!!!!
Old 11-07-2007, 09:52 PM
dhyde79

my stock S25 that's running crappy's pulling the front tires up (a couple inches) when in grass/gravel with 40 series moabXL's running on SavX TVP's with a bit of extra weight added to it....any decent motor should handle those tires fine. I'm actually going to steepen my gearing from 15/48 to 16/48 (3.2:1 to 3:1 ratio) when I put my new motor in....
Old 11-08-2007, 02:33 AM
brokentrucks

STS D28M or D30M are cheap or sometimes cheaper than an axial and WAY more powerful.

My 2 cents
Old 11-08-2007, 03:27 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$320.00 buys you a AB Mods Stage 2 Picco 28........ 2.3 HP and 85 oz/in of tourque on the X-Dyno...... the most powerful motor ever to be strapped to an X-Dyno.........This motor will run and tune super easy, and make insame amounts of HP.TQ and RPM..... expect a 50 MPH plus Savage using a mill like this.....
Old 11-08-2007, 07:32 AM
ravenlunatic

wow that sound nice but that price tage sounds painful! i took my truck out again yesterday and found that it's not the engine that's weak, it's my clutch that's sliping! it still slips even though i upgraded to ofna blue alum. shoes installed backwards!. i know this is not about engines but any sugestions on a gripy clutch that won't put a huge hole in my wallet would be greatly apreciated guys.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:42 AM
electricnitro

Make sure your slipper clutch is tightned down ALL THE WAY. What clutch springs do you have? Like I said grab the spur and CRANK down on the slipper nut. It won't hurt anything to do that. Then let us know what happned.

One other thing. How many gallons do you have on your clutch any way?
Old 11-09-2007, 09:08 AM
ravenlunatic

ORIGINAL: electricnitro

Make sure your slipper clutch is tightned down ALL THE WAY. What clutch springs do you have? Like I said grab the spur and CRANK down on the slipper nut. It won't hurt anything to do that. Then let us know what happned.

One other thing. How many gallons do you have on your clutch any way?

my slipper clutch pad is not sliping, i know it's the clutch shoes, the springs are what came with the shoes, i have no idea how strong or weak they are but they seem fine with standard tires. as for tightening down the slipper clutch, the only thing that will do is highten my chances at breaking something. the reason the slipper is allowed to slip is so you don't break your driveline parts on hard landings at WOT. thanks for the advice anyways.

i've got less than one gallon on them. a little more then half.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:11 PM
Coastiebob

Well guys i have a LRP Z28R Spec 3 W/ pullstart and roto start plate in the mail with an ofna 125cc fuel tank, HPI polished Pipe another alloy diff cup as i snapped the tip off of one when the bearing got wedged on it at an angle, and a new linkage set in case i have to redo it.... i can't wait for it to get here!!! once it's set up i'll post a pic!! wish me luck!!!
Old 11-12-2007, 11:14 PM
_Dragin_

A friend of mine has 2 LRP Z28R Spec 3 engines and they are SICK. One is on a Savage the other is on his LST. He was in the process of breaking one in and you could tell it is a beast. And for the price you just can't go wrong. You will be VERY pleased.