Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

what is better: pull start vs. roto start

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 10:14 PM
bebo421

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is better: pull start vs. roto start

my roto start for my 4.6 savage is gimped up so should i just buy a PULL START attachment or another ROTO START

********************************[sm=drowning.gif]_HELP_ME_[sm=drowning.gif]
Old 02-27-2008, 10:25 PM
savagexx1

Default RE: what is better: pull start vs. roto start

if you know how to tune it then a pullstart cuz rotostarts mess up one way berings easier than pullstarts. if u are a noob then a rotostart cuz rotostarts will get it running easier.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:30 PM
nitro.rc.racer
Banned

i dont like the roto start on my savage because it uses too much power and the batt goes dead fast
Old 02-27-2008, 10:33 PM
takenotes Bch

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5288271/anchors_5288271/mpage_1/key_pullstart%252Croto%252Cstart/anchor/tm.htm#5288271]Roto-start vs. Pullstart[/link]

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4306739/anchors_4306739/mpage_1/key_pullstart%252Croto%252Cstart/anchor/tm.htm#4306739] what is better the pull start or the roto start for savage x [/link]

It is really up to you what is best, its kinda like savage vs. revo. Each has there own pros and cons as do pull start vs. roto start. It is a decision you will need to make for your own, can you tune, do you already have a charger, are a couple of the things you might need to consider.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:11 PM
bebo421

i can do all of that stuff
Old 02-27-2008, 11:12 PM
beer=food
Banned

How about us old farts, ezy start owns you guys, hahaha, oh its a roto v wank start, oops, well definately get another roto, disregard that comment made by some, was it noob' , that suggested roto starts kill one way bearings faster, in actual fact its the user that does that, by running the roto longer than it should, over and over, a wank start prevents this by having a pain in the anus short rope/string, there made for noobs, hahahaha, classic.
Anyways all of us noob's aside, if you use it [ a roto ] , like a wank start, ie, in short bursts, there way better, way easier, and last longer, because you never brake a rope/string from over wanking it !
Batteries should not be a problem in the hobby your in, surely you have more than one ?

Anyways bugger em all, get an EZY start from craxxasup, buurp, way easier again, hahaha, for old drunk buggers like you, erm me, one little red button between you and engine life, LOL its like the ol' land rovers 30 years ago, hahaha, riiiiiiiiight, just lost half oof yas, ezy start ezy start ezy start ! LOL LOL LOL !
Old 02-27-2008, 11:15 PM
mazdab2600

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sorry guy's.
but i've yet to see a roto get broken.
normally the owb slips/break's first.
check it first.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:29 AM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull start is drastically better for simplicities sake-and it is darn reliable too if you don't manhandle it. Roto start is better for convenience sake I suppose, but that is up for speculation because you need to carry around a charger, battery and wand/cordless drill wherever you go with your truck. With a pull start, you have none of that nonsense to drag around. Been there, done that....pull start all the way for me now.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:29 AM
go-to
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: savagexx1

if you know how to tune it then a pullstart cuz rotostarts mess up one way berings easier than pullstarts. if u are a noob then a rotostart cuz rotostarts will get it running easier.
I am *not* a noob and prefer the RotoStart.

It's all about preference. Plain and simple...take your pick which one you want to use because they both have equal amounts of pros and cons.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:43 AM
savagexx1

^wow, i wasnt trying to say that at all, i was just saying that it is mostly easier for people starting out to get it started using a rotostart. i perfer not to use a rotostart because they go through one way berings faster.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:48 AM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

I don't care for rotostarts. I am all about Tiger Drives personally. They are bulletproof, cheap and super durable. I am an experienced nitro guy and I don't feel inferior because I like the ease of drill starting over pullstarts.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:08 AM
Hordsak

I perfer pullstarts, especially when bashing because I don't have to lug the roto start around.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:49 PM
drivefastgto

I love my rotostart. Power tools make everything better.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:53 AM
beer=food
Banned

Naaa the traxxas has the best for ease of use, its one red button, its better than all the above for simplicity and being so so user friendly, not as tough as a tiger start, but every bit as good as a roto start if USED correctly, and way easier, oh and in the field, it outright pwns. No glow plug batt/lighter, nothing but the one wand which, only noobs', hahaha, go out with not fully charged ! LOL !
Old 02-29-2008, 09:00 AM
ForkliftJeff

I started with a roto start but now I love my pull start. I hated lugging around the roto starter. Now I use those batteries for my crawler.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:42 AM
newpat

i' still a newb, but i have got one quick question: can you adapt a EZ start on a Savage X?

if yes, how difficult is it?
Thx!
Old 02-29-2008, 11:28 AM
drivefastgto

ORIGINAL: newpat

i' still a newb, but i have got one quick question: can you adapt a EZ start on a Savage X?

if yes, how difficult is it?
Thx!
No.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:52 PM
beer=food
Banned

Na dude l was just being a smug turd, lm get like that when lve had a few, hehehe.Very sry, l could be an ass and suggest getting a revo, but that'll just get the savy fans wanting blood ! LOL !
Old 03-01-2008, 01:15 AM
E-maxxer

i just bought my pull start the other day and It only has a couple seconds difference in startup 4 me
Old 03-01-2008, 01:22 AM
calvino

IMO pull start, just make shure you don't flood the engine, or bybye cord, it also helps you determine when the engine is tuned correctly, plus, it doesn't require anything to be charged........ you get the point, get a PS IMO
Old 03-01-2008, 05:27 PM
beer=food
Banned

Yea, flooding is a wank starts nexus, thats why roto or ezy or tiger starts own them, its very easy to live in an area where the air conditions change alot, effecting tune, effecting start easability, you just cannot beat the lazy arse solutions the industry has come up with, a pullstart is very old tech, reliable yes, but so are ALL the other types if use correctly, they do not always save carrying extra things around, a pull start means you still carry a glow plug starter and its battery, whats the difference between that or an ezy start wand, tiger starts are also very handy with the drill being useable in maintanence as well as starting, roto starts are indeed better than wank starts, the hand wand part of the roto almost always lasts forever, the engine roto back plate lasts as long as a pull start if you use it right, you never snap a string, now back to the first line, if your tune is out or you flood it, HANDS UP ALL THOSE WHO HAVE HAD BLISTERS FROM THEM WANKSTARTS ? hahahaha, not me ever again, l have some pull starts still, when lve run them in l change them over to roto's.
Hands up all those who , like me when l first got into nitro over 20 years ago, are stuborn enough to not only get all blistered up on multiple fingers on not only one hand but TWO hands, hahahaha from them stupido wankstarts !
hahaha should start a poll, blistered wank starts !
Old 03-02-2008, 12:55 AM
bneterasedmynam

the roto start was actually the only part of the savage i didnt like lol.
it wasnt that it didnt work but rather the fact that its hard to line it up(a slot would have been nice), and its BIG lugging that thing around is no fun especially when u like to do long hikes with it or go to hard to reach areas to run it such as off road trails.
one thing that would have helped the roto start is if the pack also powered the glow plug, to me its still like having a pull start but having to charge a pack and carry the starter around.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:38 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I prefer the pullstart.

Mainly for the reason many have mentioned, its one less thing to carry around.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:59 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Axial pullstarts are good.. PS's are more of a pain when the engine is cold, but once warm they start even easier than rotos it seems.. If I could have an Axial pullstart on every engine, I would...
Old 03-04-2008, 12:22 AM
eastcoast_basher

Can i ask one question to the person that posted this? do you pre-heat your savage befor you start it?

if you dont,,, you should. get a cheep hair dryer. dont steal your sisters or moms. :0) and pre heat the head of the 4.6. you will save your motor and your roto start. the 4.6 is a beafy engine. i always pre heat my nitros.

just some fyi's.

good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.