Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

My twin tank mount

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 05:55 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My twin tank mount

For my twin engine Savage, I bought 2 dubro airplane tanks from one of my local RC store and mounted them on the rear of the Savage on the New Era Models tank mount.
Each of these tanks is about 300ml, which means for more than 15min runtimes for 0.28ci engines. Also, these tanks are durable, they do not shatter like the stock Savage tanks. The will flex and give some and then pop back into shape; even from bad tumbles or hits to the rear bumper.

As you can see in the pics, I used a combination of zip ties and airplane control linkage wires to secure the tanks. In the 4th and 5th pics (I took these from below), you can see the New Era Models tank plate. The square posts are the alum chassis braces, PN 86063, that I cut in half, screwed onto the New Era Model tank plate, and used some linkage posts with grub screws to hold the ends of the airplane linkages that I fashioned around the two tanks.

In these pics, I upgraded the rear springs to purple springs. I had to, the rear of the Savage is really heavy from the weight of both engines and the tanks when they are fueled up. Even with purple springs, when the Savage is on the ground, those springs still compress a fair bit, but at least not in a squat like the stock black springs let the weight of the rear do.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61896.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	1168085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up46600.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	1168086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41907.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	1168087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bu58016.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	1168088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mx22667.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	1168089  
Old 03-28-2009, 06:34 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: My twin tank mount

Very nice work..looks good.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:02 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Thanks! It's very functional, and with the use of an airplane fuel tank hand cranked pump, this makes for very clean refueling. As for looks of the total truck, well, the tanks have to remain exposed outside of the shell. Unless I get like a Suburban or Van shell for it!
Old 03-28-2009, 10:39 PM
HJJFFFAA

Is that held together with bent paperclips?
Old 03-28-2009, 11:48 PM
SAVAGEJIM

LOL, looks like it! That is actually two long continuous airplane linkage wires. I fashioned them with a vise and pliers so that they hold the tanks together. The zip ties were to ensure they dont come apart from hits and stuff.