Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

ZR.30 in XL video

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 08:13 PM
BudBud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZR.30 in XL video

I must say that it was waking up a little today. I had an officer driving through the park tell me it was doing 39 in the deep grass and his radar angle was not optimal. After yesterday's broken transmission, I replaced it with another salvaged one from the basement and installed a new dual red disk brake set. The truck was pulling wheelies fairly easily and was showing decent power. It will slam it right over the wheelie bar if you are not careful about how you accelerate. I seem to want to try running too lean on the LSN. Not that it really sounds low lean, it never races on, but it likes more low fuel than I am used to running. That may change as it breaks in more, it was running around 220 most of the time today and I actually had to set the idle down! Maybe it is getting a little running room in the piston to sleeve fitment. Glen

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23ouwHYnR20]Video link, may not be processed at time of posting![/link]
Old 04-29-2009, 09:15 PM
Sparkyf

Default RE: ZR.30 in XL video

Looks like its rippin pretty good BudBud!!
Old 04-29-2009, 09:25 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

yeah that has some real good power too it, nice and smooth power, and to me it sounds like it might have alittle more in it with some time...

the lug
Old 04-29-2009, 09:39 PM
Dsyyke

that thing rips
Old 04-29-2009, 10:13 PM
rotzilla

lookin good you might of mentioned but what pipe did you put on that beast? hows your father is he doing better?
Old 04-29-2009, 10:38 PM
bigwaltc

Glen How is your Dad?
I know you are still running it rich because it sounds a little flat on the top end. I am accustom to that I'M going to throw my rod out of the side of my block wine of your P3's [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 04-29-2009, 11:08 PM
TJ31

Enjoyable video as per usual!

It sounds like it is a pretty smooth motor, has a little wheelie power behind it as well

Can't wait to see it after a couple gallons!!
Old 04-29-2009, 11:16 PM
russ722
My Feedback: (15)

wow that thing is quick , nice video .
Old 04-30-2009, 02:57 AM
BudBud

Thanks guys, that is an 086 pipe.

Dad is suffering along, he is an old school tough guy, but he is down now. He now has to have a nurse with him when he eats, they are afraid he will choke. The good news is there is no hemmoraging within the brain, so hopefully we can start the recovery process. They are saying he had at least five mini strokes.

This 30 does have pretty decent low end and midrange power. It is really about what I had hoped for. I do not think it has much more rpm to be drawn, it is flat on top and that is also about what we expected. It is not going to scream like a P3, but it is going to be a nice power option for those who do not want to risk the Picco carb issues.

It runs nice, tunes nice, makes good power, it just does not scream. It is the best 30 engine I have run though. Glen
Old 04-30-2009, 06:09 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice.. Sounds cool in the vid.. Moves nice too.. Now just give it that extra little help with a 3-speed..
Old 04-30-2009, 07:23 AM
BudBud

I am going to gear it up a little and see if that gives it decent ground speed. It is not having any trouble pulling the truck, it goes flat in second within 100 feet or so, it should pull more gear.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:55 AM
madmaxx1

nice vid!

sorry to hear about your pop's man all the best and hope he has a quick/good recovery!

do you mind posting some of your finding's with this mill in this thread? http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8722968/tm.htm

thank's!
Old 04-30-2009, 01:48 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

I didnt catch what happend to your dad Glen, but I will be praying for him. I hate to hear that.

Looks like the .30 is moving right along[8D] I also noticed with my Axial that it seems to like to be pretty rich on the LSN. It runs best that way. Glad to hear the engine has been a good reliable, easy to tune alternative for ya.

Eric
Old 04-30-2009, 03:00 PM
BudBud

Dad had a series of srokes last week. He was recovering from a retna operation and at first they attributed some of the symtoms to the fluid in the eye and inner ear from the operation. He was experiencing vertigo. Friday his speech was getting pretty badly slurred and he was feeling generally weak, so they finally made a trip to the hospital. Earlier in the week, he had a followup appointment for the retna and they noticed a heart murmur. An MRI shows an anursim close to the heart, so now he is between a rock and a hard spot. They cannot treat the strokes as aggressively as they would like out of fear the anurism will go. Likewise, they have his blood thinned a lot for the stroke and cannot operate on the anurism. It is a tough pill to swallow.

It will be a few gallons before I want to say reliable, but historically, this line of engines has been very reliable. I will probably have to make it a point to drive this one as I usually like to grab the faster trucks, it is just more fun to run them. At least I get a bigger kick out of running the hotrods. Glen
Old 04-30-2009, 03:12 PM
madmaxx1

bud bud which version of this mill do you have? the reg zx30 or the zx30x?
Old 04-30-2009, 03:16 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The only difference between the versions is that the 30X is a truggy version - i.e. with closed backplate. Which obviously isn't in a Savage... The Spec 3 28 also had two versions.. The Losi XXL basically has a Spec 3 pullstart, the new 8T 2.0 the same engine but with closed backplate - i.e. the LRP Spec 3 "Truggy" version.. They're now called Losi 454's though - and are orange...
Old 04-30-2009, 04:01 PM
madmaxx1

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

The only difference between the versions is that the 30X is a truggy version - i.e. with closed backplate. Which obviously isn't in a Savage... The Spec 3 28 also had two versions.. The Losi XXL basically has a Spec 3 pullstart, the new 8T 2.0 the same engine but with closed backplate - i.e. the LRP Spec 3 "Truggy" version.. They're now called Losi 454's though - and are orange...
the LRP zx .30x competition has a different sleeve as well, 7 port vs 5 IIRC and is rated at slightly higher RPM and power with rev's at 33,500 and power at 4.21

i'm not 100% shure but i think that the backplate/rotostart from the .28's will work on the .30's
Old 04-30-2009, 04:23 PM
BudBud

The backing plate should work. They have the same stroke.

I found this kind of interesting, according to this page, both 30s use the same crankshaft.

[link=http://aedownloads.com/press/in_022309_lrpengines.pdf]Linky[/link]

The 28 has a different crank listed, wonder what the difference is.... Glen

Old 04-30-2009, 04:50 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

My grandfather had an anurism for a while before he passed away 4 years ago. His hips were also worn out and he was wanting a hip replacement because he got to the point it hurt him so bad that he only walked when he had to. He was the kind that couldnt stand to sit in the house so it really hurt him to have to sit around. They would have done a hip replacement had he had the surgery to fix the anurism, but the anurism surgery was a riskey one, so he decided to live with it. He passed away in his sleep one night when it ruptured and i have never been so torn up over anyone passing away yet, as i spent a lot of time with him, especially in the summers. Like i said, Ill be praying for your dad, and i hope he pulls through it.

Eric