Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

Did not know this....Savage world speed record

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Did not know this....Savage world speed record

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 03:49 PM
Doctp1885

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did not know this....Savage world speed record

Was bored at work and decided to learn a little more about HPI. Ran into this wiki on Savage and it's history. It might be outdated, but I looked at the last modification of the web and May 9, 2009 was last updated. Even though Savage is a basher, it currently holds the World Speed Record (61.9 mph) for a monster truck . Awesome!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HPI_Savage

Old 05-11-2009, 03:53 PM
MadManAndrew

Default RE: Did not know this....Savage world speed record

You know anyone, You, Me, even aa 4 year old can modify a wiki right? I don't know if that's right or not but I usually won't bet too much on something I found out off wiki being right...
Old 05-11-2009, 04:05 PM
pythonfan
My Feedback: (1)

ok, went hunting for said theirs still can't find it but worlds fastest mt is the wheelies king

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_62..._1/key_/tm.htm

and from that event is where the twin engine savage did its run going 66. something, still looking for the thread.

hey i found the thread
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6207521/tm.htm
Old 05-11-2009, 04:06 PM
Spdfrk

I dont find that hard to believe at all, with the right gearing and suspention, I bet you could get one to go even faster!
Old 05-11-2009, 08:34 PM
quadracer111

People on these forums have had faster revos.
I doubt the savage is the fastest mt.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:34 PM
rclugnut10

ORIGINAL: quadracer111

People on these forums have had faster revos.
I doubt the savage is the fastest mt.
i think it may've been in the nitro class and that was at that comp. i bet 70 is possible with a savage that guy was only runing dual k4.6's thats what 35000 tops??? maybe 36000, my point if you really want speed you want something like dual machs those turn 41000ish.... i think i know the .21 os that won words turns at least 43000 if not more..... and lays down the same power a k4.6 does....

and like i said in the other thread 90ish for a BL WK.... worlds fastest electric MT... as or 08

the lug
Old 05-11-2009, 09:41 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Pretty fast truck. Its a brushless XTM mmt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERY9_TLF86M

Eric
Old 05-12-2009, 05:35 PM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Safe to say that a Savage Flux is going to be the fastest Savage record holder. If it hasn't happened already. I believe the most current fastest mt is a highly modded Wheely King some guy at HPI built last year.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:57 PM
quadracer111

It will be if it doesnt keep blowing diffs
Old 05-12-2009, 09:18 PM
black mamba

The guys blowing Flux diffs are the guys landing at or near full throttle when messing around doing backflips and big jumps. That'll rip up ANY diff with the power a Flux puts out. Nobody is breaking diffs from just flying down the street or blasting down the straight at a speed sanctioned event. lol
Old 05-12-2009, 11:30 PM
cummins driver

ORIGINAL: black mamba

That'll rip up ANY diff with the power a Flux puts out.

You sure about ANY differential? This Dana 80 doesent seem to mind the 800ft lbs of torque my dodge/cummins is running through it
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15401.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	1197104   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74699.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	1197105   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nt46247.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	1197106  
Old 05-12-2009, 11:36 PM
fabrimacator21

Dana 80? I didn't know they made anything over a 70. How big is the ring gear?
Old 05-13-2009, 12:12 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Fab, it was OE in the 94-01 Ram 2500/3500s.

800 lb ft out of a modified Cummins? dude, all you need to do is crank the boost and add injectors to do that...it's not like it's anything to brag about...

Oh, and buy some tires that aren't Mastercraps

Anyway

ThunderbirdJunkie is certain that his Savage with a real motor could do 60 as it sits.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:33 AM
cummins driver

It wasnt OEM in all cummins. Ring gear on the 80 is 11.25 inch. D70 is 10.5 inch. The difference in the size of the pinion and pinion shaft is also huge.

Most 1994-2002 2500 automatics had Dana 70's. That is what mine had before i made the swap. I killed 2 D70's before going to this 80. Put stress cracks in the pinions on both of them and chipped some teeth off. All the 3500's and the 5 speed trucks had dana 80's. In 2003 they went to AAM for axles.

TBJ- I have stock, unmodified injectors. 800ft lbs is nothing to laugh at. Obviously it is no problem to get more out of them. I have a set of bigger injectors and ARP 12mm head studs waiting to go in, just havent put them in so that my transmission will live a little longer. I also drive this thing every day, and dont want to go to too big of a turbo. Put a big turbo on one and hook to a trailer and you will find out that sometimes, bigger sucks.

As for "cranking up the boost"... What is your expert reccomendation on how to do this and what a good boost pressure to run on the stock charger? Since it is so easy and all.

Mastercraps huh? I LOVED those tires. I got 44k miles out of them and never a problem. Tread design was awesome on them and if you find another AT/MT tire to last longer, and perform as well, let me know. My cousin had a set of BFG all terrains on his much lighter gas 2500 chevy, and they were worn out at 40k miles. Cant blame it on burning tires either, because you couldnt even power brake it!

Eric
Old 05-13-2009, 12:50 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

It wasnt OEM in all cummins. Ring gear on the 80 is 11.25 inch. D70 is 10.5 inch. The difference in the size of the pinion and pinion shaft is also huge.

Most 1994-2002 2500 automatics had Dana 70's. That is what mine had before i made the swap. I killed 2 D70's before going to this 80. Put stress cracks in the pinions on both of them and chipped some teeth off. All the 3500's and the 5 speed trucks had dana 80's. In 2003 they went to AAM for axles.

TBJ- I have stock, unmodified injectors. 800ft lbs is nothing to laugh at. Obviously it is no problem to get more out of them. I have a set of bigger injectors and ARP 12mm head studs waiting to go in, just havent put them in so that my transmission will live a little longer. I also drive this thing every day, and dont want to go to too big of a turbo. Put a big turbo on one and hook to a trailer and you will find out that sometimes, bigger sucks.

As for "cranking up the boost"... What is your expert reccomendation on how to do this and what a good boost pressure to run on the stock charger? Since it is so easy and all.

Mastercraps huh? I LOVED those tires. I got 44k miles out of them and never a problem. Tread design was awesome on them and if you find another AT/MT tire to last longer, and perform as well, let me know. My cousin had a set of BFG all terrains on his much lighter gas 2500 chevy, and they were worn out at 40k miles. Cant blame it on burning tires either, because you couldnt even power brake it!

Eric
Why would you care about what a good boost pressure was? Just completely remove the wastegate! or weld it shut, whichever applies

What's good about the tread design? It can't do anything. It's too mild to be a good off road tire, and it's too aggressive to be a good street tire. Either you want a mud terrain or you don't, and anybody that decides to go "halvsies" by getting an all terrain needs to get their heads examined, and need to make up their mind. If you weren't cheap, you'd get some Michelin LTX M/S's, or some good MT's.

BFG AT's have a habit of lasting 60k+ on REAL diesel trucks (99+ Powerstrokes), do not know what your cousin did wrong.

At any rate...your Dana 80 is still a pos Dana axle that will leak from the pinion seal at 40k miles, and leak at the axle seals at 100,000. Granted, still better than the POS AAMs that have axle seals leak at 30k miles regardless of what they are.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:07 AM
cummins driver

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Why would you care about what a good boost pressure was? Just completely remove the wastegate! or weld it shut, whichever applies

What's good about the tread design? It can't do anything. It's too mild to be a good off road tire, and it's too aggressive to be a good street tire. Either you want a mud terrain or you don't, and anybody that decides to go "halvsies" by getting an all terrain needs to get their heads examined, and need to make up their mind. If you weren't cheap, you'd get some Michelin LTX M/S's, or some good MT's.

BFG AT's have a habit of lasting 60k+ on REAL diesel trucks (99+ Powerstrokes), do not know what your cousin did wrong.

At any rate...your Dana 80 is still a pos Dana axle that will leak from the pinion seal at 40k miles, and leak at the axle seals at 100,000. Granted, still better than the POS AAMs that have axle seals leak at 30k miles regardless of what they are.
Thats what i thought. You have no idea what kind of boost they run

What is good about the tread design? Its as deep as an MT tire, and tread spacing is just slightly closer than an MT. They go as good as an MT in the mud. I have MT's on the truck now. I should know. My dad runs Michelin LTX M/S's on his dodge. They are great on the road, but suck on anything but that.

You are smoking something if you get BFG AT's to last 60k miles. I have seen several sets get no where near that. Maybe if you drive on strictly grass, or ice they will go that long? Dont even get me started on a powerstroke.

POS dana 80, huh? My cousin busted his 80 last year in his 600hp pulling truck. It had 230k miles on it without ever being rebuilt, and 2 years of nothing but pulling every weekend during the summer on it. Yeah, a real POS.

Eric
Old 05-13-2009, 01:16 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

They are great on the road, but suck on anything but that.
Yeah, kind of like all trucks

TRUCKS are not meant to go off road. Only posers wheel trucks, with few exceptions. a long wheelbase Dodge is not well suited to tight trails. Must chap your hide that ThunderbirdJunkie's Jeep with nothing but a locker, 3" lift, and bald 31s will do more off road than your truck.
Course you probably don't really know what a locker IS because you're a mud monkey. OOOH EE LOOKEY HERE I FOUND ME SOME MUD.

Those Mastercrap AT's are not as good in mud as a real mud tire, or as good off road as a genuine off road tire. Put some boggers or MT/R's or Cooper STT's or something on there, really try WHEELING your truck instead of splashing through mud puddles like a 5 year old, and quit posing

Maybe you're getting the point...nobody gives a crap about your truck on an RC forum, just like nobody gives a crap about ThunderbirdJunkie's Jeep.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:32 AM
cummins driver

Yeah, kind of like all trucks

TRUCKS are not meant to go off road. Only posers wheel trucks, with few exceptions. a long wheelbase Dodge is not well suited to tight trails. Must chap your hide that ThunderbirdJunkie's Jeep with nothing but a locker, 3" lift, and bald 31s will do more off road than your truck.
Course you probably don't really know what a locker IS because you're a mud monkey. OOOH EE LOOKEY HERE I FOUND ME SOME MUD.

Those Mastercrap AT's are not as good in mud as a real mud tire, or as good off road as a genuine off road tire. Put some boggers or MT/R's or Cooper STT's or something on there, really try WHEELING your truck instead of splashing through mud puddles like a 5 year old, and quit posing

Maybe you're getting the point...nobody gives a crap about your truck on an RC forum, just like nobody gives a crap about ThunderbirdJunkie's Jeep.
I dont run my truck off road unless i need to, which happens quite often on a farm. Im not really into 4 wheeling. I never cared for caking the underside of my truck with mud for no reason. I use my truck for whatever i want to do with it, and its a jack of all trades. Haul a tractor with it one day, unhook, and go to the dragstrip for some fun, drive it to church the next day, and then to work on Monday.

It must chap your hide that my truck would drag your jeep around without even knowing it had anything behind it.

As for a locker... thats a pretty simple concept to grasp for most people. A limited slip is much better suited for everyday on and off highway use though. Crawling is about the only situation where a locker is better than a limited slip.

Maybe you will get the point that i dont care what you think. I obviously posted the pictures of my Dana 80 as a joke, but then again, I guess it wasnt so obvious for you to figure it out, because you still havent

Old 05-13-2009, 02:39 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

I dont run my truck off road unless i need to, which happens quite often on a farm. Im not really into 4 wheeling. I never cared for caking the underside of my truck with mud for no reason. I use my truck for whatever i want to do with it, and its a jack of all trades. Haul a tractor with it one day, unhook, and go to the dragstrip for some fun, drive it to church the next day, and then to work on Monday.

It must chap your hide that my truck would drag your jeep around without even knowing it had anything behind it.

As for a locker... thats a pretty simple concept to grasp for most people. A limited slip is much better suited for everyday on and off highway use though. Crawling is about the only situation where a locker is better than a limited slip.

Maybe you will get the point that i dont care what you think. I obviously posted the pictures of my Dana 80 as a joke, but then again, I guess it wasnt so obvious for you to figure it out, because you still havent

ThunderbirdJunkie doesn't care that your truck would drag his Jeep around, because it will never happen. The only reason your truck would be hooked to ThunderbirdJunkie's Jeep is because ThunderbirdJunkie's Jeep was stuck...and if ThunderbirdJunkie's Jeep is stuck, then your truck would not be able to get TO where ThunderbirdJunkie's Jeep was stuck, so it's a pretty moot point about cummins driver's truck being able to drag ThunderbirdJunkie's Jeep around, isn't it?

Jack of all trades...uh...that means your truck isn't very good at any thing.
800 lb ft at the drag strip wtih a 7,000 lb curb weight at the drag strip would make ThunderbirdJunkie's grandmother yawn.
Jesus thinks the build quality of the 94-01 Dodge fullsizes sucks. So, you might as well not go to church.
ThunderbirdJunkie hates mud. Mud is for people that like spending lots and lots of money on parts. ThunderbirdJunkie is not that person, which is why he prefers non-Kingstar-powered Savages.
And as for a locker, let's revisit that first line that you typed...
I dont run my truck off road unless i need to, which happens quite often on a farm.
So, if it's off road often, then you are lax in your judgement with NOT putting a locker in your truck. Even an Ox locker is only about $800, and would help tremendously in any off road situation.

Sorry if ThunderbirdJunkie enjoys traction, and you apparently enjoy wheelspin.

I obviously posted the pictures of my Dana 80 as a joke
Because Dana axles ARE a joke!

Bottom line...your Savage is slow. Your Ram is slow.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:00 AM
fabrimacator21

This thread is about to get locked and I smelll some bans coming. How about we get this thread back on track? PM if you want to talk about 1:1 chit.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:41 AM
cummins driver

ThunderbirdJunkie doesn't care that your truck would drag his Jeep around, because it will never happen. The only reason your truck would be hooked to ThunderbirdJunkie's Jeep is because ThunderbirdJunkie's Jeep was stuck...and if ThunderbirdJunkie's Jeep is stuck, then your truck would not be able to get TO where ThunderbirdJunkie's Jeep was stuck, so it's a pretty moot point about cummins driver's truck being able to drag ThunderbirdJunkie's Jeep around, isn't it?

Jack of all trades...uh...that means your truck isn't very good at any thing.
800 lb ft at the drag strip wtih a 7,000 lb curb weight at the drag strip would make ThunderbirdJunkie's grandmother yawn.
Jesus thinks the build quality of the 94-01 Dodge fullsizes sucks. So, you might as well not go to church.
ThunderbirdJunkie hates mud. Mud is for people that like spending lots and lots of money on parts. ThunderbirdJunkie is not that person, which is why he prefers non-Kingstar-powered Savages.
And as for a locker, let's revisit that first line that you typed...
I dont run my truck off road unless i need to, which happens quite often on a farm.
So, if it's off road often, then you are lax in your judgement with NOT putting a locker in your truck. Even an Ox locker is only about $800, and would help tremendously in any off road situation.

Sorry if ThunderbirdJunkie enjoys traction, and you apparently enjoy wheelspin.

I obviously posted the pictures of my Dana 80 as a joke
Because Dana axles ARE a joke!

Bottom line...your Savage is slow. Your Ram is slow.

It has a limited slip, which is far better than any locker in a daily driver that goes off road when it needs to. I have never had a situation where i was spinning and only 1 back tire was spinning. And as a matter of fact, I have never had it stuck either.

My savage might be slow. My dodge is faster than anything you own though
Old 05-13-2009, 12:01 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Ok, this one went from a high speed savage thread to a completely off topic discussion. If you guys want to discuss something off topic, create a new off topic forum or discuss amongst yourselves. Stay respectful not to highjack others threads lest they highjack yours in return. Now, back to your regularly scheduled topic...
Old 05-13-2009, 12:17 PM
cummins driver

So, can i post my pictures again?

Seriously though, the wheely king that has the record, honestly isnt a monster truck in my opinion. It is lowered to right on the ground and has small car wheels and tires. I think its ok to lower an MT for a speed record, but its not really a monster truck without MT wheels and tires.

Eric
Old 05-13-2009, 04:21 PM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: Dale Gribble

Ok, this one went from a high speed savage thread to a completely off topic discussion. If you guys want to discuss something off topic, create a new off topic forum or discuss amongst yourselves. Stay respectful not to highjack others threads lest they highjack yours in return. Now, back to your regularly scheduled topic...
If you were referring to me, I was just clarifying the gentleman above me...no hijack intended or wanted. Like any of my threads have never been hijacked right? lol
Old 05-13-2009, 04:25 PM
black mamba

So, can i post my pictures again?

Seriously though, the wheely king that has the record, honestly isnt a monster truck in my opinion. It is lowered to right on the ground and has small car wheels and tires. I think its ok to lower an MT for a speed record, but its not really a monster truck without MT wheels and tires.

Eric
I agree, but considering the basic structure is based upon the King, they have to give it to him. On the otherhand, aside from being dropped to the pavement and BL powered, it's still recognizable as a King if you take a good look at it. I'm dying to see what HPI has done to a Savage Flux. Can you say 100mph MT?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.