IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

comments on GP Pitts Special

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 11:28 PM
Thunderbolt47
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default comments on GP Pitts Special

Does anyone have a GP Pitts? What do you like or don't like I was thinking of buying one.
Old 02-05-2003, 12:42 AM
EXCAP232
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Pitts

Have one on the bench. Really nice plane. Make sure you get the new version or see the website to correct problems with the first batch.

Professional painting and covering would cost what this complete kit does. Really good value at $400.00 street price.

Friend was flying with a G-62 and had the stab fail. He did not install the flying wires (which I consider mandatory with a gas engine and good idea on most flat stabs in this size plane). I plan a BME 50 which is really light and produces more power than the G-62.

Good luck with yours.

EXCAP232
Old 02-06-2003, 11:39 PM
flyster63
My Feedback: (3)

Default Pitts

I have one of them with a US41 on it. Had it up 5 or 6 times now. They are wonderful kits and they fly great when powered properly without to much weight. With the setup I have it weights in at 15lbs and has several hundred feet of vertical climb. But with the plane this light it is able to do a tail wheel first landing.
Old 02-07-2003, 05:00 AM
Lowlevldevl
My Feedback: (1)

flyster63:

I am putting a GP Pitts together now, and have a US 41 for mine also. How did you mount your engine? Did you have to have a prop hub extension or anything else special, or did it mount up exactly right? What prop are you using on the 41?
Old 02-07-2003, 02:04 PM
flyster63

I did it the hard way. The manual calls for using 2 pieces of plywood so you can recess the bolts for the engine in the first one and then bolt the whole thing to the firewall. What I did was used some bolts running through the cup mount into the firewall and used large washers and locking nuts behind the firewall. I have two of the 41's and I could only do this with one of them because of the bolt holes were too close on the other one. Also using the 2 lite-ply pieces pushed the hub too far out. If you can get the engine mounted flat to the firewall it will give your prop about 1/8 inch clearance of the cowl. I am running a 18X10 prop on mine if I'm right, I have used both an 18X10 and a 20X8, but I think I'm running the 18X10 right now.

Hope this helps
Mark Ramsey
Old 02-07-2003, 04:47 PM
epc
My Feedback: (33)

My Pitts w zdz/60.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	53437_2844.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	32591  
Old 02-20-2003, 05:03 AM
daywalker
My Feedback: (5)

EXCAP232-
How can you tell if you're getting the new version? I don't see any indications with the retailers. Also, is the new version the one with updated wing mounting? Thanks!
Old 02-20-2003, 09:33 AM
EXCAP232
My Feedback: (12)

Default New Version Question

Originally posted by daywalker
EXCAP232-
How can you tell if you're getting the new version? I don't see any indications with the retailers. Also, is the new version the one with updated wing mounting? Thanks!
The new version has a sticker on the center section of the wing stating "Updated" and the wing parts themselves are also stamped. This sticker is on the outside of the bubble wrap on this part. If you buy a kit that has been around for a while then you may get an older version. If it is not stamped it would be the older version. The wing mounting is similar however the cabane mounting holes are different where they attach to the fuselage.

EXCAP232
Old 02-21-2003, 12:41 AM
daywalker
My Feedback: (5)

Thanks for the reply!
Old 03-07-2003, 02:49 AM
flyster63

Well we have come to our first major problems with the Pitts. this past Saturday we were really flying it, putting it through a good solid day of flying. On the next to last flight the spinner flew apart while in flight, luckily the prop smacked it straight down and there was no damage to the plane. After landing and checking everything out real good she was back up in the air flying again. After about 5-8 minutes into the flight I noticed that the plane was constantly climbing. The plane was brought in immediately for fear there was something wrong. And we were right, both of the front mounting brackets on the top wing had snapped down the center of the bend, allowing the leading edge to raise up about an 1/2 inch or so. I contacted Great Planes on Tuesday but still haven't heard back from them and it's now Thursday night. Does anyone know of a stronger bracket that will work on this kit? Don't get me wrong, I still feel the kit is an awesome kit and have no bad feelings toward Great Planes in this matter.
Old 03-07-2003, 03:43 AM
epc
My Feedback: (33)

GP will replace those brackets with the new that are much stronger.

epc.
Old 03-08-2003, 09:59 PM
BigBirdFlyer
My Feedback: (13)

I havea Brisson 2.4. Will this be enough engine for the Pitts?
Old 03-09-2003, 03:38 AM
flyster63

BigBird Flyer,

I don't have any personal experience with the Brison 2.4, but from what I've read I think it will fly the plane better than scale. The US41 is awesome on mine, wing loading is low enough to do tail wheel first landings without tip stalling, and has almost unlimited vertical.
Old 03-09-2003, 05:22 AM
dc3capt

I'll sale you mine, people make excuses for this thing when the wings, tail or engine falls off or when it starts to fly funny and there lucky enough to get it back on the ground in one piece. The airplane looks good enough to cloud good judgment. 300.00 bucks, you pick up, or I'll just let it hang in the garage, It really does look good, I just don't want to run the risk of getting sued when this thing comes apart. Bob