Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

converting existing 9303 to 2.4 ghz

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 07:05 PM
P-40 DRIVER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default converting existing 9303 to 2.4 ghz

Are we going to be able to convert our existing 9303's to a 2.4 ghz system through a module swap and a new ant. at some point. I would hate to give such a nice radio which I paid good money for, to update to 2.4 ghz.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:41 PM
Mac_Man_UK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: converting existing 9303 to 2.4 ghz

Looking at the size of the Spektrum RF PCB and the space that the current Module interface pcb takes up, it wouldnt surprise me if some time in the not too distant future the rear case section will house the Spektrum unit.

OR perhaps Spektrum will release a module to fit.

Either option is available to them really.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:44 AM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm also very interested in doing this and interested in the answer.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:13 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Horizon/Spektrum has repeatedly stated that they will not be doing Spektrum modules for aircraft use, for any radio system including JR.

I have always felt this was a very shortsighted postion, but with some of the new features of the DX-7, it is now much harder to module the system for older radio use. The new DX-7 has done away with PPM encoding on the TX and sends direct digital from the sticks to the DX-7 tx rf unit to the DX-7 RX, speeding up the link.

If they modulize the DX-7, they would have to add a PPM or PCM translator to the front end of the module, which does slow things down a little bit more...

Some people have converted DX-6 tx boards to work with the 9303, Hitec and Futaba module systems. There is a thread over on R/C groups in the DIY electronics section if you care to research it. To be fair to Hitec/Spektrum, this is probably not the forum to duscuss the details of those conversions.

Untill someone else rolls out a 2.4 gHz module solution, the XtremeLink module system that is close to being released is the only game in town.

http://www.xtremepowersystems.net
Old 10-25-2006, 04:33 AM
Piet Le Roux

I see the UK has a UHF band available for RC (458.5MHz to 459.5 MHz) does JR make receivers and TX models for this band ?
Old 10-25-2006, 09:39 AM
Mac_Man_UK

Not to my knowledge. To get JR to manufacture for this band, there would have to be a minimum order run otherwise it would be costly. I doubt if there would be enough people interested enough to switch into that band as it would mean all new receivers....
Old 11-23-2006, 12:05 PM
camss69

ORIGINAL: Thomas B

Horizon/Spektrum has repeatedly stated that they will not be doing Spektrum modules for aircraft use, for any radio system including JR.

I have always felt this was a very shortsighted postion, but with some of the new features of the DX-7, it is now much harder to module the system for older radio use. The new DX-7 has done away with PPM encoding on the TX and sends direct digital from the sticks to the DX-7 tx rf unit to the DX-7 RX, speeding up the link.

If they modulize the DX-7, they would have to add a PPM or PCM translator to the front end of the module, which does slow things down a little bit more...

Some people have converted DX-6 tx boards to work with the 9303, Hitec and Futaba module systems. There is a thread over on R/C groups in the DIY electronics section if you care to research it. To be fair to Hitec/Spektrum, this is probably not the forum to duscuss the details of those conversions.

Untill someone else rolls out a 2.4 gHz module solution, the XtremeLink module system that is close to being released is the only game in town.

http://www.xtremepowersystems.net

It seems like they (JR) are going to be loosing money if they don't come up with some sort of module conversion. At the same time if they do I would imagine it would put Spektrum out of business (or seriously reduce) because why would I buy a Spektrum when I could just convert my beloved 9303. Right now I'll tell you this, the first time I see someone show up at my field with one of the Xtremepowersystem setups and it is a good as they say my money is going to them. I have frequency conflicts at my field now and I'm holding off buying the synthesized module so I can go 2.4gig. I could see buying a module but not a whole new radio system. The claimed capabilities (of xtremepwr) is pretty impressive, including all the sensors you could possibly want (for real time telemetry) and even enough bandwidth for live video! Impressive if they can actually deliver. It seems to me that JR would benefit from providing existing customers the ability to upgrade existing transmitters. Even if it wasn't quite as good, such as no video capability and even no telemetry I would probably still go with the JR module over xtreme because it a factory supplied upgrade, but if it's not available then I guess there is only one choice.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:13 PM
grind2tenths
My Feedback: (17)

Think about! Horizon (JR) is in the money making business they want to sell new radios not modules. They will sell a gazillon of the DX7's Then they will give us the DX9s and so on. I'm waiting on someone to come up with the module and RX in 2.4 and not replacing my 10x.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:10 AM
camss69

Old 12-01-2006, 06:52 AM
buyandfly
My Feedback: (34)

Do you really think fliers are going to buy the DX7 solely for the purpose of having no freq conflict and give up the versatility of the 9303 or 10X? I have a 10X and will put up with a little inconvenience before losing my 10X capability. Ask yourself how serious is the frequency conflict where you fly.
AMA 804857
Old 12-01-2006, 07:51 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes -in a word--
As an Amateur Radio flyer -I use only Ham frequencies for my planes ---except for my tiny electrics .these have been all on 72 mhz.
My new 7 gets here today - - my 72 mhz stuff was all sold yesterday-
There was never a problem with any of the 72 equipment.
The problem has been generated by the influx of very inexpensive ARF models .
I now see people show up to fly , with a new RTF-- and--an old 72 mhz radio - seen stuff which is obsolete ( not stickered for narrow band ,etc..)
These guys - so far have been good about not flying , when the problems are explained.-when someone notices them -and everyone is very watchful now-
Howsomeever---It is obvious that this is only the tip of the iceberg. Some will never ask or check the boards and setting up at otherwise unused "flying sites " is a certainty.
27 years ago , My son lost his pattern plane here, due to a granpa nad his grandson, who setup to fly behind a small hill -at our flying site - they were on same frequency and of course - the conflict shot down the expensive (and trophy winning)plane . When the pair were discovered , the granpa was surprised and flustered -(no payment offered tho)- he just wanted to try flying and did not want anybody else to see that he did not really know how .
So -YES for me --- 72---good riddance -
I fly on 53 .xx which is not available -new -anymore and not available to non licensed flyers . and -we enforce it here.
One putz tried using it here years back -with no license -n said "what are you going to do about it ?"
he found out when the Federal guy knocked on his door .
Unfortunately for the clown, -one of the flyers has a relative in the FCC- and the use of non licensed frequencies was thoroughly "explained".
Old 12-01-2006, 08:16 AM
buyandfly
My Feedback: (34)

I am also a Ham ( KF4U ) and 6 meters is the last place I would fly. If you feel the conversion is right for you then it is the right thing to do. My point is converting just for the sake of converting probably does not make sence for the majority of fliers, especially when you are giving up loads of radio capability in the case of a high end radio.
Ken
Old 12-01-2006, 09:12 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 53.xx stuff is bulletproof here in Utah. I have used it very actively since mid 1980's.-in all the high end JR equip. (10 series etc..)
JR abandoned 53.xx a few years ago -but kept 50:xx-- all the better for me -fewer potential conflicts-I still get repair bits as needed.
Ham com has diminished here - -I sold my base and portable stuff long ago and even my really diehard friends use it only infrequently.
The cell phone -is of course - king of the hill
KA7PON
Old 12-02-2006, 10:51 AM
onewasp

ORIGINAL: dick Hanson

The 53.xx stuff is bulletproof here in Utah. I have used it very actively since mid 1980's.-in all the high end JR equip. (10 series etc..)
JR abandoned 53.xx a few years ago -but kept 50:xx-- all the better for me -fewer potential conflicts-I still get repair bits as needed.

KA7PON
Dick,

Be happy with your G-O-O-D fortune!
I've flown on six for 30+ years (Gen. Class)-----different part of the country----(you used to live close by) ---- had to leave 53 some time ago and was literally shot out of the sky on 50MHz about a year ago.

The propagation on six here is approaching saturation (with a LOT of DX from the Islands off our south eastern coast---particularly in the spring and early summer).

That coupled with the "Which way is up??" Tech exam they use today and the new licensees know only where the on and off switch is located and I'm not too certain they can get that straight 100% of the time.

I envy your clean air ---- we were once so blessed but today 72 shows cleaner air.
Now, THAT is scary!

signed:

A General Class forced to the dregs of the RF spectrum----
Damn, ----and I had to take a two hour written and verbal test in front of the FCC examiners to gain my ticket! And, as you will know, that was after traveling to one of a Half dozen FCC offices in the USA to take the exam at THEIR specified time and date!

Still, I'm not quite ready to sell my 10X! But I certainly am looking fondly at 2.4Gig.
Old 12-02-2006, 05:26 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Well, I have to confess that I caved the instant I saw the new DX-7 at the hobby shop yesterday, despite my best intentions.....

Put two flights on it today on a sport electric model..a fairly fast non parkflyer one....worked as advertised!

The TX interface is very nice....even though I am a dyed in the wool Futaba guy...

Nice job, Spektrum and Horizon!
Old 12-03-2006, 04:30 PM
onewasp

Thomas B

I'll have to admit that as I've worked my way through the threads I think I'll try the DX-7----Now!

I don't really need the servos and I will keep my 10X and all the Rx's as I do NOT believe that its day is done.

Simply a case of too much to learn and experience with the 2.4 GHz Spektrum.

I shall follow you shortly (as in next week)----- but then again I'm a JR guy, but I've flown 'em all----!
I'm just personally VERY satisfied with my JR experience which began back in '81.

I understand that Spektrum is a separate entity but in my opinion their relationship probably is much more than simply that of a supplier/vendor.
It's going to be an interesting year ----- kind of like when Bonner introduced the 4RS and then EVERYONE joined the march and it was ALL better than that which we had had up to that point.